Why not from Florida

LSL

Wondering why all cruises to Bermuda seem to originate in the New York area. Why aren't there any leaving out of Florida ports?

There used to be a few cruises in April from FLL to Bermuda (maybe in the '90s) but none now.. I would think Jacksonville would have been a good port for those but understand there may not be any cruises from Jax after 20ll? We were hoping for some from Charleston when Fantasy moved there but the few they have are only an 18-24 hr port call and 4 days of cruising = not worth it for destination like Bermuda!

Wondering why all cruises to Bermuda seem to originate in the New York area. Why aren't there any leaving out of Florida ports?

Florida already has multiple ports covering the entire Caribbean market....and at dirt cheap prices for Fla. residents too. Let the folks up north get a little piece of something. Sheesh.

"Florida already has multiple ports covering the entire Caribbean market....and at dirt cheap prices for Fla. residents too. Let the folks up north get a little piece of something. Sheesh"

You're right. There has to be something for the "Nawthenurs" Y'all can have the snow.

"Florida already has multiple ports covering the entire Caribbean market....and at dirt cheap prices for Fla. residents too. Let the folks up north get a little piece of something. Sheesh"

You're right. There has to be something for the "Nawthenurs" Y'all can have the snow.

Having just gotten back from your "neck of the woods", y'all can keep your heat and dripping wet humidity all to yourselves.:p:D

Having just gotten back from your "neck of the woods", y'all can keep your heat and dripping wet humidity all to yourselves.:p:D

OK, you can keep your snow storms and below zero nip in the air. I would still love to cruise to Bermuda from Florida.

Did an overnight in Bermuda on a Transatlantic Oceania yrs. ago. My take is there is just not enough demand. Its just not exciting like Carib. or that its for the over 70 set perception is probably true. Also short season. Costa did one, last yr. or this year I think.

OK, you can keep your snow storms and below zero nip in the air. I would still love to cruise to Bermuda from Florida.

Nothing beats a white Christmas......Christmas lights on palm trees just don't cut it either and a below zero nip in the air is not a given.:p

Did an overnight in Bermuda on a Transatlantic Oceania yrs. ago. My take is there is just not enough demand. Its just not exciting like Carib. or that its for the over 70 set perception is probably true. Also short season. Costa did one, last yr. or this year I think.

Then I would think going out of Florida they wouldn't have a hard time filling the ships.:D

From Florida ports to Bermuda would take more sea time than from New York. New York is closer to Bermuda than Miami or Ft. Lauderdale are to Bermuda. There would be less time in Bermuda from Florida. From south Florida to Cozumel is less distance than south Florida to Bermuda. So cruises from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda make less sense economically than from the northeast.

You really can't even compare Bermuda to the Carib. Not even on the same scale. I have been there 5 summers in a row and won't go for less than 7 days. Bermuda is beautiful, people are great and there is so much to do alot of us keep going back. I was alot less than 70 when I started my love for Bermuda. Alot of places you visit in the Carib. are unsafe,you only spend like hours in each port and people harrass you for money. Some places tell you not to even stray away from the excursion you are on. just my own opinion:D

You really can't even compare Bermuda to the Carib. Not even on the same scale. I have been there 5 summers in a row and won't go for less than 7 days. Bermuda is beautiful, people are great and there is so much to do alot of us keep going back. I was alot less than 70 when I started my love for Bermuda. Alot of places you visit in the Carib. are unsafe,you only spend like hours in each port and people harrass you for money. Some places tell you not to even stray away from the excursion you are on. just my own opinion:D
\

I agree. Bermuda blows every other port of call out of the water (pun intended). Being there overnight, I felt safe getting off the ship at all hours, when I can honestly tell you, I would NOT dare do that in the Caribbean or even the Bahamas. The people are so friendly, no one harrassed me for hair braiding, or to buy things, or put a "free" necklace around my neck without my consent only to rip it off when I said I didn't have money with me.

Florida has the biggest ships and a huge variety of itineraries. NY pretty much has Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, St. Maarteen, Puerto Rico) - places I've been to 1,000 times, and pretty much one ship from each line to choose from. Let us have Bermuda :D

• 2 months later...
There used to be a few cruises in April from FLL to Bermuda (maybe in the '90s) but none now.. I would think Jacksonville would have been a good port for those but understand there may not be any cruises from Jax after 20ll? We were hoping for some from Charleston when Fantasy moved there but the few they have are only an 18-24 hr port call and 4 days of cruising = not worth it for destination like Bermuda!

Too bad that Jacksonville is in jeopardy; please keep us posted. NCL had 7 night Bermuda from Charleston then pulled out. I agree that a cruise to Bermuda needs at least 48 hours in port no matter where you are cruising from!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Right! NCL went 7 days and spent 3 nights in Bermuda out of Charleston SC Why can't Carnival Fantasy spend 2 nights on a 6 day cruise. They are only offering 1 night..they want you to spend money on their ship. Bermuda is just too awesome to only spend one night - but will go anyway. Maybe Carnival will wise up to what people want if enough people say something...

I suspect it is partly due to the cheaper competition. With so many ships sailing out of Florida, the prices tend to be more competitive. Bermuda is an inherently more expensive cruise, due to the high port fees and the inflated local economy. They also strictly control the number of passengers that may be in port.

Given the choice of a cheaper Caribbean cruise next to a more expensive Bermuda cruise, perhaps the cruise lines don't want to drop the prices enough to fill the ships to their allowed capacity.

Theron

I don't mind paying a little more to go to Bermuda! I agree w/ above post that it is better than any Caribbean island. We are paying about 150 more pp for an inside on Celebrity to Bermuda that we would normally pay for a 7-nighter on RCI, Carnival or NCL in an inside...Charleston is ideal homeport for Bermuda but the Fantasy's schedule on its few cruises is a joke..

Florida already has multiple ports covering the entire Caribbean market....and at dirt cheap prices for Fla. residents too. Let the folks up north get a little piece of something. Sheesh.

Where did you get the idea that Florida residents get dirt cheap prices? We have the same prices as anyone else. If there is a residency special, it sometimes does not involve Florida residents:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived