Toronto to Venice

LJH1

Munich is the best. It is considerably smaller than the other two choices. Ignoring important items such as aircraft types, carrier, schedules, etc., this would be my choice.

AMS would be my second choice. Large, but well organized single terminal airport (with an excellent art museum, even).

FRA, while my last choice of the three, is hardly a bad airport. Some people seem to have problems with it .. it does sprawl ... but, while not my favorite place to connect, it is not an airport I actively avoid.

For me, it would depend on how much time you have for the connection. I flew from Venice to Toronto with a 50 min connect in Frankfurt and broke my own land speed record for airport transfers. Frankfurt has no people movers, or at least where I was. The plane was already loading by the time I got to the gate.

How about Philly, NY, or Atlanta? If you fly into those you can look at Delta or US Air direct.

I have a few options but need to know which airports are better for changing flights with less chaos . I can change in Munich, Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

Thanks

How about Philly, NY, or Atlanta? If you fly into those you can look at Delta or US Air direct.

Why would you want to connect in one of those cities? If you miss your connecting flight it is going to be MUCH harder to get to Venice from Philly (or even NYC) than from Amsterdam.

It is not as if the cities you mention have great airports.

Why would you want to connect in one of those cities? If you miss your connecting flight it is going to be MUCH harder to get to Venice from Philly (or even NYC) than from Amsterdam.

We are flying using points on Air Canada. I'm not too worried as they will have to get me there if I miss connection. We are also going 5/6 days prior to catching b2b cruise.

Why very simply it was easy for us in the USA. Much easier IMHO than flying say from LAX to the huge hubs in Europe. Yes if you miss the connect there likely is another flight. On the other hand if you plan well international flights are very rarely canceled so just get to Philly or Atlanta early. In the summer you need to plan smartly as thunderstorms in the PM can be an issue.

Why very simply it was easy for us in the USA. Much easier IMHO than flying say from LAX to the huge hubs in Europe.
But it has the huge disadvantage of requiring you to clear immigration and customs at the connection point on your flight back from Europe to LAX. This builds in lots of room for aggravation and risk, and tends to lengthen your overall journey time because of the margin (well over the theoretical minimum) that you'd really want to build into this point in your itinerary.

Atlanta, Newark or JFK as connecting points are no smaller and no easier than connecting at Amsterdam or Frankfurt, and Munich is easier than all of those.

Just curious why you would suggest turning a one connection trip into a two connection trip?

And through PHL???-US Air and PHL-the WORST combination you could possibly take no matter where you fly.

I've done a few flights from Toronto to Venice via Frankfurt/Munich.

Couple of additional items to consider:

1) The aircraft from AMS, MUC or FRA to Venice - from FRA, MUC it's typically a smaller aircraft between 50 to 100 passengers (about the size of AC Jazz)so some of your handluggage might have to get stored in the special hold (i.e. checked in at the gate) which can be a pain b/c you have more leeway on a transatlantic on a bigger aircraft.

2) The 2nd flight will be on a partner airline - so Lufthansa for Munich/ Frankfurt (not sure who it would be from AMS) - in case that influences your decision at all (personally I tend to prefer Lufthansa).

Cheers,

CG

I have experienced on two separate occasions connections from Frankfurt Airport to BRome and Barcelona. I now will avoid the Frankfurt airport at any cost since it is huge and very confusing! I did however enjoy the Lufthansa flights. They were great.

Just my opinions.

We flew TO to Barcelona and had a connection in Frankfurt, I really enjoyed that airport as much as one does!!! I found it easy to find my way around and lots of tea and coffee stations (free)

Coming home we flew from Venice via Munich and that was OK too. Lufthansa were the partners with AC and we thought they were ery good. I would make a connection any day in Europe rather than the US, done that many times and hate the whole load of attitude via security and Borders, not worth it!

Terry

Munich is the best. It is considerably smaller than the other two choices. Ignoring important items such as aircraft types, carrier, schedules, etc., this would be my choice.

AMS would be my second choice. Large, but well organized single terminal airport (with an excellent art museum, even).

FRA, while my last choice of the three, is hardly a bad airport. Some people seem to have problems with it .. it does sprawl ... but, while not my favorite place to connect, it is not an airport I actively avoid.

I would say exactly the same. We love MUC. None are bad airports though. My favourite transfer airport is Zurich.

Thanks to all! I plan on a min. of 1 1/2 hours to change planes, As I think that should be enough.

Yes, that is enough time, as long as you are not a die-hard shopper. Minimum connecting time is around 50 minutes. You'll be fine with 1,5 hours.

I've done a few flights from Toronto to Venice via Frankfurt/Munich.

Couple of additional items to consider:

1) The aircraft from AMS, MUC or FRA to Venice - from FRA, MUC it's typically a smaller aircraft between 50 to 100 passengers (about the size of AC Jazz)so some of your handluggage might have to get stored in the special hold (i.e. checked in at the gate) which can be a pain b/c you have more leeway on a transatlantic on a bigger aircraft.

2) The 2nd flight will be on a partner airline - so Lufthansa for Munich/ Frankfurt (not sure who it would be from AMS) - in case that influences your decision at all (personally I tend to prefer Lufthansa).

Cheers,

CG

Vce is a very small airport, most intra-european flights to Vce are operated with small aircraft. Ams-Vce is KLM, nobody else flies that route. Muc-Vce is a codeshare from Lufthansa, operated by the Italian airline Air Dolomiti (actually quite ok), Fra-Vce is always Lufthansa. Would have no objections to any of these airlines.

My favourite transfer airport is Zurich.

Well, I just can't argue with you on that one;)

Why very simply it was easy for us in the USA. Much easier IMHO than flying say from LAX to the huge hubs in Europe. Yes if you miss the connect there likely is another flight. On the other hand if you plan well international flights are very rarely canceled so just get to Philly or Atlanta early. In the summer you need to plan smartly as thunderstorms in the PM can be an issue.

IMHO I much rather fly from LAX to ANY European airport and then connect to final destination. Just so much easier with so many more backup options than trying to get to a specific place in Europe from the east coast of the US. YMMV

John

Archived