What all is free?

djpolly

The Windjammer was not very limited when we were onboard. The main selection of food was closed at 4pm, however there were hot dogs, hamburgers, taco bar, etc... available in windjammer from 4 until dinner. However on DCL Topsiders closed at 3. The hot dog, hamburger type food was available on the pool deck after 3. However they did close those options around 5 pm through the dinner hours.

Bottom line is food shouldn't cost anymore on one line or the other and the food quality is about the same.:D

Somewhat correct.

Goofy's Galley: 7am - 9am, 11am - 6:30pm

Pluto's: 11am - 10pm

Pinocchio's: 11am - 6pm, 9:30pm - midnight

Topsiders: 7:30am - 11pm, 12pm - 2pm

Jim

Somewhat correct.

Goofy's Galley: 7am - 9am, 11am - 6:30pm

Pluto's: 11am - 10pm

Pinocchio's: 11am - 6pm, 9:30pm - midnight

Topsiders: 7:30am - 11pm, 12pm - 2pm

Jim

I think those hours may vary or are loosely followed. One time on the Wonder we wanted to get my kids dinner at Pluto's, Pinocchio's or Goofy's and they were all closed. This was around 6:30. We had wanted to get them dinner and send them to the club as we had Palo. By the time we realized this it was too late to get them room service. Luckily they weren't that hungry and we gave them some Lay's chips that were still out in front of Pluto's. That held them over until we got done with Palo. Pluto's and Pinocchio's were then both open (around 9pm).

Ron

I think those hours may vary or are loosely followed. One time on the Wonder we wanted to get my kids dinner at Pluto's, Pinocchio's or Goofy's and they were all closed. This was around 6:30. We had wanted to get them dinner and send them to the club as we had Palo. By the time we realized this it was too late to get them room service. Luckily they weren't that hungry and we gave them some Lay's chips that were still out in front of Pluto's. That held them over until we got done with Palo. Pluto's and Pinocchio's were then both open (around 9pm).

Ron

Actually, the hours have changed. Those were from 2009. New hours for 2010 are even better. I checked the navigators from all of our cruises and Pluto's is open the entire day on every day. Perhaps Pluto's had a problem the day you went to try it out?

Jim

I noticed that you have your last Disney cruise listed as 8/02 and your last RCCL listed in 2005. Sometime in 2007 or 2008 Disney went way downhill with their food quality in both the rotational resturants and Palo.

We have been on both lines within the last 2 years and find the food about the same on both lines. I wouldn't call it bad food, but not excellent either. It's all a matter of taste. But be aware on your next DCL cruise if you are expecting food as good as in 2002 you'll most likely be disappointed. I've cruised DCL both before and after their slide in quality and was disappointed. RCCL was not neccessarilly better, but also not worse.

That's disappointing. We'll be on the Dream, so we'll most likely eat at the two alternate restaurants while onboard.

I don't think wine is a big deal for most passengers. I know a lot of people enjoy their wine, but not most. So this wouldn't be an "extra" for most people. Besides most people, including wine drinkers, don't even BYOB. The average cruiser just isn't aware of this as being an option so it's a draw eiter way for most.

And it's really unfortunate that they aren't aware of it, they could drink much better wine for the same amount of money, or the same quality wine for a lot less. I also think you'd be surpised at how many wine afficianados there are out there.

As for the laundry. I just can't relate. I'm pretty sure a majority of DCL passengers don't bother to go to the laundromat during their cruise. I personally have never used any laundry service on any ship. I don't think this would be an "extra" for most cruisers.

We try to pack lightly, and on the DCL cruise we were away from home for over two weeks. That meant laundry. Also my son spilled something all over himself one afternoon, and I did a load rather than let the stain set.

Actually, the hours have changed. Those were from 2009. New hours for 2010 are even better. I checked the navigators from all of our cruises and Pluto's is open the entire day on every day. Perhaps Pluto's had a problem the day you went to try it out?

Jim

Glad to hear that. We will be on the Magic at the end of October and will most likely be facing a similar situation on our Palo night this time around. On our last Disney cruise we were smart enough to remember our past troubles and ordered the kids room service well in advance. My daughter's favorite food on DCL are the chicken tenders, so that will work out perfect for her.

Ron

That's disappointing. We'll be on the Dream, so we'll most likely eat at the two alternate restaurants while onboard.

And it's really unfortunate that they aren't aware of it, they could drink much better wine for the same amount of money, or the same quality wine for a lot less. I also think you'd be surpised at how many wine afficianados there are out there.

We try to pack lightly, and on the DCL cruise we were away from home for over two weeks. That meant laundry. Also my son spilled something all over himself one afternoon, and I did a load rather than let the stain set.

Well lets hope the food quality will improve with their new ship(s).

I do know that there are many wine afficianados out there.;) Just saying that they are not in the majority. So for a majority of people it wouldn't be an "extra".

Even doing your own laundry or having the cruise line do it for you would most likely not add up to more than $100 or so. I know that a couple times during a 7 night cruise RCCL offers a special $10 or $20 for a bag of laundry to get done. Certainly I would not want to put that kind of money into some laundry, but I'm not going to want to be bothered doing it during my vacation either. But I understand the light packing thing.

Either way I don't see $1500 in "hidden" fees.

Again, I enjoy both cruise lines and most times splurge on DCL. But on RCCL, I still spent about the same on extras as I did on DCL.

Ron

Archived