Wine and Dine

Has anyone done this? My husband and I are considering getting the "gold" package, as we both like to have a glass of wine with dinner. I think five bottle of wine over a nine night cruise will be enough.

Is it worth the money? Where are you allowed to drink the wine (ie does your waiter serve it and keep it with him, or can we take it to our cabin)?

RCL doesn't seem to have too much information online, so any experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks

PS I know at least one person will recommend smuggling our own on board. Thanks, but no thanks. To us, it's not worth the hassle of having the luggage confiscated and having to go claim it.

Is it possible to order a wine package for your cabin . We would also purchase one on board for the dining room. We are not much on hard liquor but enjoy our wine. Thank you for your information in advance.

:) Packages are fine, but I prefer to select bottles individually that will complement whatever we eat at that particular meal. Also with my background in wine, I have spotted several excellent buys on the RC wine list, and plan to take advantage.

Others with more experience will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they are very flexible about where you can drink your wine, if you have purchased a package.

Isn't this a great decision to be faced with...on holiday, having "blank" for dinner, what wine should I have...hmmm ? Enjoy.

Ken

Wow - I seldom find that I have answers when people ask stuff here on CC, but the wine stuff I do know :)!

Okay, first the wine package...it does save you a few bucks over purchasing the bottles one at a time in the dining room. We always order a wine package to be delivered to the dining room, and we usually choose the Gold package because the Gold wine list contains wines we like and is more economical. The Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc is a lovely white (I think it tastes like flowers smell...and it's great with any kind of seafood), and on the red side of the list we like the Caliterra merlot, the malbec, and the Rothschild Lafite as well. If you bring up your reservation, and click on Wine Packages, you can see the list of wines on the Gold Package list. We did try the Platinum package once, but went back to Gold after we realized that we had mostly ordered wines that were on the gold list, though we paid for platinum.

If you haven't consumed all the bottles in your package, you can order what you want to take home on the last night.

You'll get a sticker on your Sea Pass to show that you have the wine package, and your dining room waiter will give you the wine list for the level of package you've chosen (gold, platinum, or diamond). So you can order a different bottle each night if you want. If you don't finish the bottle at dinner, your waiter will keep it for you for the next night. You can also ask the waiter to give you a full bottle or a partial bottle to take back to your cabin - he'll also give you wine glasses and corkscrew if you need them.

We also order a bottle or two to be delivered to the cabin - do this by going to Gifts and Gear, then Wine Cellar. You can order it online, but I suggest you visit Gifts and Gear/Wine Cellar on the RC home page first so you can see the complete list with prices. Then remember what you want, go to your reservation, and you can order online and specify when you want it delivered - we always get it the first day. The wine is in the cabin when we arrive, complete with wineglasses and corkscrew, and if you order white wine or champagne it'll be maintained in an iced bucket until you finish it by your cabin steward. (This way we have wine to enjoy on the balcony before dinner that first night!) We usually just need a couple of bottles in the cabin, so we don't order a second wine package, but it can be done (delivered to the cabin) if you want.

Hope this helps...

Judy

Wow - I seldom find that I have answers when people ask stuff here on CC, but the wine stuff I do know :)!

Okay, first the wine package...it does save you a few bucks over purchasing the bottles one at a time in the dining room. We always order a wine package to be delivered to the dining room, and we usually choose the Gold package because the Gold wine list contains wines we like and is more economical. The Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc is a lovely white (I think it tastes like flowers smell...and it's great with any kind of seafood), and on the red side of the list we like the Caliterra merlot, the malbec, and the Rothschild Lafite as well. If you bring up your reservation, and click on Wine Packages, you can see the list of wines on the Gold Package list. We did try the Platinum package once, but went back to Gold after we realized that we had mostly ordered wines that were on the gold list, though we paid for platinum.

If you haven't consumed all the bottles in your package, you can order what you want to take home on the last night.

You'll get a sticker on your Sea Pass to show that you have the wine package, and your dining room waiter will give you the wine list for the level of package you've chosen (gold, platinum, or diamond). So you can order a different bottle each night if you want. If you don't finish the bottle at dinner, your waiter will keep it for you for the next night. You can also ask the waiter to give you a full bottle or a partial bottle to take back to your cabin - he'll also give you wine glasses and corkscrew if you need them.

We also order a bottle or two to be delivered to the cabin - do this by going to Gifts and Gear, then Wine Cellar. You can order it online, but I suggest you visit Gifts and Gear/Wine Cellar on the RC home page first so you can see the complete list with prices. Then remember what you want, go to your reservation, and you can order online and specify when you want it delivered - we always get it the first day. The wine is in the cabin when we arrive, complete with wineglasses and corkscrew, and if you order white wine or champagne it'll be maintained in an iced bucket until you finish it by your cabin steward. (This way we have wine to enjoy on the balcony before dinner that first night!) We usually just need a couple of bottles in the cabin, so we don't order a second wine package, but it can be done (delivered to the cabin) if you want.

Hope this helps...

Judy

thank you Judy for all of this great info...never ordered a package because DH doesn't like wine...I am very happy to know I can take the bottle back to our cabin

I forgot to mention that if you order a wine package for your cabin, I think you can either order the wines you want off the list and choose to have them delivered all at once or have them delivered individually throughout your cruise by room service. I'm not positive about this as we've never done it, but we once had a balcony neighbor who did this and this is my best recollection!

Judy

Archived