So how do these shore excursions work exactly?

lilipad2

I'm looking and planning for our upcoming cruise and I have a question. I see the times listed for the shore exs and was wondering if this is the time we have to be at the particular excursion or is that the time we meet somewhere on board to go to the excursion? I'm assuming the latter, but frankly, I don't know. I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on this. I'm interested in a Sitka outing. It's scheduled for 8:30 am and I was wondering how early I would have to get up and out the door kwim? Thanks!! :)

Usually, the time listed is the "departure" time, with meeting time 15 minutes before.

However, Sitka is a tender port, so meeting time will most likely be sooner. Not much, as it's not a long tender ride.

Alaska is so worth getting up for, though. Even I, who likes to stay up late and get up at the crack of noon, even I get up at an early hour to enjoy Alaska.

Thanks Ruth! You're a gem! Now if this is a shore ex booked through HAL, will we be meeting onboard and then getting on the tender? Or do I need to get my sorry self ashore at 8 am.

Why am I even worrying about this? 8:30 is 11:30 here. :cool:

Now if this is a shore ex booked through HAL, will we be meeting onboard and then getting on the tender? Or do I need to get my sorry self ashore at 8 am.

Almost guaranteed that you will meet on the ship, then tender as a group.

If you booked your tours in advance, then you will find a hot pink envelope on the desk when you board; that's your tour tickets. Check them to be sure that it's what you wanted. Also, check for time changes, and meeting time/place.

When tendering, if the shore ex is in the morning, generally, you meet on the ship. If the shore ex is in the afternoon, generally, you meet ashore.

This is for tendering ports only. If the ship is docked, shore ex tend to meet on the ship, whether AM or PM tours. I have had to meet ashore for a PM tour, but that's rare.

If you are going on the Otter Quest (name might have changed), the boat for that picks you up from the ship in the morning and drops you on shore at the end. For the afternoon one I think you meet it on shore and are dropped off at the ship.

In Sitka -- it was the same way for us. For the Sea Otter Wildlife tour we met in the Explorer's Lounge -- not the main show lounge -- for the morning tour. Those boats come directly out to the ship to pick up the passengers for the tour. At the end of the excursion we were dropped off ashore.

But for the afternoon excursion you have to get yourself ashore and meet the boats there.

Almost guaranteed that you will meet on the ship, then tender as a group.

If you booked your tours in advance, then you will find a hot pink envelope on the desk when you board; that's your tour tickets. Check them to be sure that it's what you wanted. Also, check for time changes, and meeting time/place.

When tendering, if the shore ex is in the morning, generally, you meet on the ship. If the shore ex is in the afternoon, generally, you meet ashore.

This is for tendering ports only. If the ship is docked, shore ex tend to meet on the ship, whether AM or PM tours. I have had to meet ashore for a PM tour, but that's rare.

To clarify: In Ketchikan our Magnificent Misty Fjords by Floatplane returns at 2:00 at that time we will have to reboard ship for 3:00 Tatoosh Island Sea Kayaking? Thanks for detailed information you are a gem!

The ticket you get for the shorex will give you the exact time and meeting place, so you'll know ahead of time when you have to get up and where you need to be. Don't stress over it. :D

Roz

. If the ship is docked, shore ex tend to meet on the ship, whether AM or PM tours. I have had to meet ashore for a PM tour, but that's rare.

I've had the opposite experience. I've never had a shore ex. meet on board at a docked port, they've always met on the pier. Granted these are only Alaska and Caribbean ports so it may be different in other areas of the world.

Archived