Changing ships in Civitavecchia Rome

modem9

We are planning to take a cruise ending in Rome and the same day get on a different ship (and line) for a second cruise.

Has anyone else done this in Civitavecchia or does anyone know if there is a convenient way to get from one ship to the other? I assume we could take a taxi but I am not sure how willing they would be to make such a short trip.

Thank you.

Alan.

The port there is really big. You will probably take the shuttle to the front and pick up the other shuttle for your other cruise. The ships would be far to walk and a taxi wouldn't take you because its too close (they wouldn't even take us to the train station since its too close).

In my experience, there is not always one shuttle dedicated to one ship--we usually stop at several ships. SO, OP, just get on the (free) shuttle and ask the driver if he can drop you at your new ship. Worst case scenario, as stated, you will ride it to the front of the port (5 minutes or so), get off, and get on a different bus back to your new ship--piece of cake, and did I mention FREE! OR, you could possibly get really lucky and have your new ship docked right next to your old one, in which case you could just roll your luggage right on over.

Just as an aside, when we were there the last time, an Italian Navy ship was docked right next to us--it was amazingly beautiful, painted glossy navy blue with tons of gilt trim. Looked like a preserved antique. But when DH tried to get a photo, he was told 'no way' in no uncertain terms--it was a case of 'national security'!

Hope you have a great time!!

We are planning to take a cruise ending in Rome and the same day get on a different ship (and line) for a second cruise.

Has anyone else done this in Civitavecchia or does anyone know if there is a convenient way to get from one ship to the other? I assume we could take a taxi but I am not sure how willing they would be to make such a short trip.

Thank you.

Alan.

What a fab idea!!! Ive spent weeks looking at cruises (to the point where its driving me mad) and the last 8hrs working out a b2b on the same cruise (even doing the same one twice)...but this is a great option....think I know what I will be doing all evening! :-)

What a fab idea!!! Ive spent weeks looking at cruises (to the point where its driving me mad) and the last 8hrs working out a b2b on the same cruise (even doing the same one twice)...but this is a great option....think I know what I will be doing all evening! :-)

ps...which cruiselines are you looking at?

Thank you very much for the information. I like the idea of getting the free shuttle and asking if they will be going to the other ship eventually. That would save us from moving the luggage on and off extra time.

We have booked way in advance and will be taking the Ocean Princess from Athens to Civitavecchia next October and then moving over to the NCL Jade for an 11 day RT Holy Land cruise.

The port day sounds like a great time to explore the nearby towns since we don't know how long it will take to move the luggage over. Not sure when they will start accepting dropoff luggage. Maybe we will take a bus over to Tarquinia.

You may be fortunate that you will be in close proximity of the other ship. While this is a fairly large port many of the passenger cruise ships such as the ones you mentioned are berthed near one another. If not, the shuttle will lwork.

Keith

I've never done a B2B - can you simply move luggage from one ship to the other, or do you need to go to the check in point and go through the entire check in process just like everyone else?

If you stay on the same ship and in the same cabin nothing more to do. If you remain on the same ship but have to move to another cabin then you will be assisted that moring to move your items to the new cabin. If you are switching ships then you must go through the embarkation process for the ship you are going to. This includes going through the registration process at the front desk area.

Keith

I've never done a B2B - can you simply move luggage from one ship to the other, or do you need to go to the check in point and go through the entire check in process just like everyone else?

If you are changing ships you will need to disembark from one ship then check-in and embark on the other ship just like evryone else.

If, however, you are staying on the same ship you just leave your things where they are (assuming you are in the same cabin).

What happens on changeover day depends very much on cruise line and the port you are changing over. Some cruises we have just stayed on board and done nothing. Others we have had to get off the ship until it is cleared then re-embark. You do not have to go through check-in again.

Edit to say Keith beat me to it

What happens on changeover day depends very much on cruise line and the port you are changing over. Some cruises we have just stayed on board and done nothing. Others we have had to get off the ship until it is cleared then re-embark. You do not have to go through check-in again.

In general this is not determined by the cruise line but how the clearance in a particular country is handled. Our experieince is that in most countries you can remain on the ship. There are very few cases where we had to leave the ship and for us that has occured mainly in USA ports.

Keith

Okay, thanks, that clears it up. So for the OP, who is changing both ships and cruise lines, it won't matter if the two ships are right next to one another, they'll still have to go to the check in point with their luggage.

You are quite right. This exact thought hit me after we answered the questions about back to back cruises.

Keith

Archived