what to do "on your own"

czexrus

My family and i usually do not do many excursions when we go to islands; we go on by ourselves and do things. We don't like the crowds and paying so much money for the excursions.

My question is if anyone has gone on their own in Belize and what they have done.

We are looking for beach or snorkeling or cave tubing, etc We will have children with us so hopefully if a beach there is activities for them.

thanks.

Just go outside of the gates and get a cab and tour the city. Make sure of the price before and that they will stop for pics etc..

There use to be horse drawn tours outside you couls do also(still might be) we opted to get a cab to cover more distance.

So much cheaper this way if you just want to see the town. Should not take over a couple hours at the most.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but this is one port that almost dictates a tour.

At the very least, get away from town. Grab a cheap boat tour to one of the Cayes. Bannister Island is nice and I heard that Fab Tours has their own island now. The best part of town is the tourist village and it is nothing but wall to wall stores and hawkers selling tours. If you want excitement go outside of the village. You will be bombarded by vendors.

we did a one hour open buggy ride. 10.00 per person . I was very eye opening . Belize city is very scarey -- lots of people yelling at you to buy things . I was a little scared a few times on our "tour" but our guy Henry assurred me that we would be fine . He took us all around the town and told us lots of details . Very high crime -- watch your valuables . I did not even pull out my camera . I enjoyed it , it is true a Belize experince .

My family and i usually do not do many excursions when we go to islands; we go on by ourselves and do things. We don't like the crowds and paying so much money for the excursions.

My question is if anyone has gone on their own in Belize and what they have done.

We are looking for beach or snorkeling or cave tubing, etc We will have children with us so hopefully if a beach there is activities for them.

thanks.

As others have posted, you're best booking an excursion in Belize. Dependiing upon the age of your children, cave tubing is an option. "CAptain Your own River boat" is also an interesting option for families wihing to spend time on th ewater but see the country side from something other than a long bus ride to Mayan Ruins. Trips to Bannister Island or Caye Caulker do provide beach time, but don't expect the beaches to be like those in the Eastern Caribbean or in Cozumel. Think less developed, "rustic" .

Horse carriages may be a bit boring for small children. but unlike some of the other posters here, my self walking tours of Belize City have been anything but scary. I found Belizeans to be very helpful and friendly when approached. Yelling vendors are only directly outside the TV and while they do have an aggressive approach in trying to get your attention, they are NOT trying to steal from you or harm you in anyway.

Definitely get out of the city. I don't find it scary or dangerous (and least not during the day, I don't think I'd want to be walking around there at night) but it's just depressing, it's so poor. And there's not much to see.

The cave tubing is a blast.

Archived