Does entering passport number in FunPass really speed up boarding process?

champ.49er

I just completed my FunPass registration and noticed that Carnival only needed my last 4 digits of my credit card, but they needed my complete passport number. It says to the side it will speed up the boarding process. I'm a little paranoid about having my passport number on their servers. I also have the option of unchecking the box and my registration will still show complete, but if I did do that, will my boarding process be slower? What would happen if I left that section blank and boarded with my passport? Will the boarding process be slower? Will I still have to enter my passport number on some piece of paper? Thanks in advance.

Yes it will speed up your boarding. If you don't put it on your fun pass they will have to enter it into their system at the time of boarding.

One way or another your passport number is going to end up on their server, so why not speed up your own boarding and for all those people in line behind you.

Just back from a cruise on Fascination, traveling with my Mom. My family had the Fun Pass, she did not. Her check in took a little bit longer but not that much. I agree with other poster, don't think anyone could do much with your passport number.

it will speed things up and you can use the kiosks. So you have given CCL your credit card, home address, and now you're worried about them having your passport #? You'll be ok, and it will spare you some time and annoyance at the port.

I don't know for a fact, but I would think there are a lot of benefits going on behind the scenes also.

When submitting manifest to Homeland Security, here's name and passport number. When submitting manifest to Immigrations at port, here's passenger name and passport number. Possibly if someone misses the ship in port,needs medical evac, etc,etc they can look at their manifest and see that passenger XYZ does indeed have a passport and maybe go look for it.

Sounds logical to me, then again I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

Yes, it does speed up the boarding process. Not sure about everyone else, but when we're checking in, I'm so excited just standing there waiting for them to do what they have to and get us checked in, that I can't stand it! I want on the ship soooo bad!! They can never go too fast for me no matter how many people have already completed their Fun passes!:D

Also, it is good for them to have your passport number. My uncle works for the DOD for the Pentagon and he always tells me to make sure that they have it, (for many reasons) but also for my parents to always have a copy of our passports as well. I've always put our passport numbers in and never had any problems.

I would not worry about safeguarding your passport number. It cannot be used to spend your money like a credit card and it is not an ID number that stays with you for life. Remember, when you renew your passport in 10 years, you get an entirely new number.

Some items to point out. Your passport number will be on their server, at some point. It will also be in the hands of many others, like Homeland Security. Your passport, either the book or the card, has a chip in it that can be read with a proximity scanner, such as those found at boarder crossings. Bottom line is, don't worry, everyone already knows your number......

Archived