Never too old!

Musicus

I just found this thread last night. INTERESTING to say the very least. This man is an inspiration and very talented. Was checking out his music, which I love, but am bummed that I can't order any till he is off his cruise. Need to have his son handle that for him. LOL Am so enjoying his "cruise for a year" and thank you, yellowbird, for posting everything for others to read. As you can see I'm only in the 20's of pages so have a lot to go.

I just found this thread last night. INTERESTING to say the very least. This man is an inspiration and very talented. Was checking out his music, which I love, but am bummed that I can't order any till he is off his cruise. Need to have his son handle that for him. LOL Am so enjoying his "cruise for a year" and thank you, yellowbird, for posting everything for others to read. As you can see I'm only in the 20's of pages so have a lot to go.

Thank you for your comment and yes, he is an inspiration to all. I can't wait to see what he decides to do next. He said he may go to Florida for a while with his son, so we'll see and I'll keep you all posted.

What do you see nurses? . . .. . . What do you see?

What are you thinking . . . . . when you're looking at me?

A crabby old man . . . . . not very wise,

Uncertain of habit . . . . . with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles his food . . . . . and makes no reply.

When you say in a loud voice . . . . . 'I do wish you'd try!'

Who seems not to notice .. . . . . the things that you do.

And forever is losing . . . . . A sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not . . . . . lets you do as you will,

With bathing and feeding . . . . . The long day to fill?

Is that what you're thinking? . . . . . Is that what you see?

Then open your eyes, nurse . . . . . you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am. . . . . . As I sit here so still,

As I do at your bidding, . . . . . as I eat at your will.

I'm a small child of Ten . . . . .. with a father and mother,

Brothers and sisters . . . . . who love one another.

A young boy of Sixteen . . . . with wings on his feet.

Dreaming that soon now . . . . . a lover he'll meet.

A groom soon at Twenty . . . . . my heart gives a leap.

Remembering, the vows . . . . . that I promised to keep.

At Twenty-Five, now . . . .. . I have young of my own.

Who need me to guide . . . . . And a secure happy home.

A man of Thirty . . . . . My young now grown fast,

Bound to each other . . . . . With ties that should last.

At Forty, my young sons . . .. . . have grown and are gone,

But my woman's beside me . . . . . to see I don't mourn.

At Fifty, once more, babies play 'round my knee,

Again, we know children . . . . . My loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me . . . . . my wife is now dead.

I look at the future . . . . . shudder with dread.

For my young are all rearing . . . . . young of their own.

And I think of the years .. . . . . and the love that I've known.

I'm now an old man . . . . .. and nature is cruel.

Tis jest to make old age . . . . . look like a fool.

The body, it crumbles . . . . . grace and vigor, depart.

There is now a stone . . . . where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass . . . . . a young guy still dwells,

And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells.

I remember the joys . . . . . I remember the pain.

And I'm loving and living . . . . . life over again.

I think of the years, all too few . . . . . gone too fast.

And accept the stark fact . . . . that nothing can last.

So open your eyes, people . . . . . open and see.

Not a crabby old man . . . . Look closer . .. . see ME!!

Anyone have tears in their eyes? I do!

That is the crabby old man poem. Very touching.

"It started when an old man died in the geriatric ward of a small hospital near Tampa , Florida , it was believed that he had nothing left of any value.

Later, when the nurses were going through his meager possessions, they found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that

copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital.

One nurse took her copy to Missouri . The old man's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas edition of the News

Magazine of the St. Louis Association for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on his simple, but eloquent, poem.

And this little old man, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this "anonymous" poem winging across the Internet"

Pics to follow!

July 24 Copenhagen - a very rainy day which got me quite wet as I drove to the underpass at the end of the pier where we were parked and where I knew that I would have WiFi from the cafe around the corner which was open only at 11 since it is always a Sunday when we are here. So I sent out the Nos. 63, answered some emails and then returned to the ship to dry out - it certainly was a damp labour of love sitting there on the scooter with the netbook on my lap.At the table, apart from the delightful Lea and Bill Lane from New York, another couple - she from Turkey and he from New York. There was of course the usual champagne/strawberry welcome. I forgot in my last report to talk of a wonderful Danish couple, Lisbet and Mogens which had been at the table and were the perfect match to Lea and Bill but left in Copenhagen. They will however come to fetch me on the 11th for a little sightseeing atound the city. I played two Scrabble games with Lea (which I won) and we had long conversations and befriended each other. Were she not married, I certainly would allow myself to fall in love with her.

July 25: I played of course today and had a fairly large audience, including Fernando from Lisbon, who joined the ship yesterday with his family for this cruise, apparently specially in order to interview me for the videos he produces and airs on TV. I will find out more about that. All I know is that he took many pictures and video of me while I was playing and I pronised that I would contact him for an interview. He now has a brand new camera to replace the one which was stolen, but of course the photographs it held in its memory and on the cards which were in the bag are all lost.Tomorrow evening Lea, Bill and I will eat at the Obelisk and I hope that the weather will be nice because leaving the fjord will be a beautiful panoramic sight from where we'll eat at the stern of he ship.

July 26, Olden: Unfortunately it was raining and there were low clouds obscuring the mountainsides beside the ship. However, I drove to the village -about 1 KM+- and sat in the little cafe attached to the ICA grocery store, but the internet availability was sporadic and very weak, so that I gave up after being able to send out only one email message in over two hours. Hoping for better luck tomorrow in Bergen. But I got to know the very nice owner of the pretty big store, who only has a Summer House in Olden but lives somewhere else.

July 27, Bergen: Again overcast. Went into town and sat for some time in front of McD, which only opens at 10AM, then went inside for about 2 hours, until the laptop battery died - guess I soon have to buy a new one, it only gives about half of the advertised 8 hrs use now. At a table not far from where I sat, I heard loud coversation in Swytzerdü

tsch, of course had to go over and talk with them, they are on a tour with others but not on a cruiseship. At 5pm Alan came for a drink and brought the good news that the booking for Beatrice can now be made, just as soon as have paid the fare which was reduced 50% from the regular one. I am so happy to be able to tell B. tomorrow. And to crown the day, the sun came out and I think we face good days ahead.

July 28, Kristiansand: If you were in a place already a few times, to visit again is like a homecoming of sorts, especially on a beautiful warm and sunny day like today. At McD's I was able to reach Beatrice in her apartment because she had taken the day off. She goes first to Trier for a week's holiday and then comes by train to Kiel where I'll meet her at the station. Needless to say, we both look forward to each other (apart from the cruise).

July 29: Göteborg, Sweden: Because of the tragedy in Oslo, we came here but had to moor at the Container Terminal which is 10km from the town center, to which we were brought by buses; the cost for this was 12 Euros, but I for once got it for free. Meno Male, as once says in Italian. It's quite a city! The second largest in Sweden, with a 60,000 student university, 25 theaters and 19 Museums and an excellent infrastructure. The pulse of the city is strong and palpable, young and vibrant. Of course I found a very fancy McD's and after a couple of hours there joined the masses of people and got a real feel of the place, before taking the shuttle back to the ship.

July 30, Kiel: Losing my by now good friends Lea and Bill, the others from our table tomorrow at Copenhagen. This has been one of those "special" group of tablemates, interesting, amusing, intrigueing and inspiring. Sorry our meeting was so short lived, but I know we'll stay in touch by email and I fully expect to see Lea and Bill again, either in New York or Miami.

--

[/url]

: http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Before I post Egon's most recent blog, I want to thank Joyce (aka ladysail2) for helping with the pics he sends. Without her, no pics.:eek:

You're very welcome Yellowbird23...your words are very kind, it's my way of saying thanks to others who have helped me in the past.....:)

So here they are.......with pleasure.......

Joyce :D

4935985_AttheAtriumpiano(2).jpg.a870fc25f50836162dc9e74595db9628.jpg

1046980672_July14Olden(4).jpg.f71740902ebf3439aa492efdc587011f.jpg

884586959_July14Olden.jpg.8d300dc7f1f382141fa714f39879ba1a.jpg

1250174374_July27(3)Bergen.jpg.34ba7049a4ad49eecabd9ed55dc1f54f.jpg

609804974_July27(6)Bergen.jpg.e2d7fc28ff425f235f9e31844fe56812.jpg

2107762302_July28Kristiansand(4).jpg.5495ad61a1cad1953fd0a5e42cd05ee7.jpg

1452080495_July28Kristiansand.jpg.7c95b12053138104dc4675b52ea258f4.jpg

1300958101_July29Gteborg(2).jpg.28fa5959eed592f8c2177f58ba0fcfaa.jpg

602036517_July29Gteborg(6).jpg.abffe8745fb665f8b9735b8f32f91d7a.jpg

922073955_ThelittlemermaidofCopenhagen.jpg.43d2f6a0c9f1da2f1d01da8e632f578c.jpg

Okay..going to make a cheap vacation in my backyard. Going to fill the g-klids pool, get in and watch the stars...pretend I'm floating in the Caribbean somewhere...(and hope the neighbors don't turn their back lights on and see me)!!! lol:D

Edited by yellowbird23

Okay..going to make a cheap vacation in my backyard. Going to fill the g-klids pool, get in and watch the stars...pretend I'm floating in the Caribbean somewhere...(and hope the neighbors don't turn their back lights on and see me)!!! lol:D

With the heat this summer, I sure would love to do that. The mosquitos would eat me alive, though! (I'd rather be sailing in Northern Europe with Egon!)

Make sure you have your bathing suit on......LOL...:D:D

Came across this yesterday and have been reading it since, spent hours last evening. I am only a little over half way . I am amazed at this gentleman's stamina, and delighted with his stories and humor. Thank you Pat and all who are "managing" this thread with his emails and pics. Pat, btw, I am Pat also and about 25 miles north of you. Thanks again to everyone and Happy Reading.

I hope the end result is all Egon has hoped for in his dream quest. We should all be so lucky.

We are all rooting for him. Go Go Egon :)

Like many others, I came upon Egon's story as I was surfing the net. I spent 5 hours last night reading everything, as someone else said, it reads like a novel. Many thanks to Pat, Joyce, and everyone else who has keep this going. I can't wait for the next installment in his great adventure! What an example of the human spirit...again thanks to all. Eva

That's why I was afraid they'd turn the light on! I was planning to skinny dip! Ain't dead yet! lol:D:D

It's Monday so...... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAT!! Hope it's a wonderful year for you -- and thanks for this incredible thread on CC. Following Egon's year onboard certainly shows all of us what can be possible in our "chronologically advantaged" years.

I was a little bit down today for some reason and you all have picked up my spirits greatly. Thanks to all. Today is my first day for Medicare~! I guess I have some benefits for being old...A nice cruise would do wonders....Maybe next year!!:D:D

Old is a matter of mind, and if you don't mind it doesn't matter!

I'm about 10 years older than you, and when people ask me how it feels to be old I tell them, that OLD will always be 10 years older than I am.

Happy Birthday,

Ginnie

I'm about 10 years older than you, and when people ask me how it feels to be old I tell them, that OLD will always be 10 years older than I am.

Happy Birthday,

Ginnie

How true! I am your age Ginnie and feel the same way. That's one of the reasons I admire Ergon so much. Wish I had the money and the guts to do something like that.

Eva

Happy Birthday,

Ginnie

Ginnie>> What a great attitude! Love it.

Eva>>>I have the guts, but no money to back it up! lol

I was a little bit down today for some reason and you all have picked up my spirits greatly. Thanks to all. Today is my first day for Medicare~! I guess I have some benefits for being old...A nice cruise would do wonders....Maybe next year!!:D:D

Happy Birthday - belatedly. May there be many, many more.

Pat - I felt the same way last January 1st, then we booked our April cruise to Mexico. My husband's company required him to have some updated shots because of the trip. We figured why not - so I went ahead and got the same ones.

Between Medicare and the supplement that my husband pays for thru his work place (he is still working as he is younger than me) :>), my shots didn't cost a penny. No co-pay or out of pocket expenses. It turned out to be a pretty good deal.

I soon realized that I may be at that "magical" age physically (and the body shows it), but mentally I am still 25 and in my prime :D. Besides, my grandmother used to tell me that "the older you get physically, the more things you can get away with. You keep the youngsters on their toes all the time." At the time she was a YOUNG 85. :cool: Amazing how smart she got the older I got.:eek:

Edited by Okie1946