best time to book a cruise

SPACASTAN

we went on our first cruise in may and we are now hooked, booked another for november. We have seen a cruise on the Azura next year in September 2011 when would be the best time to book I want to book now but my partner is saying there is no point. Any advice on this please people much appreaciated.

we have always found the very best prices are as soon as the bookings are released for cruises. we have booked our last 2 cruises approx 18months in advance, and the prices have never been beaten, even for last minute bookings. it is surprsing how the prices rise even after just a few weeks, as the ship fills up, and that way also get our first choice of deck, cabin, and 1st or 2nd sitting or freedom dining. The later you book, the less chance you have of getting your first choice generally.

hope that helps a little.

If you want a certain cabin,

If you want a certain sitting,

If you are satisfied with the price AT THE TIME,

Book it,

and don't look back at 'what you could have had'

then enjoy your cruise.

On the other hand,

if you are prepared to accept any cabin,

you don't mind which sitting you are on,

and don't mind if you lose that cruise,

WAIT.

We ALWAYS book for a cabin and sitting :-))

Mike

We booked our cruise for next April in April this year - I'm sure if you book late you don't get on-board spend or free car parking or much choice for anything else, so I'd make enquiries now

Linda

if you are not fussy about a particular cabin or deck, then wait.

The lower price FAR outweighs the combined price of car park and OB credit.

We are off again at the end of august, and have as yet not booked.

*We went on a Royal C cruise to Dubai in Feb and paid around half what others paid, for the same cruise.

We went on Ventura in June and paid just under half what the other couple on the same table paid - for the same cruise, the same ports, the same shows, the same dinner table...

If I had kids and wanted a family room, and could only go in the school holidays, or at a certain week of the year, or for a definate cabin number, yes I would book early.

But I may be on the same cruise as you one day for a whole lot cheper.....

I've just booked a cruise 3 weeks before sailing - so off a fortnight tomorrow, first time Ive done this, usually book a year ahead to get the cabin we want and the dinner sitting we like (2nd)...

This cruise is discounted and also we chose a guarantee cabin (they pick the cabin) A little risk for me as booking two cabins other for 82 yr old mum which we really wanted near us,,,,

Well, paid for a JG cabin and we got yesterday a JA ! So free upgrade from bottom to top grade balcony AND we have 2 cabins next to each other....

I was offered JA's in the begining at a total of £500 more for 2 cabins, but took the guarantee ones, glad I did as have JA's anyway...

In the few days since I booked, everything falling into place, even have tours online within hours of booking,so chose what i wanted, also booked car in car park (and yes had to pay for this,) One thing you doloose with late bookings is free carparking... but have saved about £1000 on these 2 balconies from now compared with a year ago... my only other 'gamble' is which sitting we get... we are wait-listed for both 1st and 2nd!

If we get 1st (want 2nd) We will try it a few nights, if don't like it will go to the supplement restaurants one night each, planning too anyway, and its only a 7nighter so not much of a problem,

all in all its looking a good bet booking last minute, but it is a gamble....

Just to say ....we booked Azura - Caribbean in March 2011... ages ago to get an early deal. Horrors .....we have found the same cabin grade with additional £100 per cabin equating to a deal £240 cheaper than ours.

So much for a good deal! I'm awaiting a reply from P&O but am not holding my breath!

Our next cruise will be booked last minute I think!

We cleared the month of June, and did the same as Libra Lass....waited for the last minute deals, and were able to go on Ventura at a low rate. There was no freedom dining left, but we only ate once in the MD, as we prefer to graze around the ship. Again, it was only for 7 nights, so even if it had been a cabin under the anchor chain, we'd have coped!!!:rolleyes: We have senior rail cards, so that was 1/3 off; we book a hotel in the cheap complex next to the station, and grab a taxi from there the next morning. As has been said- same food, entertainment, ports of call......

Jo.

We cleared the month of June, and did the same as Libra Lass....waited for the last minute deals, and were able to go on Ventura at a low rate. There was no freedom dining left, but we only ate once in the MD, as we prefer to graze around the ship. Again, it was only for 7 nights, so even if it had been a cabin under the anchor chain, we'd have coped!!!:rolleyes: We have senior rail cards, so that was 1/3 off; we book a hotel in the cheap complex next to the station, and grab a taxi from there the next morning. As has been said- same food, entertainment, ports of call......

Jo.

I would be very interested to know just how many more 'cruise on the cheap'.

Those I have met, both cruising and socially, appear to be able to afford a cruise for the cruise itself without opening the mattress or breaking open the Piggy Bank.

Yes, may try that, I'll report back which sitting we get, someone said we may get freedom dining when 1st and 2nd is 'wait-listed' that may work out well anyway, ?

We shall see!

update...

My TA has informed me we have now got 2nd sitting as well..! So everything I want and 'book early' for in this late booking at a cheaper cost, but it is a gamble....

If its a cruise for a special occasion - or a particular week than I will still book early again.

We're looking to try a Caribbean Cruise this autumn. Lucky for us we're not tied to specific dates and not too fussed about cabin position.

A colleague of my husband did a 2 week cruise on Ventura last November for which he paid around £1800/£1900 for a balcony cabin. 3 weeks before he sailed balcony cabins were available for £999. May not have been the top grade ones but a balcony nevertheless. The rest of the cruise is the same for everyone!

I'm keeping an eye on the Ventura and Azura Caribbean cruises, also the Oceana Panama Canal cruises. Prices have come down several hundred pounds since January of this year so am hopeful we'll get something!

Don't think I would bother too much with early booking - years ago we used to book all our holidays way in advance because where I worked then meant booking next year's holidays up to a year before. Lucky for me I now have the freedom to have time off mostly whenever I like.

Just had a mini brochure thing in from the TA we *didnt* book with for Azura in Oct. BAH!!!!! Could've had a balcony cabin AND another £100 OBC if If we'd waited and booked with this lot now .

They were more expensive at the time of booking though!!!

Oh well - at least we got the flights we wanted - AND 2nd sittin confirmed.

Inside cabin here we come - best sleep ever though!!! (persuading myself!!!):D

Caryl

We booked our Christmas and New Year cruise 20 months ahead on the day booking opened as we particularly wanted C-Deck balcony cabins on Ventura. Booking opened on the Monday and by the Friday the Manchester flight was full, so if you want a particular flight that is another aspect to factor in, especially at peak holiday times.

Carol x

We booked ou 2 day carribbean cruise on Aurora for next April a year in advance as we wanted the specific date to celebrate my 60th and wanted a cain on a higher deck be it an inside cabin and we wanted 1st sitting so we were happy with our booking.

Linda

I think many posters in this thread have proved that if you want a specific criteria met, you have to book early.

I wanted .....

Southampton to Southampton

Sail just before Christmas

Arrive just after the New Year

5 Balcony Cabins of the same catagory

Why so specific?

Our Golden wedding on Boxong Day and we were taking the whole family with us.

ONE SHIP met our criteria. Queen Victoria.

We had never sailed Cunard so didn't have preferential booking. We had to wait and see what was left when bookings opened to the plebbs like me.

Bookings opened at 09.00 on the Saturday.

THREE members of my TA, Bath Travel jumped onto their terminals at 09.00. Only 7 cabins which met everything were free. THREE members of the staff booked 5.

By mid day, all had gone.

Take a chance later? On yer bike.

Yes a Christmas cruise would mean booking early for, but a run of the mill Canaries or Med cruise from Southampton will be easier to get late deals. With a fly cruise too, leave it too late and flights may be gone from the airport of your choice.

think we will have to look again at late deals then, sounds like some good deals going, and also it is so long to wait for our next booked cruise in nov 2011.

think i wuld be very dubious of booking fly/cruise though, as i would be afraid we could end up on flights sat apart, and that is one thing i couldn,t deal with,....still a very nervous flier !!!!!

has anyone else had experience of booking late fly/cruise deals !!!

We have learnt our lesson, we booked early for our cruise last year, then 2 months before we were due to travel our ta sent out an advertisment which had our grade cabin £300 cheaper and the same obc as we had been offered. On the ship we found a couple on our dinner table had paid £100 more than us and they had booked the day it went on sale 2 years previously. We have just booked a cruise on Oasis of the seas for September, we originally rang our TA 2 months ago to enquire about prices and were told to book there and then to avoid disapointment, well I risked not booking and have paid 1/2 the price and got exactly the cabin we wanted. I think the cruise lines are having trouble filling the ships at the moment, if it's not a special cruise or a special occasion my advice would be to wait it out and keep checking prices.

Archived