Tipping and Service Charge

Great deal and the best way to handle the service charge. One small point the bar staff is not included in the pool from the service charge. The live off those 15% charges added to all bar service and anything extra we elect to give. They are paid a monthy draw against those gratuities. :eek:

I always look after bar staff as often they look after me in return ;)

Being a retired HR executive - the way I view it is that NCL is padding their payroll budgets with the 15% additions to each bar bill plus the $12 pp a day service charge. Ultimately those monies become an expected amount of cash compensation and likely less viewed as part of a reward for good service. This is especially true since NCL does not make it clear that the service charge is discretional let alone the built in bar or spa tips.

I'm not against any of these concepts -- but I continue to suggest that it is deception being thrust upon NCL guests. Maybe the cruise fares seem reasonable but look out for the addons. It's not unlike buying a seat on an airplane only to learn that if you carry a bag (you pay) or if you want a pillow or blanket (you pay), etc. If all cruise lines did it - then fine. But all do not handle it in this way. <caveat emptor>

I think that the thing to understand is the reason they don't emphasize it being 'discretionary' is that it is only discretionary in conjunction with a complaint. Yes, you can reduce/remove the DSC but only if you tell us what was so horrid that you felt driven to do so.

You can be reasonably sure that people have lost their jobs over someone trying to "make a point" about the tipping policy.

The fact is that tipping exists & is expected on every cruiseline. Either its part of the fare (in Oz, or on premium lines), or its 'suggested' on traditional lines, or its automatic on mainstream lines.

What they say is that the DSC is charged shipboard (so you don't pay it until day-of-service), and that tips are not required.

So just go with the automated everything, and leave no tips anywhere...and nobody will think you're being cheap (with exceptions for kid's club, butler & concierge.... who have no automatic tips)

I think that the thing to understand is the reason they don't emphasize it being 'discretionary' is that it is only discretionary in conjunction with a complaint. Yes, you can reduce/remove the DSC but only if you tell us what was so horrid that you felt driven to do so.

You can be reasonably sure that people have lost their jobs over someone trying to "make a point" about the tipping policy.

The fact is that tipping exists & is expected on every cruiseline. Either its part of the fare (in Oz, or on premium lines), or its 'suggested' on traditional lines, or its automatic on mainstream lines.

What they say is that the DSC is charged shipboard (so you don't pay it until day-of-service), and that tips are not required.

So just go with the automated everything, and leave no tips anywhere...and nobody will think you're being cheap (with exceptions for kid's club, butler & concierge.... who have no automatic tips)

I hesitate to perpetuate this discussion - but I will add the the following.

First -- these are not "automatic tips". The DSC has nothing to do with tipping. It has everything to do with funding the company payroll and welfare plan budgets. Comments about that follow.

Second -- I will likely not remove the DSC even though I have issues with the construct of it and the deception I believe it portrays. For me, I am traveling with 5 individuals that includes 2 young girls. I don't think they will use the ships services to the same extent as we adults. For a one week trip the DSC represents $420 for the 7 day cruise.

Additionally, I will tip my room steward, butler, concierge and the workers in the kids club. I will not dispute the tips applied by the bartenders and in fact will probably tip them cash if warranted if we use the bars. We don't "do" spa things so that's not an issue for us.

The only point I have attempted to make in these discussions is that I believe -- right or wrong -- that NCL's description of the DSC and the discretionary aspects of it is not well disclosed. Because of that, I believe it is deceptive and does not serve NCL's reputation. I realize others either don't care, don't know about it or likely think I'm some sort of cheap individual.

I repeat my previously posted statement: I'm not against any of these concepts -- but I continue to suggest that it is deception being thrust upon NCL guests. Maybe the cruise fares seem reasonable but look out for the addons. It's not unlike buying a seat on an airplane only to learn that if you carry a bag (you pay) or if you want a pillow or blanket (you pay), etc. If all cruise lines did it - then fine. But all do not handle it in this way. <caveat emptor>

For an objective and accurate discussion of just how aspects of the DSC is used by NCL - please refer to this well constructed post in this same thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25009796&postcount=16

The DSC is a deceptive policy because the discretionary aspect is not well disclosed. Only when you read the actual Guest Ticket Contract do you see the disclosure, as follows: The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, - - -

If you read the website FAQ - the section on the Service Charge you find the following. The last sentence does say "you can adjust the charges" but it appears you must build a case for the removal of those charges. The fact that it is "at your discretion" is not well disclosed:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

The DSC is discussed in the Daily handouts published on the ship. There is no mention of the discretionary aspect of the DSC:

Daily link:

http://redwingsfan.zenfolio.com/p92351924/h2c8d2120#h3c7645a1

Image #6

Or view it here:

http://home.comcast.net/~dwkoester/site/?/photos/

Click image to view document

Finally, here is the entire section regarding tipping as published in the ships Guest Ticket Contract:

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

That my friends, is cash compensation and it is meted out or doled out at the discretion of the company, NCL, not by you the guest who is trying to say thank you for good service. NCL is collecting the DSC to pad its payroll budgets that are used to compensate employees. Note the "fleet-wide welfare programs" comment as well.

If NCL were to call this a "tip pool" that is distributed among all employees and NOT at the discretion of the company then I am fine. I would also suggest another break point in the amounts of a tip pool other than zero below age 3. There needs to be an age 3 through 9 group at a lower cost point.

That's it.

First -- these are not "automatic tips". The DSC has nothing to do with tipping. It has everything to do with funding the company payroll and welfare plan budgets. Comments about that follow. Okay, fine. Tips are not required on NCL. Many people who WANT to tip, are made more comfortable by believing the DSC IS a tip.

Second -- I will likely not remove the DSC even though I have issues with the construct of it and the deception I believe it portrays. Great. I'm sure the crew will be appreciative, that you're allowing them to feed their families.

For me, I am traveling with 5 individuals that includes 2 young girls. I don't think they will use the ships services to the same extent as we adults. For a one week trip the DSC represents $420 for the 7 day cruise. IMO This is a big fallacy which is often repeated in these discussions. Will the girls wash? Brush their teeth? Use the toilet? All of these things need cleaning. Will they eat at the buffet? Will they eat in a restaurant? Will they dirty dishes anywhere on the ship? Will they walk on the carpets, or hold a hand-rail? The ongoing cleaning & maintenance of all these things is impacted just as much by a young girl, as by a young adult (sometimes even more so).

Additionally, I will tip my room steward,(you don't have to....he/she is covered by the DSC), butler, concierge and the workers in the kids club. I will not dispute the tips applied by the bartenders and in fact will probably tip them cash if warranted if we use the bars.(you don't have to, they are covered by the auto-gratuity on the bill) We don't "do" spa things so that's not an issue for us.

The only point I have attempted to make in these discussions is that I believe -- right or wrong -- that NCL's description of the DSC and the discretionary aspects of it is not well disclosed. This I don't get. I just walked through the booking process, and step 3, before even picking a cabin...this is disclosed.

Because of that, I believe it is deceptive and does not serve NCL's reputation. I realize others either don't care, don't know about it or likely think I'm some sort of cheap individual. No, if you're paying it anyway, I don't think you're cheap...but if you go into your cruise feeling deceived, you probably won't have as good a time as you would otherwise.... hopefully this discussion will alleviate some of your concerns.

I repeat my previously posted statement: I'm not against any of these concepts -- but I continue to suggest that it is deception being thrust upon NCL guests. Maybe the cruise fares seem reasonable but look out for the addons. It's not unlike buying a seat on an airplane only to learn that if you carry a bag (you pay) or if you want a pillow or blanket (you pay), etc. If all cruise lines did it - then fine. But all do not handle it in this way. <caveat emptor> All cruiselines do it, in one form or another. NCL innovated the automation of the typical cruiseline tip - trot, where many staff got stiffed, and otherwise guests were occupied on the final night running around tipping the staff....who then turned around & tipped the behind-the-scenes people who helped them make your experience a reality.

For an objective and accurate discussion of just how aspects of the DSC is used by NCL - please refer to this well constructed post in this same thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25009796&postcount=16

The DSC is a deceptive policy because the discretionary aspect is not well disclosed. Only when you read the actual Guest Ticket Contract do you see the disclosure, as follows: The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, - - -

If you read the website FAQ - the section on the Service Charge you find the following. The last sentence does say "you can adjust the charges" but it appears you must build a case for the removal of those charges. The fact that it is "at your discretion" is not well disclosed: The problem is this: legally, its at your discretion. For the continued well-functioning of the process, it is really discouraged. Part of discouraging it is making the process onerous. So yes, it's at your discretion...if there's a reason.....and they want an opportunity to fix the problem, so that you leave the DSC in place.

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

The DSC is discussed in the Daily handouts published on the ship. There is no mention of the discretionary aspect of the DSC:

Daily link:

http://redwingsfan.zenfolio.com/p92351924/h2c8d2120#h3c7645a1

Image #6

Or view it here:

Finally, here is the entire section regarding tipping as published in the ships Guest Ticket Contract:

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

That my friends, is cash compensation and it is meted out or doled out at the discretion of the company,

Exactly. Based on Style Cards received, the % of the entire pool is shared based on your status. If you continue to be praised, your % of the pool goes up. If your guests continue to remove their DSC, your % goes down until you're fired. All of these HR-related matters are at the discretion of the employer, not the customer.

NCL, not by you the guest who is trying to say thank you for good service. NCL is collecting the DSC to pad its payroll budgets that are used to compensate employees. Note the "fleet-wide welfare programs" comment as well.

Yes, they fund parties and other stress-busters to keep the crew content.

If NCL were to call this a "tip pool" that is distributed among all employees (including officers? staff? entertainers?) and NOT at the discretion of the company then I am fine. So how much of your DSC do you allocate to the person who cleaned the tray which you picked up at the buffet? The one who ensured you didn't get norovirus? What about the person who swabbed the deck at 5a.m. so that you didn't slip? There were two of those guys...one did a great job swabbing, the other was a little distracted. NCL knows which one, because they have supervisors....can YOU effectively determine which deserves the bigger share? That's why it's employer discretion, not customer discretion.

I would also suggest another break point in the amounts of a tip pool other than zero below age 3. There needs to be an age 3 through 9 group at a lower cost point. There used to be (under 12, if recall) I think it was deemed an unjustified break, and was removed.

That's it.

some of what you say makes sense, but some is just an administrative nightmare. The system they have, works....according to many crewmembers. I've asked several, and I know many posters here have asked several, each.... cumulatively I'd say we have a good spectrum of crew surveyed and they all prefer the automated mechanism.

I think one of the reasons is that people may 'claim' good intentions, but if you search the boards on other cruiselines for the number of people who simply didn't show up for dinner on the last night, ostensibly in order to avoid tipping their wait-staff....you'd possibly gain a greater appreciation for the value of automating the process.

dnl_in_Illinois - - I agree with you 110%

If NCL disclosed it clearly then I don't have a problem. It's the way they worded like dnl_in_Illinois mentioned that bothers me! :o

If the tips are being distribute fairly and mainly to the crew that offer services then that's fine. Won't be surprised that NCL use them to support payroll, bonuses, and etc. :mad:

kid's club, butler & concierge.... who have no automatic tips because NCL wanted you to support their salary so they don't have to :D

In others countries, most do not get tips (but I always tip them anyway - not 15%).

Only in America that everyone expect an automatic 15% tip, there are some that even want 18%. :eek: You need to earn your $$$ NOT automatic. :p

If service is OK, u get 10%. If is great, u get 15%. If is above and beyond, u may get a little extra. That's just me! :D

some of what you say makes sense, but some is just an administrative nightmare. The system they have, works....according to many crewmembers. I've asked several, and I know many posters here have asked several, each.... cumulatively I'd say we have a good spectrum of crew surveyed and they all prefer the automated mechanism.

I think one of the reasons is that people may 'claim' good intentions, but if you search the boards on other cruiselines for the number of people who simply didn't show up for dinner on the last night, ostensibly in order to avoid tipping their wait-staff....you'd possibly gain a greater appreciation for the value of automating the process.

I respect what you are saying and I surely do not know the feelings of employees. But keep in mind - the people who work the ships often do not have many life work options. I'm sure they appreciate a reasonable level of pay, good working conditions, fair treatment from supervisors and the appreciation from the people they serve. None of that is being debated here.

Your response is from the perspective of employees. I am coming from the perspective of the customer.

Again, I take exception not to the method but to the way the method is represented. That's all.

If NCL is reading these boards - perhaps they will consider my opinion. I can't ask for more than that. If the opportunity presents itself for me to speak with management, I'd be happy to do that. Thanks for sticking with me and with the discussion. You are making me think this through.

Originally Posted by dnl_in_Illinois viewpost.gif

First -- these are not "automatic tips". The DSC has nothing to do with tipping. It has everything to do with funding the company payroll and welfare plan budgets. Comments about that follow. Okay, fine. Tips are not required on NCL. Many people who WANT to tip, are made more comfortable by believing the DSC IS a tip.

Second -- I will likely not remove the DSC even though I have issues with the construct of it and the deception I believe it portrays. Great. I'm sure the crew will be appreciative, that you're allowing them to feed their families.

For me, I am traveling with 5 individuals that includes 2 young girls. I don't think they will use the ships services to the same extent as we adults. For a one week trip the DSC represents $420 for the 7 day cruise. IMO This is a big fallacy which is often repeated in these discussions. Will the girls wash? Brush their teeth? Use the toilet? All of these things need cleaning. Will they eat at the buffet? Will they eat in a restaurant? Will they dirty dishes anywhere on the ship? Will they walk on the carpets, or hold a hand-rail? The ongoing cleaning & maintenance of all these things is impacted just as much by a young girl, as by a young adult (sometimes even more so).

Additionally, I will tip my room steward,(you don't have to....he/she is covered by the DSC), butler, concierge and the workers in the kids club. I will not dispute the tips applied by the bartenders and in fact will probably tip them cash if warranted if we use the bars.(you don't have to, they are covered by the auto-gratuity on the bill) We don't "do" spa things so that's not an issue for us.

The only point I have attempted to make in these discussions is that I believe -- right or wrong -- that NCL's description of the DSC and the discretionary aspects of it is not well disclosed. This I don't get. I just walked through the booking process, and step 3, before even picking a cabin...this is disclosed.

Because of that, I believe it is deceptive and does not serve NCL's reputation. I realize others either don't care, don't know about it or likely think I'm some sort of cheap individual. No, if you're paying it anyway, I don't think you're cheap...but if you go into your cruise feeling deceived, you probably won't have as good a time as you would otherwise.... hopefully this discussion will alleviate some of your concerns.

I repeat my previously posted statement: I'm not against any of these concepts -- but I continue to suggest that it is deception being thrust upon NCL guests. Maybe the cruise fares seem reasonable but look out for the addons. It's not unlike buying a seat on an airplane only to learn that if you carry a bag (you pay) or if you want a pillow or blanket (you pay), etc. If all cruise lines did it - then fine. But all do not handle it in this way. <caveat emptor> All cruiselines do it, in one form or another. NCL innovated the automation of the typical cruiseline tip - trot, where many staff got stiffed, and otherwise guests were occupied on the final night running around tipping the staff....who then turned around & tipped the behind-the-scenes people who helped them make your experience a reality.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...6&postcount=16

If you read the website FAQ - the section on the Service Charge you find the following. The last sentence does say "you can adjust the charges" but it appears you must build a case for the removal of those charges. The fact that it is "at your discretion" is not well disclosed: The problem is this: legally, its at your discretion. For the continued well-functioning of the process, it is really discouraged. Part of discouraging it is making the process onerous. So yes, it's at your discretion...if there's a reason.....and they want an opportunity to fix the problem, so that you leave the DSC in place.

Daily link:

http://redwingsfan.zenfolio.com/p923...2120#h3c7645a1

Image #6

Or view it here:

That my friends, is cash compensation and it is meted out or doled out at the discretion of the company,

Exactly. Based on Style Cards received, the % of the entire pool is shared based on your status. If you continue to be praised, your % of the pool goes up. If your guests continue to remove their DSC, your % goes down until you're fired. All of these HR-related matters are at the discretion of the employer, not the customer.

NCL, not by you the guest who is trying to say thank you for good service. NCL is collecting the DSC to pad its payroll budgets that are used to compensate employees. Note the "fleet-wide welfare programs" comment as well.

Yes, they fund parties and other stress-busters to keep the crew content.

If NCL were to call this a "tip pool" that is distributed among all employees (including officers? staff? entertainers?) and NOT at the discretion of the company then I am fine. So how much of your DSC do you allocate to the person who cleaned the tray which you picked up at the buffet? The one who ensured you didn't get norovirus? What about the person who swabbed the deck at 5a.m. so that you didn't slip? There were two of those guys...one did a great job swabbing, the other was a little distracted. NCL knows which one, because they have supervisors....can YOU effectively determine which deserves the bigger share? That's why it's employer discretion, not customer discretion.

I would also suggest another break point in the amounts of a tip pool other than zero below age 3. There needs to be an age 3 through 9 group at a lower cost point. There used to be (under 12, if recall) I think it was deemed an unjustified break, and was removed.

That's it.

As to your responses here, I don't believe you understand my objections at all otherwise you would not have made many of the observations you did. It is unfortunate we can't have a person-to-person dialog but obviously that's not going to happen.

I said I hesitate to pursue the discussion and I will not continue it with a point/counterpoint retort. You view it differently than I do. Like I said, I can respect that. There ARE better ways to handle and accomplish the same objectives. After you have spent 41 years in business and part of a team running a large company with 1000's of employees, perhaps you'll begin to view NCL's business processes in a different way. It seems other cruise lines have managed through the same administrative process, why not NCL? I only want NCL to be a better company. And yes, I realize I have choices. That is the way of business and competition. That's all.

My opinion.

As to your responses here, I don't believe you understand my objections at all otherwise you would not have made many of the observations you did. It is unfortunate we can't have a person-to-person dialog but obviously that's not going to happen.

I said I hesitate to pursue the discussion and I will not continue it with a point/counterpoint retort. You view it differently than I do. Like I said, I can respect that. There ARE better ways to handle and accomplish the same objectives. After you have spent 41 years in business and part of a team running a large company with 1000's of employees, perhaps you'll begin to view NCL's business processes in a different way. It seems other cruise lines have managed through the same administrative process, why not NCL? I only want NCL to be a better company. And yes, I realize I have choices. That is the way of business and competition. That's all.

My opinion.

Again, my reaction wouldn't be to encourage you to go elsewhere. I understand entirely that you don't like that fact that it isn't listed above the cruise price in flashing neon letters, fully stating.....remove if you want.

I get that....what I'm suggesting is that the people who are away from their families for 9 months at a time, who have in many instances worked for more than 1 cruiseline, have said they PREFER this method.

You have suggested that it is the cruiseline determining how much people get, which irritates you.

So please consider this scenario. You want to allocate more money to one worker than another. The person in the next cabin does the exact opposite, and 2 cabins over sees that this is possible and just decided to remove the DSC entirely.

Now the person you wanted to reward will actually receive less, than if the system in place was followed.

YOUR system works with YOUR intentions and YOUR behaviour....which I think is noble.

What it doesn't account for are the myriad cultures which expect service to be included, or don't expect the charge (yes, I know this supports your contention), or are otherwise inclined to remove it (no budget, hard bed, lost at casino....whatever).

Tipping is traditional in cruising. Every cruiseline either has a tipping policy (see the long thread in the main NCL board), or has an auto-tip, or makes a big deal that service is priced into the fare already.

NCL adds service at the end....it's not commissionable to TAs, it isn't paid in advance, it can give those from non-tipping cultures the peace-of-mind that they have done their 'tipping duty' and feel comfortable about it, and it helps reduce the number of people who stiff the staff just because they don't care.

[/soapbox]

Again, my reaction wouldn't be to encourage you to go elsewhere. I understand entirely that you don't like that fact that it isn't listed above the cruise price in flashing neon letters, fully stating.....remove if you want. I get that....

Whew - thank you for understanding my issue.

Here's the way HAL handles the Service Charge communication. It's clear, concise and clearly stated as discretionary: " If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise." Unfortunately NCL's communication is not so clear in relation to the discretionary aspect. I won't repeat the illustrations referred to in my earlier post.

As I said earlier - "Your response is from the perspective of employees. I am coming from the perspective of the customer. Again, I take exception not to the method but to the way the method is represented. That is all."

All of the comments that follow are irrelevant because they do not pertain to any of my issues. I understand and respect employees and the need for fairness in all aspects of the workplace environment.

what I'm suggesting is that the people who are away from their families for 9 months at a time, who have in many instances worked for more than 1 cruiseline, have said they PREFER this method.

You have suggested that it is the cruiseline determining how much people get, which irritates you.

So please consider this scenario. You want to allocate more money to one worker than another. The person in the next cabin does the exact opposite, and 2 cabins over sees that this is possible and just decided to remove the DSC entirely.

Now the person you wanted to reward will actually receive less, than if the system in place was followed.

YOUR system works with YOUR intentions and YOUR behaviour....which I think is noble.

What it doesn't account for are the myriad cultures which expect service to be included, or don't expect the charge (yes, I know this supports your contention), or are otherwise inclined to remove it (no budget, hard bed, lost at casino....whatever).

Tipping is traditional in cruising. Every cruiseline either has a tipping policy (see the long thread in the main NCL board), or has an auto-tip, or makes a big deal that service is priced into the fare already.

NCL adds service at the end....it's not commissionable to TAs, it isn't paid in advance, it can give those from non-tipping cultures the peace-of-mind that they have done their 'tipping duty' and feel comfortable about it, and it helps reduce the number of people who stiff the staff just because they don't care.

[/soapbox]

Please see the comments inserted above. Thank you for the discussion.

Archived