Tipping and Service Charge

Here is information directly from the NCL web site:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I am sure that NCL (and other cruise lines that have this charge) fairly compensate those crew members based on their performance. Not every crew member has the opportunity to have that one on one with vacationers to earn some of the special tips. I think of those crew members that serve on the buffet, cook the food and wipe the tables up after I am done.

While you can adjust your tips if you have poor service as the NCL web-site notes I have never felt like the $12 a day in tips was unreasonable. Consider the number of times the crew assists each passenger daily:

- Breakfast server (buffet or dining room)

- Breakfast cooks, cleaning staff

- Steward morning clean up

- Lunch server (buffet or dining room)

- Lunch cooks, cleaning staff

- Steward afternoon clean up / bed turn down

- Dinner server (buffet or dining room)

- Dinner cooks, cleaning staff

I usually have some type of afternoon snack before dinner so add in two more. I'm not counting drink trips as bar tabs automatically add 15%.

On other lines where you have the same server every night have the service charge be discretionary can make sense. On my last NCL cruise I never had the same server twice. That can make it very difficult to be fair.... and to be honest I don't want to have to carry that much cash or think about it that much.

In the end it is up to you. I think the charge is very fair and have left the same type of charge in place when I have cruised on NCL, Carnival, Princess and RCI.

Here is information directly from the NCL web site:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I am sure that NCL (and other cruise lines that have this charge) fairly compensate those crew members based on their performance. Not every crew member has the opportunity to have that one on one with vacationers to earn some of the special tips. I think of those crew members that serve on the buffet, cook the food and wipe the tables up after I am done.

While you can adjust your tips if you have poor service as the NCL web-site notes I have never felt like the $12 a day in tips was unreasonable. Consider the number of times the crew assists each passenger daily:

- Breakfast server (buffet or dining room)

- Breakfast cooks, cleaning staff

- Steward morning clean up

- Lunch server (buffet or dining room)

- Lunch cooks, cleaning staff

- Steward afternoon clean up / bed turn down

- Dinner server (buffet or dining room)

- Dinner cooks, cleaning staff

I usually have some type of afternoon snack before dinner so add in two more. I'm not counting drink trips as bar tabs automatically add 15%.

On other lines where you have the same server every night have the service charge be discretionary can make sense. On my last NCL cruise I never had the same server twice. That can make it very difficult to be fair.... and to be honest I don't want to have to carry that much cash or think about it that much.

In the end it is up to you. I think the charge is very fair and have left the same type of charge in place when I have cruised on NCL, Carnival, Princess and RCI.

Thanks for your comments 'nets33' - but you're covering what has already been discussed. I'm not a first time cruiser and I clearly understand how the people of the ship work hard to meet customer needs. None of this discussion relates to a lack of desire on my part to reward those people.

The fact is - the Service Charge is NOT a tipping pool. Read post #16 which in part discusses the following:

"What this is saying is that the money collected from the daily service charges is used to help (supports) fund the paycheck (salary) and the various available incentive programs that are available to the crew. Examples of incentive programs would be things like crew morale parties, long distance phone cards or Internet time to contact home, employee of the week/month/year awards, etc. NCL never uses the term "tip pool". "

Thanks for your comments and perspective.

To dnl_in_Illinois

Back on page one, I stated my hesitation to post to this topic because it is one that generally gets "out of hand" very quickly on these boards.

I want to tell you that many many people here could learn from your example. Your responses have been reasonable at all times and they stay within the confines of an adult conversation. Kudos to you, sir.

I do understand the points that you have made in your responses. Let me offer you a suggestion.

NCL's VP of Shipboard Operations is Klaus Lugmaier. Klaus worked his way up through the ranks and as Hotel Director, has launched many of NCL's ships. He is very customer oriented, very approachable, and extremely good at his job. He left his desk job in Miami and is again serving as Hotel Director to launch the Epic. He will be onboard for your cruise. I can assure you that if you ask for a few minutes of his time, he will gladly listen to your concerns and perhaps offer some feedpack to your questions.

I would highly recommend that you take some time to discuss your concerns with him. He can not only give you insight, but he can take your issues with him right back to the top brass in the head office.

Enjoy your cruise aboard the Epic. I'll be looking forward to reading your review.

To dnl_in_Illinois

Back on page one, I stated my hesitation to post to this topic because it is one that generally gets "out of hand" very quickly on these boards.

I want to tell you that many many people here could learn from your example. Your responses have been reasonable at all times and they stay within the confines of an adult conversation. Kudos to you, sir.

I do understand the points that you have made in your responses. Let me offer you a suggestion.

NCL's VP of Shipboard Operations is Klaus Lugmaier. Klaus worked his way up through the ranks and as Hotel Director, has launched many of NCL's ships. He is very customer oriented, very approachable, and extremely good at his job. He left his desk job in Miami and is again serving as Hotel Director to launch the Epic. He will be onboard for your cruise. I can assure you that if you ask for a few minutes of his time, he will gladly listen to your concerns and perhaps offer some feedpack to your questions.

I would highly recommend that you take some time to discuss your concerns with him. He can not only give you insight, but he can take your issues with him right back to the top brass in the head office.

Enjoy your cruise aboard the Epic. I'll be looking forward to reading your review.

Thank you kindly for your compliments. But the discussion always had 2 sides and I think everyone has handled themselves exceptionally.

I know of Klaus. He was in the CC video re: the Epic and I found him to be exceptionally customer oriented and sincere. He is expected to be at our Meet and Greet for our August Epic cruise. If possible, and only if I can visit with him one-on-one or in a small group, I would like to discuss this with him. We will see.

As I've said previously, I don't want my frustration with this to spoil my cruise. I am certain I will pay the service charge with ease when we receive our final bill and at least the angst of the "surprise" will be well behind me. Thanks again. Wish you were on our sailing. I'd like to shake your hand.

Dave Koester

When you spend $ on other services on the Epic: bar/soda, spa, specialty restaurants, your bill comes with (other than the restaurants) an additional 18% gratuity pre-added AND A LINE FOR "EXTRA TIP"!!! So what you are presented with is something that looks just like a bill you'd get at any of these services on land--a total and a place to write in a tip. To me it gives the impression and you are EXPECTED to give something for the extra tip, and you are stiffing someone if you don't. Someone who didn't look closely at their bill would just automatically add on a tip.

Personally, I have an issue with the extra tip line. 18% is enough of a tip, and I don't like feeling like a heel for not giving an "extra tip".

Is this something others have seen or is it Epic-specific?

When you spend $ on other services on the Epic: bar/soda, spa, specialty restaurants, your bill comes with (other than the restaurants) an additional 18% gratuity pre-added AND A LINE FOR "EXTRA TIP"!!! So what you are presented with is something that looks just like a bill you'd get at any of these services on land--a total and a place to write in a tip. To me it gives the impression and you are EXPECTED to give something for the extra tip, and you are stiffing someone if you don't. Someone who didn't look closely at their bill would just automatically add on a tip.

Personally, I have an issue with the extra tip line. 18% is enough of a tip, and I don't like feeling like a heel for not giving an "extra tip".

It's on all the NCL ships. I just strike a line through it, and fill in the total the same as it was printed above. As you said, the 18% is generally sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...

When we booked the transatlantic we paid the service charge upfront through our TA. Our onboard account showed the charge and then there was a credit to account for this. Thus this was not a surprise to us the biggest surprise we got was the additional charge added every time you bought something. I thought that was what the service charge was to stop!

We have just returned from an HAL cruise and there was a daily charge on this cruise also which we couldn't pre-pay.

But the fact is NCL competes with RCI, Celebrity, HAL etc who all do not include tips in their fares either.

I know that if you choose the anytime dining option with RCI or P & O then tips are added onto the cost of the booking and not added should you choose set meal times.

I see where you're coming from. It would be nice if it was all inclusive like several luxury lines, or AI resorts. But the fact is NCL competes with RCI, Celebrity, HAL etc who all do not include tips in their fares either. People who compare prices without realizing that NCL's price includes tips would simply assume NCL is too expensive, out of their budget or simply that they can get a better deal somewhere else and NCL would loose that business.

I think it's their way of simplifying things for the shopper so they can compare apples to apples.

Luxury lines charge 2x to 3x what NCl charges for a cruise. Also, most generous people do tip at AIs.

I hesitate to really get into a well detailed response on this topic...this is just too much of a hot-button topic for some people who seem to want to jump on it just for the sake of bickering....

If you really want a better understanding of this, there are two concepts that you need to read up on and understand as to how they apply.

[1] The first is that there are legal/financial definitions for both a "service charge" and a "gratuity". These are NOT the same. If you go back and re-read the FAQ, you will see that NCL takes care to talk about gratuities and service charges in DIFFERENT sections....they have to for legal reasons. Understand what the difference is and don't confuse one with the other.

As a further example, this quote comes directly from the NCL Welcome Aboard Booklet. It is the last sentence of the paragraph that follows the question, "What about gratuities?"

Pride of America has a service charge of 18% for all spa and salon services and all other NCL ships have an automatic gratuity of 18% for all spa and salon services.

Notice in reading this that for the passenger, you get 18% added to your spa and salon services no matter where you are sailing. HOWEVER, on the US Flagged ship, they take care to call it a "service charge" and on the International ships it is a "gratuity".

[2] The second concept is this whole idea that the service charge is somehow divided up into shares and is given to employees as though it is a shared "tip pool". There is NOTHING in writing to support this idea...this concept is message board urban legend....nothing else.

Here is the direct quote from the FAQ about the service charge:

Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Now, here is that same quote with the key terms highlighted:

Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are
compensated by a combination
of salary and incentive programs that your service charge
supports

What this is saying is that the money collected from the daily service charges is used to help (supports) fund the paycheck (salary) and the various available incentive programs that are available to the crew. Examples of incentive programs would be things like crew morale parties, long distance phone cards or Internet time to contact home, employee of the week/month/year awards, etc.

NCL never uses the term "tip pool".

Now I'm wondering just how much of this "fee" the crew actually gets. I'll be asking some pointed questions in September. Oh Mr Sheehan.....

I'm a little confused ... we'll have to pay $15 per day (that's $60 x 7 for my family of four in ONE cabin) for gratuities/tip/service charge which is a whopping $420.

AND we have to pay extra for some restaurants and some entertainment (Cirque, Murder Mystery, movies).

AND an 18% gratuity is automatically added to our purchases?!?!

Hate to sound cheap, but my two kids will typically just grab food at the buffet. And, my cabin will have to pay $420 while most others will pay $210.

When you add it all up, it's another $1,000 +/- for this all-inclusive cruise.

Cirque dinner, for example, will cost my family $125 before drinks. I'm getting nervous about the expenses and that's AFTER paying a pretty hefty price for the cruise.

Now, I know I had the choice and I chose NCL so don't send me the snippy "just don't go" notes. I'm just participating in an existing conversation here! :-)

I'm a little confused ... we'll have to pay $15 per day (that's $60 x 7 for my family of four in ONE cabin) for gratuities/tip/service charge which is a whopping $420.

AND we have to pay extra for some restaurants and some entertainment (Cirque, Murder Mystery, movies).

Hate to sound cheap, but my two kids will typically just grab food at the buffet. And, my cabin will have to pay $420 while most others will pay $210.

Cirque dinner, for example, will cost my family $125 before drinks. I'm getting nervous about the expenses and that's AFTER paying a pretty hefty price for the cruise.

Now, I know I had the choice and I chose NCL so don't send me the snippy "just don't go" notes. I'm just participating in an existing conversation here! :-)

Linda, I think I want to start a pool to see how many snippy "don't go" notes are on the way! LOL

I think you SHOULD go (on the trip)....but go with the right math in mind.... it's $12 pp / day, not $15....Cirque Dreams will cost the 4 of you $60, not $125.

So $48/day x 7 days = $336 + $60 for Cirque Dreams.... is about $400 in non-controllable expenses....except that the Cirque Dreams is optional too.....

It's 15% on BAR purchases (nothing in the stores), and 18% in the Spa.

Those are just the auto-gratuities. I have seen people in the spa argue about those fees and have them taken off, then they've written-in a lesser number on the Tip line... frankly at the spa, 18% is starting to hit the top of my generosity level. I'm not sure what the arrangement is there with the technicians.....do they only keep the tips?

But a $265 service for 100 minutes @ 18% tip = $47.70 / 100 minutes = $.47/minute in gratuity. I would never tip this much on land, yet I tolerate it at sea just because I don't really like making a scene.

BUT.... all the spa services are optional, so.... I have only myself to blame. :D

<snip>

It's 15% on BAR purchases (nothing in the stores), and 18% in the Spa.

Those are just the auto-gratuities. I have seen people in the spa argue about those fees and have them taken off, then they've written-in a lesser number on the Tip line. <end snip>

Now I'm confused. I thought I understood this. Are we saying:

• When you receive your bar bill there is an automatic tip of 15% included in the charge and a blank line where you can add more if you want? (I think the answer here is yes.)
  • The question is - can one line through the 15% amount and eliminate the tip completely or adjust it to another amount?

What confused me here is the use of the term "auto-gratuities" and it is that I'm attempting to understand. Thanks for your help! I'm not quibbling over tips or amounts. I'm honestly attempting to understand how the system works on NCL.

Example 1: your drink costs $10, your auto-tip is 15% ($1.50) so you are charged $11.50. Under that $11.50 there is a line for "extra tip".

Example 2: your spa treatment is $100, auto tip (18%) is $18, total is $118, there is a line for "extra tip".

Example 3: you eat dinner at Moderno and have zero drinks. Your check is $18 (no auto-tip) and there is a line for "extra tip".

Example 4: you buy a $25 bottle of booze at the ship's duty-free shop. Your bill is $25. Nothing additional is added. (I didn't buy anything so I don't know if that "extra tip" line is there at the shops :>)

Now I'm confused. I thought I understood this. Are we saying:

• When you receive your bar bill there is an automatic tip of 15% included in the charge and a blank line where you can add more if you want? (I think the answer here is yes.)
  • The question is - can one line through the 15% amount and eliminate the tip completely or adjust it to another amount?

What confused me here is the use of the term "auto-gratuities" and it is that I'm attempting to understand. Thanks for your help! I'm not quibbling over tips or amounts. I'm honestly attempting to understand how the system works on NCL.

You can't just "line through it", because it's already part of the bill. You would have to dispute it, and have them ring up another bill without the auto-gratuity.

And the answer to the first question is correct....there is a blank line under the auto-tip, in case you want to add more. I got caught once, added an extra $10 because I hadn't realized the 18% was already on the bill.

You can't just "line through it", because it's already part of the bill. You would have to dispute it, and have them ring up another bill without the auto-gratuity.

And the answer to the first question is correct....there is a blank line under the auto-tip, in case you want to add more. I got caught once, added an extra $10 because I hadn't realized the 18% was already on the bill.

Thanks, you just documented one of my objections to this line!!

Example 1: your drink costs $10, your auto-tip is 15% ($1.50) so you are charged $11.50. Under that $11.50 there is a line for "extra tip".

Example 2: your spa treatment is $100, auto tip (18%) is $18, total is $118, there is a line for "extra tip".

Example 3: you eat dinner at Moderno and have zero drinks. Your check is $18 (no auto-tip) and there is a line for "extra tip".

Example 4: you buy a $25 bottle of booze at the ship's duty-free shop. Your bill is $25. Nothing additional is added. (I didn't buy anything so I don't know if that "extra tip" line is there at the shops :>)

Nicely done - very clear. And thanks to "sjbdtz" for your comment. I'm sure I won't dispute any bar bills - but this does seem deceptive to me. In fact it "kinda" implies that I'm giving 15% more to NCL (who will decide how the money is used) and if I really want to reward the bar tender I need to give him/her something more!

Nicely done - very clear. And thanks to "sjbdtz" for your comment. I'm sure I won't dispute any bar bills - but this does seem deceptive to me. In fact it "kinda" implies that I'm giving 15% more to NCL (who will decide how the money is used) and if I really want to reward the bar tender I need to give him/her something more!

I think the problem they have is this:

Bartenders are paid a monthly 'advance' against tips earned. It is MY understanding that if they go OVER the tips earned, those are banked against future months. EXCEPT if they are written-in tips, which are paid-out.

Does anyone else have more detail on this? I'm pretty sure about the first part...less certain about the 2nd part.

Yes, you captured what I was thinking exactly!! That the bartender/server doesn't get that 15% as a tip, so only the extra line is theirs.

I think the problem they have is this:

Bartenders are paid a monthly 'advance' against tips earned. It is MY understanding that if they go OVER the tips earned, those are banked against future months. EXCEPT if they are written-in tips, which are paid-out.

Does anyone else have more detail on this? I'm pretty sure about the first part...less certain about the 2nd part.

Being a retired HR executive - the way I view it is that NCL is padding their payroll budgets with the 15% additions to each bar bill plus the $12 pp a day service charge. Ultimately those monies become an expected amount of cash compensation and likely less viewed as part of a reward for good service. This is especially true since NCL does not make it clear that the service charge is discretional let alone the built in bar or spa tips.

I'm not against any of these concepts -- but I continue to suggest that it is deception being thrust upon NCL guests. Maybe the cruise fares seem reasonable but look out for the addons. It's not unlike buying a seat on an airplane only to learn that if you carry a bag (you pay) or if you want a pillow or blanket (you pay), etc. If all cruise lines did it - then fine. But all do not handle it in this way. <caveat emptor>

Being a retired HR executive - the way I view it is that NCL is padding their payroll budgets with the 15% additions to each bar bill plus the $12 pp a day service charge. Ultimately those monies become an expected amount of cash compensation and likely less viewed as part of a reward for good service. This is especially true since NCL does not make it clear that the service charge is discretional let alone the built in bar or spa tips.

I'm not against any of these concepts -- but I continue to suggest that it is deception being thrust upon NCL guests. Maybe the cruise fares seem reasonable but look out for the addons. It's not unlike buying a seat on an airplane only to learn that if you carry a bag (you pay) or if you want a pillow or blanket (you pay), etc. If all cruise lines did it - then fine. But all do not handle it in this way. <caveat emptor>

But something to keep in mind: the bar staff is not included in the DCS. They receive their addtl $$ via the 15% charge on bar orders. This way only those utilizing bar services pay.

Also no one is forcing anyone to order from the bar it is optional.

But something to keep in mind: the bar staff is not included in the DCS. They receive their addtl $$ via the 15% charge on bar orders. This way only those utilizing bar services pay.

Also no one is forcing anyone to order from the bar it is optional.

That IS an excellent point. And since I won't deny them the 15% anyway the issue is probably moot as far as I am concerned, but maybe not for others. I *do not* wish to deny the workers what they are due. I just don't agree with the way it is being managed by NCL. That's just me, my opinion. Other's have their opinions. I appreciate your admonition 'tho'.

We got an excellent deal.

Booking direct with NCL was going to cost us £1384 per person. We booked via our travel agent and got it for £1350 per person including all gratuities for our 14 night B2B.

So we have already paid our gratuities but as always we will look after our cabin steward, and a couple of our favourite bar tenders up front just to make sure we get looked after well.

We got an excellent deal.

Booking direct with NCL was going to cost us £1384 per person. We booked via our travel agent and got it for £1350 per person including all gratuities for our 14 night B2B.

So we have already paid our gratuities but as always we will look after our cabin steward, and a couple of our favourite bar tenders up front just to make sure we get looked after well.

Great deal and the best way to handle the service charge. One small point the bar staff is not included in the pool from the service charge. The live off those 15% charges added to all bar service and anything extra we elect to give. They are paid a monthy draw against those gratuities. :eek:

Archived