Sorry!! Another Beverage Package question!!

aggietd

This has probably been answerd loads of times but I have done a few searches but cannot find the answer in writing.

Looking at the beverage packages for our next cruise and I am a bit confused, I take it you have to buy a package for each person and the package price is per person not per cabin?

Looking at the package price (£40.00 per day Premium) seems not really worth it for us if it is per person, that is an awfull lot of drink to drink!! We tend to have a Cocktail before dinner, Bottle of wine with dinner and perhaps a night cap (or two) later on, we do not tend to drink much alchohol or soft drinks during the day.

Do you have to drink a lot to make this worth while?

Would love any advice, thank you

Nancy

Again...the real question is not one of price, but of value.

What is it worth to you to not have to think about the bill at the end of the trip?

For me, it's priceless.

For others, it's simple arithmetic.

I honestly don't expect to "beat the house" with my package.

But personally, being on vacation and having a mind free of worry is priceless...

I'll long since forget about the $100-200 that I could've saved by buying a la carte, when I'm remembering what a great trip it was...

Amortize that $200 over the next 30 - 50 yrs of life - how worth it does it become?

If they took the all inclusive out of the meal option, and you paid a la carte, many people would probably find themselves at the bar-BQ grill most nights...just think about what you'd miss out on doing that.

Do you think you EAT enough to get your money's worth? probably not.

SO asking others if it's worth it is pointless. No one can tell you what you value.

This has probably been answerd loads of times but I have done a few searches but cannot find the answer in writing.

Looking at the beverage packages for our next cruise and I am a bit confused, I take it you have to buy a package for each person and the package price is per person not per cabin?

Looking at the package price (£40.00 per day Premium) seems not really worth it for us if it is per person, that is an awfull lot of drink to drink!! We tend to have a Cocktail before dinner, Bottle of wine with dinner and perhaps a night cap (or two) later on, we do not tend to drink much alchohol or soft drinks during the day.

Do you have to drink a lot to make this worth while?

Would love any advice, thank you

Nancy

Hi Nancy

I must admit that when I forst saw the package I was of the same view as you. However, I found a price list for drinks and after working out what a normal day of drinking would be decided that the package was worth it. We will be getting the packge for our Eclipse cruise in July.

The package in $ is $75 each I think and my rockoning for each was as follows:

2 Premium Coffes AM - $8

1 Glasse of Wine with lunch - $8

2 premium coffees PM - $8

2 Cocktails or beer PM by the pool - $10

3 Glasses of Wine with dinner - $24

1 Martini before and 1 after dinner - $20 we like the martinis!!!

Drinks at the show - $8

Nightcap - $8

+15% = Approx $110

Hope this helps.

It definitely depends on "how" you drink. For us, the premium beverage package makes sense - I'm a oenophile, and if I can pair a few wines with my dinner, that's going to be somewhere between $20-30/day. Add in juice at breakfast ($3-5), a cocktail before dinner ($8-12), tea in Al Bacio after dinner $4-8, Sambuca while watching the show & relaxing with my cruising buddies ($7-14), and even at the minimum I'm going to be pretty much at the cost of the premium package every day. Worth it to me to get it, since then I can indulge in some Molecular bar samplings ($12/ea) and throw in some bottles of water here and there, maybe a soft drink or two, and on sea days that will be higher. Add the tips on top of that, and it's a serious no-brainer.

I would recommend finding some of the drink menus for the venues on your ship and checking through them to see where you're likely to spend your money compared to the itinerary you're doing, and total your minimums, including 15% tip. If doing that doesn't add up, then definitely skip it.

The cruise I'm looking at is very port-intensive (12 night Med), and I'm still going to hit the limit. If I were going on a Caribbean? I'd be double the limit. :)

The price is only $75 at the current £ conversion rate applied by X on their site; if you wait til you go on board the price is $55 per day including service charge

I posted an analysis on your other post think it reflects what many are saying here

The other thing is how important is it to you at the start of your cruise that you know the maximum you will spend on alcohol is capped - that might sway any marginal decisions

I, too, was doing similar calculations and, initially, did not realize that the 15% tip was included in the price, not added on to the package. With the tip included is it very easy for me to reach $56.50 or whatever the price is:

diet coke @ $3.00 each figure 2 per day = $ 6.00

waters @ $4.00 (big bottle as I understand it) x 2 =$8.00

3 -4 wines or cocktails @ $12.00 = $48.00

All of that totals $62.00 and then you add the 15% on top. For me, it is a deal and I don't consider myself a heavy drinker. My weakness is wine and generally tend to consume it after 5 PM. Over 6 or 7 hours, 4 glasses of wine isn't a lot of alcohol.

I won't have to lug sodas and water on the ship. I can get a big bottle of water before I work out and as another poster commented, have a Pellagrino with dinner.

As just about everyone has said, you have to run the numbers based on your beverage consumption. Don't forget that it includes the specialty coffee and teas as well. The Celebrity website shows you what brands of alcohol and beverages are included at each level of the program.

I agree only you can really decide if it would be worth it to you or not. If you do not drink very much, then probably not, and maybe you should just pay as you go.

The packages are per person and not per cabin.

I put an example of things I or my husband might want to have or try out on a day and here's what I came up with:

Cappuccino (morning) 5

Irish Coffee (after dinner) 6

Patron Margarita (2) 17

Wine (with dinner) 8.5

Water (4) 20

Soda (2) 4

Red Bull 5

Smoothie 8

Martini 10

In this example you really aren't drinking that much and your total for the day is way over the amount you would pay for the package, and it doesn't include the tip. We like to drink bottled water and fresh squeezed juices (which are not on my list). It's all about choices and convenience for us. If we want something (or not), we want to be able to get it and not worry about what we are going to spend, it's already paid for. If our frozen drink gets watered down, we'll just order another. We want to meet some friends in the Martini bar, no problem. Take a drink back to the room, and enjoy it before or after dinner, that's good too.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to answer my query, and 1st let me say sorry for the double posting.

I think i was just quite shocked this morning when I saw the package price, but as most of you say when you sit down and work it out, and considering the tax is included, it is not all that shocking, and taking into account as Canuckdoc doc says the idea of not getting a shock when you see that final bar bill!! well that is priceless.

I think on reflection we may well go for a package, I have plenty of time to budget for it, and I must admit I like the idea of working my way through the martini bar without worrying over that dreaded bar bill, and the idea of chosing different wines to go with different courses at dinner. plus as I said the idea of returning from a cruise without the national dept sounds great.

Thanks again everybody.

Nancy

I sent an e mail to Celebrity asking whether Alcoholic drinks delivered to my stateroom were included in the package. Quite surprisingly I received a reply saying yes, but they did ask in those circumstances would I give the attendant an extra Gratuity. Even although the package contains a 15% Service Charge, I tend to reward what I see as good service with a few dollars tip and would have done so anyway.

I have printed off the e mail from Celebrity and intend taking acopy with me just in case !!

Have almost made up my mind to purchase the classic beverage package for a forthcoming millenium cruise just a couple of questions. 1. Are draught beers availiable 2. Has anybody experienced bad service due to the 15% being prepaid on the drinks package as reported on other sites.

I sent an e mail to Celebrity asking whether Alcoholic drinks delivered to my stateroom were included in the package. Quite surprisingly I received a reply saying yes, but they did ask in those circumstances would I give the attendant an extra Gratuity. Even although the package contains a 15% Service Charge, I tend to reward what I see as good service with a few dollars tip and would have done so anyway.

I have printed off the e mail from Celebrity and intend taking acopy with me just in case !!

Is that right!!! Wow, its getting better as it goes along. I like that they are being very flexible...and yes, do print that memo.;)

Thanks for this update and I hope it works out as they say.

Several returning cruisers said it did not include delivery to the stateroom. They just picked up a drink at the bar on the way to their cabin. Sometimes Celebrity reps give conflicting advice. So perhaps it will include room service bar beverages and perhaps not. just don't be disappointed if that's the case.

Again...the real question is not one of price, but of value.

What is it worth to you to not have to think about the bill at the end of the trip?

For me, it's priceless.

For others, it's simple arithmetic.

I honestly don't expect to "beat the house" with my package.

Canuckdoc: Love your post... but have to chuckle and add my two cents...

Folks.... Canuck is right. You will never, ever "beat the house" on this one. The mark-up on beverages is just too great (not just on a cruise ship, but EVERYWHERE). If you should perhaps drink 3X what these packages offer, it will not dent the cruise line's profit on the drink. They have crunched the numbers, trust me.

With that said..... I think these packages are genius. It will turn our cruise into an all-inclusive. I will order a white wine with my appetizer, a red with my entree and a port with my after dinner cheeses. Can you say "happy?" ;)

Be prepared for some (potentially unwanted) drama when you get onboard and try to enforce the email. We are just off the Solstice and they made it clear that room service and mini-bar were NOT included.

I will order a white wine with my appetizer, a red with my entree and a port with my after dinner cheeses. Can you say "happy?" ;)

Now you're Talking!!

That sounds like a perfect plan..

I know that if I had to pay for each glass, I'd feel the need to finish each so as to not be wasteful...but knowing that it's all inclusive changes that.

Plus, as you say, there's no reason to feel guilty about wasting that pour, because it really only cost celebrity ~$1 to waste it, whereas it would've cost me ~$8.

I've cruised Seabourne -So called "6 Star" - and the all inclusive was the only thing we really enjoyed. We didn't overdrink, but it was worry free..the price was rolled in, and we didn't question, worry or fret about it.

it really made for a nicer cruise..

Everything else that you may have heard about those cruise lines is, in my opinion, overstated.

I think most people were just so drunk that their memories are impaired...

Now that Celebrity can be all-inclusive, for me, it blows Seabourne out of the Water...

Several returning cruisers said it did not include delivery to the stateroom. They just picked up a drink at the bar on the way to their cabin. Almost always Celebrity reps give conflicting advice. So perhaps it will include room service bar beverages and perhaps not. just don't be disappointed if that's the case.

Fixed it for you :D

As someone else said, please be prepared for pushback on room service being included--don't let it ruin your trip.

Now if they'd only add some decent single malts to the drink list :D

Unfortunately if they did they probably wouldn't be included in the premium package. I guess I will just have to settle for Glenlevit or Glenfiddish. It would be nice to have a few 15-18 year olds.

My issue with the drinks package is that it doesn't allow for those days when a) I might not drink any alcohol - I do like to have a couple of sober days during a cruise - and b) days when, thanks to lots of time ashore, I might not be drinking anything, alcoholic or otherwise, on the ship at all. E.g. our day last year at Naples: off the ship before 8 o'clock for the hydrofoil to Capri, and not back on the ship until about 5 o'clock. Then, given that it was the last night of the cruise, we had a very quiet evening and had no more than one glass of wine.

The drinks packages do NOT include those deliered by room service or in the mini bar. Who ever gave you this answer was incorrect I'm afraid!!

My issue with the drinks package is that it doesn't allow for those days when a) I might not drink any alcohol - I do like to have a couple of sober days during a cruise - and b) days when, thanks to lots of time ashore, I might not be drinking anything, alcoholic or otherwise, on the ship at all. E.g. our day last year at Naples: off the ship before 8 o'clock for the hydrofoil to Capri, and not back on the ship until about 5 o'clock. Then, given that it was the last night of the cruise, we had a very quiet evening and had no more than one glass of wine.

Simple solution--don't buy a package. I don't mean to sound flip, but the packages just are not for everyone.

Tom - I totally agree with you. The European cruises are very port intensive, and whilst $45 worth of drinks a day would not be a problem for me (ahem) I really don't like the idea of boarding around 5pm at the end of a long day in the sun and feeling like I only have 7 hours to play 'catch up' to get my monies worth!!!

DH likes red with dinner, I only drink white, which means we usually order 2 bottles with the intention of saving half for the following night (which never happens!) If I had the package then I could have white by the glass, and the menu contains enough variety to keep me happy, whilst he could enjoy his bottle of red. I could have the water, and a few cocktails and my cokes during the day, and he could order as he goes....

$44.85 works out at 5.6 $8 drinks a day....decisions decisions....I am so on the fence about this package still!

Here is the bar list again for those who haven't seen it:

xcompletebarmenu[1].pdf

Archived