First time cruiser - need help deciding

Hi guys and gals,

My husband and I are trying to decide on an itinerary for a cruise we are planning for May 2011. The last time I cruised was when I was 5 and that was on a Carnival, so I consider myself a new cruiser. My husband has never cruised before.

We are trying to decide between a 9 day that leaves from Baltimore and hits 4 stops in the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Samana, Dominican Republic; Labadee, Haiti). The ship is the Enchantment of the Seas.

The second one is a 7 day that leaves from PC and also hits the Eastern Caribbean with 3 stops (Cococay, Bahamas; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten) and the ship is the Freedom of the Seas. This one is also about $200.00 more pp.

From what I have gathered, the FOTS is a much nicer ship, newer, larger, etc. than the EOTS. But, with the first choice we also gain 2 extra days for a cheaper price. Since this will be our first, we have nothing to compare it to. But, we are looking for a really nice last hurah, since we will also be trying to start a family when we return. So, we really want to make this a nice vacation to remember. SO basically, we are trying to figure out what is more worth our money. More days, more stops and less expense? Or less days, less stops, and nice ship?

So my question to all of you experienced RCCL cruisers - if this was your first cruise - which itinerary would you recommend and why?

Thanks!:D

Hmmm....tricky one! We cruised the Western Caribbean on Freedom last November, and just loved it. However, when trying to decide on an itinerary and ship for next summer, it was difficult because looking at smaller/older RCI ships felt (rightly or wrongly) like taking a step backwards.

I think it makes a difference though that we have our 11 yr old to take into account. She loved the H2O zone, Flowrider, ice rink etc. so much on Freedom that I was worried about whether the smaller ships would have so much for her to do. If it had just been my husband and I, I would have booked by itinerary and not worried so much about ship.

To confuse you though, if my DH and I cruise alone in future years, I would always choose by itinerary rather than ship, because we want to do an Australia/NZ cruise, so would be happy with whichever RCI ship is down that way. But then, not being 11, I'm not bothered about flowrider, H2O zone, etc.!

So on one respect it might be better to start smaller and progress up to Freedom, so that Freedom doesn't "spoil" you for the smaller ships next time. We adored Freedom so much that we decided to go for Independence next year...so you do get spoilt a bit! In hindsight I may have started my RCI cruising "career" on a smaller ship first.

Good luck! x

Other things to take into consideration, can you drive to Baltimore and what are the costs of the flights to get tot he FOS? Enchantment is a great ship though it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles. If you haven't stepped foot on a ship since you were 5 you will be blown away with either. I am of the belief that longer is better.

We live in the Indianapolis area - so driving to Baltimore would be a cinch. We would def. fly to Orlando for the PC sailing - which would also require a car from the airport to port. If we did leave from Baltimore, we would probably make a gametime decision, since we can get pretty cheap direct flights through Southwest to Baltimore. So, we would have the luxury of choice in regards to transportation with the Baltimore sailing.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts so far!

We haven't been on Freedom yet, but Enchantment is a great ship. It is unique in the fleet because of changes made when it was extended a few years ago.

It has some of the bells and whistles - a Chops and a Solarium with a retractable roof. It doesn't have an H2O zone, flow rider, ice skating rink, large Promenade, etc.

I'm glad we've done the smaller ships first - then moving on to the larger ships.

We're in Ohio, one state away. We're taking the Enchantment 9-night cruise from Baltimore for the second time, departing July 29, so that should tell give you an idea of how wonderful it is. We've also been on that other cruise once. Considering the easy drive to Baltimore, in comparison to all the airline hassles, the Enchantment cruise is infinitely better. Also, the Sleep Inn at Baltimore's airport is a bargain...their $99 rate (taxes & fees included) is for one-night at the hotel, with breakfast included, plus 14 nights of free parking, and shuttle to & from the port. Parking at the port is $15 per day, so the Sleep Inn option is definitely better.

Hi!

Having sailed the Enchantment (twice ... and leaving again tomorrow), and The Independence this past March (sister to Freedom), I guess I can justifiably weigh in here ;)

It is just you and DH, right? And neither have really sailed before, right? Like earlier posters, you will be blown away by either ship! If it were me... and I really wanted a great last 'hurah', I'd take the 9 days, more ports, alittle more intimate ship.... my vote would be The Enchantment!

Don't get me wrong... love, love, LOVE The Independence... but without kids, The Enchantment meets my needs just fine. Of all the ships I;ve been on, I've never skated on the ice rink... I've seen the Ice Shows, and they are amazing! But on smaller ships they are replaced by other great shows! The Promenade on the larger ships is really cool and convenient, but there are still shops on the smaller ships, and breathtaking views and don't forget The Centrum... should I go on?

And here is a tidbit that might sway you one way or the other... alot of people book the 'larger' choice ship because they have families with older kids/teens who 'need' all those bells and whistles (guilty as charged), so you may actually see more adults than kids on The Enchantment! The contridiction to that would be typical supply and demand. Others choose the Enchantment solely BECAUSE it sails from Baltimore (kids and ALL), and here in the NorthEast, our choices are few!

So, if your head isn't spinning yet, just wait :D I am certain other CCs will chime in with their equally confusing facts to consider ;)

Good Luck choosing... whichever it is, you will have a blast and likely become addicted to it!

A~

Wow......

You guys all have very good points that DH and I had not even considered.....you guys are awesome! ;)

At the end of the day we are really just looking for a lounge chair by the pool with a fruity drink in hand....all while sailing towards a fabulous destination. We don't get real excited by an ice rink or any of the other extras. From what I have read it sounds like the 2005 refurb on the EOS added anything "extra" we would have wanted from FOS.

I know I am now leaning more towards the Baltimore sailing - I am sure DH will too. We can save the FOS for the future when we have kids to entertain as well.

Because I am sure this will not be our last sailing. Cruising seems to be the perfect vacation because you have so many options and ease of getting to places you would probably never visit on your own.

Thanks everyone for all your input - you have really helped out! :D

Im a real new cruiser too............I would pick the longer cheaper trip!

I wanna sail on Freedom really bad but a longer trip for less money is a no brainer to me. Money is a HUGE factor when I cruise :)

While Enchantment is an older ship than Freedom, I bet she is lovely. Even RC's oldest vessel is...... Plus I think it would be neat to sail out of a northern port.

If its been years since you have been on a cruise, I agree that you will be blown away with most any Royal Caribbean ship.

Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back!

I have to agree with the others and say go with the Enchantment. The key fact (at least in my eyes) is you haven't cruised as an adult; therefore, you won't feel like you are "missing" the extra amentities that are on the Freedom.

Now, I have only cruised on the Voyager and Freedom class ships; however, I have no doubt you will be blown away by the ship itself.

You'll save the money on the actual cruise, airfare, and possibly hotel. Plus you'll get the extra days.

You can always try another class later.

I think I agree with the comments above to go with the Enchantment, but I couldn't help but throw out a voice of support for the Freedom as well. As another young couple (DINKS), we thought the Freedom was a riot. We went ice skating, rock climbing, golfing, surfing and playing in the H2O Zone while on board (sshhhhh....). However, we intentionally sought out a vacation that would be both adventurous and active!

Despite this, if in your shoes, I'd go for the Enchantment. Cost is always a factor to consider, and it sounds like the Enchantment is a great option for you. :)

My vote....cheaper and longer cruise!! The money that you save, you could use to do more excursions or whatever you wanted!! I also live around Indy. ( Brownsburg ).....We have always sailed on princess but taking our first cruise with Royal in Oct. Good luck with your decision..whatever you decide, I know you will have a great time!!

Im a real new cruiser too............I would pick the longer cheaper trip!

I wanna sail on Freedom really bad but a longer trip for less money is a no brainer to me. Money is a HUGE factor when I cruise :)

While Enchantment is an older ship than Freedom, I bet she is lovely. Even RC's oldest vessel is...... Plus I think it would be neat to sail out of a northern port.

If its been years since you have been on a cruise, I agree that you will be blown away with most any Royal Caribbean ship.

Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back!

Enchantment has many fans on the board. It is a beautiful ship - our favorite so far.

Whichever ship you choose - have a wonderful vacation.

We are trying to decide between a 9 day that leaves from Baltimore and hits 4 stops in the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Samana, Dominican Republic; Labadee, Haiti). The ship is the Enchantment of the Seas.

The second one is a 7 day that leaves from PC and also hits the Eastern Caribbean with 3 stops (Cococay, Bahamas; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten) and the ship is the Freedom of the Seas. This one is also about $200.00 more pp.

:D

The nicest thing about free advice is that it doesn't cost you anything not to take it. *s*

On the 9 day, you're getting two sea days at the front of the cruise and two at the back end. This is the transit time between FL and MD. The sea days tend to be days when you can really enjoy what the ship has to offer, and if you're going to book a suite, etc., that might be a valid option. If what you're looking for is the boat experience, that's what I'd do. You still get four ports. It would be a good idea to read the reviews of the cruise you want to take on cruise critic so you can get a good feel for what there is to do. I would also look at the main RC board and ask for comments about the two ships. I have not been on either, so I can't comment.

The cruise that leaves from PC has more ports, but none of them are what I would consider great ports. The only really great one is the Caymans. Cozumel is just so-so in my view, unless you like diving and snorkeling, in which case its pretty good. I would stay on the boat in Jamaica and Haiti unless you enjoy viewing poverty first hand.

For me, the better cruise would be on the Southern Carribean route. The Serenade will be cruising in May 2011 on a southern route out of San Juan. Airtran flies to San Juan, and my wife and I recently got our airfare for $228 each way -- a huge bargain over American, Continental, etc. On the Southern Caribbean route you get:

SatMay7San Juan, Puerto Rico

SunMay8At Sea

MonMay9Barbados

TueMay10St. Lucia

WedMay11Antigua

ThuMay12St. Kitts

FriMay13St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

SatMay14St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

SunMay15San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00am

(On some of the Serenade routes the Saturday stop is in St. Croix, and St. Thomas is omitted)

On the May 7 cruise date, and you get

SunMay15San Juan, Puerto Rico

MonMay16St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

TueMay17St. Kitts

WedMay18At Sea

ThuMay19Aruba

FriMay20Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

SatMay21At Sea

SunMay22San Juan, Puerto Rico

on the May 15 departure.

On this cruise you can choose between 1 or 2 sea days, and still get 5 ports, all of which are pretty good. If you want the best cruise experience, my money is on the southern route.

Also, I have not been on the Serenade (we're going on August 29) but all the reviews have been terrific, and the ship is captained by the first female cruise ship captain. She runs a pretty tight ship from what I've read. And when people are loyal to a boat, that generally means good things. This ship has some loyal return cruisers.

Okay, so that's my thoughts. I hope that helps.

Hi guys and gals,

My husband and I are trying to decide on an itinerary for a cruise we are planning for May 2011. The last time I cruised was when I was 5 and that was on a Carnival, so I consider myself a new cruiser. My husband has never cruised before.

From what I have gathered, the FOTS is a much nicer ship, newer, larger, etc. than the EOTS. But, with the first choice we also gain 2 extra days for a cheaper price. Since this will be our first, we have nothing to compare it to. But, we are looking for a really nice last hurah, since we will also be trying to start a family when we return. So, we really want to make this a nice vacation to remember. SO basically, we are trying to figure out what is more worth our money. More days, more stops and less expense? Or less days, less stops, and nice ship?

So my question to all of you experienced RCCL cruisers - if this was your first cruise - which itinerary would you recommend and why?

Thanks!:D

I would go with the longer cruise. Then when your kids are old enough, take them on the Freedom of the Seas (or one of her sister ships). They will really enjoy the H2O Zone.

Have sailed 3 times on Enchantment and been on Liberty (sister ship of Freedom) for 2 adults I would say go on Enchantment. Wonderful ship great crew, work your way up to Freedom class.

Plus 4 sea days how wonderful!

The sea days are the icing for me too;) PLUS, the trip down the bay is beautiful - make sure you're on deck to sail over the VA Bridge/Tunnel around 11:30:) I'd take 9 over 7 anyday...even though I'm looking at a 7 night FOS for 9/2011 cause of the price and the ship (and maybe our first Aft balcony:p).

The nicest thing about free advice is that it doesn't cost you anything not to take it. *s*

On the 9 day, you're getting two sea days at the front of the cruise and two at the back end. This is the transit time between FL and MD. The sea days tend to be days when you can really enjoy what the ship has to offer, and if you're going to book a suite, etc., that might be a valid option. If what you're looking for is the boat experience, that's what I'd do. You still get four ports. It would be a good idea to read the reviews of the cruise you want to take on cruise critic so you can get a good feel for what there is to do. I would also look at the main RC board and ask for comments about the two ships. I have not been on either, so I can't comment.

The cruise that leaves from PC has more ports, but none of them are what I would consider great ports. The only really great one is the Caymans. Cozumel is just so-so in my view, unless you like diving and snorkeling, in which case its pretty good. I would stay on the boat in Jamaica and Haiti unless you enjoy viewing poverty first hand.

For me, the better cruise would be on the Southern Carribean route. The Serenade will be cruising in May 2011 on a southern route out of San Juan. Airtran flies to San Juan, and my wife and I recently got our airfare for $228 each way -- a huge bargain over American, Continental, etc. On the Southern Caribbean route you get:

SatMay7San Juan, Puerto Rico

SunMay8At Sea

MonMay9Barbados

TueMay10St. Lucia

WedMay11Antigua

ThuMay12St. Kitts

FriMay13St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

SatMay14St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

SunMay15San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00am

(On some of the Serenade routes the Saturday stop is in St. Croix, and St. Thomas is omitted)

On the May 7 cruise date, and you get

SunMay15San Juan, Puerto Rico

MonMay16St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

TueMay17St. Kitts

WedMay18At Sea

ThuMay19Aruba

FriMay20Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

SatMay21At Sea

SunMay22San Juan, Puerto Rico

on the May 15 departure.

On this cruise you can choose between 1 or 2 sea days, and still get 5 ports, all of which are pretty good. If you want the best cruise experience, my money is on the southern route.

Also, I have not been on the Serenade (we're going on August 29) but all the reviews have been terrific, and the ship is captained by the first female cruise ship captain. She runs a pretty tight ship from what I've read. And when people are loyal to a boat, that generally means good things. This ship has some loyal return cruisers.

Okay, so that's my thoughts. I hope that helps.

Again free advise. From someone who hasnt been on these ships! you will get just about any advise. We LOVE ladabee in Haiti and have been there 3 times and there is no poverty that you see. We also like Jamaica where we did zipline. Cozumel is one of my favs, beaches and shopping. We have done the southern route and its nice but I would do the Baltimore with more days and as you have said you want to relax. We loved the 2 cruise days to get to the first port let us get into vacation mode. Again its what you are looking for. You will enjoy whatever ship and we have done both.

Been on both. Easy decision. Since this is your last hurrah before starting a family, give yourselves a splurge and go with the Freedom. The ship itself is a destination with so much more entertainment and dining options than Enchantment. Enchantment is just so "old school" with no "wow" factor. Freedom definitely has the "WOW" going for it. Eastern or Western Caribbean...both are good choices. Plus if you sail out of PC, give yourself a couple extra days and take in a couple of Theme parks in Orlando. Awesome amount of stuff to do there!

Archived