Balcony Locks on Staterooms

new_cruiser2011

I have a very active 4 year old. Are the locks on cruiseship balconies made with the idea that adventurous kids might want to take a look outside? I'm guessing Disney Cruise Line is good but just wanted to check. Are the locks up high so little fingers can't reach?

I have a very active 4 year old. Are the locks on cruiseship balconies made with the idea that adventurous kids might want to take a look outside? I'm guessing Disney Cruise Line is good but just wanted to check. Are the locks up high so little fingers can't reach?

Not only are the locks up high, but the doors usually are SO heavy I doubt a child would have the strength to move them, even if they were unlocked!

I've never been on Disney, so I can't answer you there. Most other lines will have a top slider lock. HAL has a key lock which was the best, except the time our DS locked us out. :) I have read numerous posts stating that the doors are too heavy for small children to open, but my skinny little 3 year old seems to have an easier time getting the door open than I do. We bring a cheap door alarm ($20 at Home Depot). If DS wakes up in the middle of the night he is much more likely to climb into bed with us than to go to the balcony, but the alarm gives me piece of mind.

If I recall correctly, the Statendam verandah doors also have a keylock ... lock it and remove the key and, hopefully, remember where you've stowed it.

Sorry, people, I misread the thread title and gave inappropriate feedback.

Archived