Pearl Harbor and Cameras

dleighb

We will be on NCL in December. The Friday before we sail, we would like to visit Pearl Harbor (our cruise ends on Christmas day, so we can't do it on disembarkation). My husband is a amateur photographer. This involves an SLR camera with multiple lenses. We've read that you can't bring bags, including camera bags, on the tour. Are there any restrictions on pockets? If he has a pair of pants that have a pocket big enough to hold his wide angle lens, is he going to have a problem?

How close and convenient are the lockers? As we'll be touring all day, I can't imagine how to make everything work with not having any bags. I always have a bag with water, food, medicines, maps, guidebooks, etc. In fact, I'll feel quite naked without it, but will hopefully be able to carry my inhaler and such in my pocket.

Since it is multiple parts, where exactly is it that we cannot have bags?

If we take the Stars and Stripes tour with Roberts for the day, can we leave our bags on a bus?

Thanks.

We will be on NCL in December. The Friday before we sail, we would like to visit Pearl Harbor (our cruise ends on Christmas day, so we can't do it on disembarkation). My husband is a amateur photographer. This involves an SLR camera with multiple lenses. We've read that you can't bring bags, including camera bags, on the tour. Are there any restrictions on pockets? If he has a pair of pants that have a pocket big enough to hold his wide angle lens, is he going to have a problem?

How close and convenient are the lockers? As we'll be touring all day, I can't imagine how to make everything work with not having any bags. I always have a bag with water, food, medicines, maps, guidebooks, etc. In fact, I'll feel quite naked without it, but will hopefully be able to carry my inhaler and such in my pocket.

If we take the Stars and Stripes tour with Roberts for the day, can we leave our bags on a bus?

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question about Roberts, but I suggest you call them if you get no reply here.

With regards to cameras here are a couple links to articles

http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/pearlharbor/a/pearl_harbor.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090626115209AAfN4mw

I have had my camera in my pocket, but then it is just a digital camera. Pockets are OK--my husband always carries his normal pocket stuff, including an inhaler!

The ban on bags is just for the Arizona. There is storage at the Bowfin which is right on the same property--maybe a 300 to 500 foot walk.

If you would go on the Missouri tour, you would be able to take your bags--it's just for the time period you are visiting the Arizona.

Enjoy your visit to a very special place which means so much in our history

We went in May. I have a photo of my Mom on the ferry to ride over to the Arizona and she has her water bottle. My husband and I brought our digital cameras; we each carried one in our pockets.

You don't have to empty your pockets to go on the Arizona.

The bag check is very convenient and it is $3 per bag. Note it is NOT lockers; you pay the fee and hand over the bag and they give you a claim check.

I have had my camera in my pocket' date=' but then it is just a digital camera. Pockets are OK--my husband always carries his normal pocket stuff, including an inhaler!

[b']The ban on bags is just for the Arizona.[/b] There is storage at the Bowfin which is right on the same property--maybe a 300 to 500 foot walk.

If you would go on the Missouri tour, you would be able to take your bags--it's just for the time period you are visiting the Arizona.

Enjoy your visit to a very special place which means so much in our history

That has not been correct in the past, the ban is for the Arizona, the Bowfin, the Missouri, and the Pacific Air Museum. I checked the NPS website and it still says this:

Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring a camera and cam-recorder. A storage facility, operated by a private vendor, is available for visitors coming to the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park, the Battleship Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum. The facility can be found at the entrance to the USS Bowfin Sumarine Park. There is a nominal storage fee. The storage facility is in operation daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage and parking stall for all three tours. Security measures are strictly enforced at all visitor destinations on Pearl Harbor.

We were not allowed to bring bags to Ford Island, especially because it is an active military installation. Visitors to the Missouri and PAM must take a shuttle over to the island and not even military personnel are allowed to just drive on in (unless they have official military business).

We too feel "naked" without our little backpack of the day's "stuff," but had no problem putting our necessities, including a spare lens for DH's camera, in our pockets and carrying bottles of water. It's rather a PITA, but this is one area where I think the strict security measures are important.

beachchick

Thank you. We are looking forward to it. In fact, it is such a must on our list that it is costing us quite a bit of extra money since we have to go in two days early to be able to have enough time to really tour the site and take it all in. We don't want to be rushed. We want the full experience.

At the moment, my husband has some work pants that he plans to wear (they are not BDUs since we think though might be classified as non-dress military wear. While we are civilians, we don't want to cause insult or an issue (which is why I am trying to find out as much as I can before going). They will actually hold a full size SLR lens.

I understand the need for security, but it seems to me that a clear see-through bag like some airlines made people use after 9/11 would also fit the bill and allow people to ensure they have any personal items they may need. I could easily keep the clear bag in my regular bag, pull out what I might need for our group, and then check the regular bag. Ah well. I am also of the belief that much of the time security offers more of an inconvenience to those who mean no harm. Those who do mean harm will find away around whatever measures are in place.

Of course, none of this would matter if I weren't a scrapbooker. I don't buy souvenirs on trips. We take pictures, write about our experiences, and put them in a book to pull out and relive on rainy days. I expect that my pages on Pearl Harbor will be filled with lots of rather poignant stories, and I very much hope to have good pictures to go with the stories.

Sorry, about stating that the Missouri etc on Ford Island also came under this ban. I had forgotten the circumstances under which we went. Also, my 60+ year old brain was forgetting that the last time we were on Ford Island it was in a private vehicle, but we all had military ID's. Also, I never think to include the Bowfin since it is right there, and that is where bags are checked. Forgive me please.

Sorry' date=' about stating that the Missouri etc on Ford Island also came under this ban. I had forgotten the circumstances under which we went. Also, my 60+ year old brain was forgetting that the last time we were on Ford Island it was in a private vehicle, but we all had military ID's. Also, I never think to include the Bowfin since it is right there, and that is where bags are checked. Forgive me please.[/quote']

Nothing at all to forgive. We all have senior moments (aka brain farts).;)

beachchick

Thanks.

While your at the Arizona your bags are fine on the bus but once you head over to Ford Island you'll need to stop at the storage location and check them there. No baggage on Ford Island.

• 1 month later...
What about items such as diabeties supplies -- testing, insulin, etc.?

I think the best bet for a question of this nature, rather than getting a bunch of bound-to-be-different opinions on this board, is to contact the National Park Service directly for the facts: contact info here.

Park Information: (808) 422-3300

Park Admin Offices:(808) 423-7300

We visited Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona memorial at the end of our cruise a few weeks ago. My husband also has a DSLR camera with multiple lenses. He carried the body with a lens attached around his neck, plus an extra lens in the pocket of his cargo shorts. I had my digital camera in my pocket. I also had a little wristlet-wallet (Vera Bradley "All-in-one wristlet") which was fine. They are SERIOUS about the no-purse rule, however, and we actually saw women arguing with the security guards about bringing in their purses! I do recall seeing parents of babies with diaper bags, but that was it.

According to our tour bus driver to the Arizona... if it will fit in your pocket, then it is ok. We also were allowed to wear our cell phone cases on our belts.

You can go right to the gift shop when you enter the Arizona Memorial area and buy souveniers and they put it in a plastic bag that you can carry around (even to the Memorial). Then you could go over to the snack bar and buy a bottle of water and stick that in the gift shop bag...lol.

Now, we should point out to the OP, that she is going to be visiting Pearl Harbor after December 7, 2010. December 7 is the date that the new visitors center is scheduled to open. While I doubt they will remove the "no bags" rule (since it has been in place since 2001), there may be changes in what is checked and what policies are in place.

I also hope the OP knows that they MUST arrive early if they intend to tour the day of their cruise embarkation. I am talking leaving Waikiki by 7:00 a.m.. They begin handing out the free tickets to tender out to the Memorial at 7:30 and the longer you wait to get there means the longer it is to get out to the Memorial. Our tour bus got there at 7:35 a.m. and our tender time was 9:30 a.m.. By 9:30, they were handing out 12:30 tickets. So with needing to be back to the pier by mid afternoon, they really must get to the Arizona Memorial Center early. (and around Christmas is a very busy period for Pearl Harbor... tender tickets for the whole day are usually gone by 11 or noon.)

As far as the security issue is concerned, I do agree somewhat that Security at Pearl Harbor is strange. No bags of any type for fear of people bringing something in to damage the memorial or be a danger. But they don't search the people going in and they don't make you pass through a metal detector. You could put a knife or even a gun under your pant leg and very well not get caught entering the Memorial area.

Thank you. I did not realize we would be there with a new visitor center. What tour did you take? We were thinking about the Roberts Tour. And, yes, I have informed all members of our group that it is a 0-dark-thirty day. If we could be out in the rain on the bow of a ship at 5:00am as we entered the Panama Canal, I assume that we can be ready to go for the Pearl Harbor Tour when we need to be!

The rules do seem odd. If my husband can get his wide angle lens in a pocket of his cargo pants, I'm pretty sure we could fit all sorts of other things in there. I am all for security and such, but when it isn't logical, it irritates me. I thought maybe the no bags rule was because of space limitations because it sure did not seem like it could possibly be for security. For security, they would be better off to just require all see through bags. Or a metal detector. Or a hand search of your bags. What a sad world that we live in that this is even an issue at all.

We were just there in August and had no problem bringing in our cameras. We had 2 point and shoot digitals that we kept in our pockets and I also had a dslr with a long lense. I just carried that (or wore it around my neck). We also had our cell phones in our pockets, but they were on silent the entire visit.

Ladies were allowed to bring a small wallet, to keep their id and money in. Men were allowed cell phones on their hips in small cases (as someone recently mentioned). Other than that, you really cannot bring anything else in.

There was someone sitting at the entrance looking at everyone to make sure the rules are followed. :)

Now, we should point out to the OP, that she is going to be visiting Pearl Harbor after December 7, 2010. December 7 is the date that the new visitors center is scheduled to open. While I doubt they will remove the "no bags" rule (since it has been in place since 2001), there may be changes in what is checked and what policies are in place.

I also hope the OP knows that they MUST arrive early if they intend to tour the day of their cruise embarkation. I am talking leaving Waikiki by 7:00 a.m.. They begin handing out the free tickets to tender out to the Memorial at 7:30 and the longer you wait to get there means the longer it is to get out to the Memorial. Our tour bus got there at 7:35 a.m. and our tender time was 9:30 a.m.. By 9:30, they were handing out 12:30 tickets. So with needing to be back to the pier by mid afternoon, they really must get to the Arizona Memorial Center early. (and around Christmas is a very busy period for Pearl Harbor... tender tickets for the whole day are usually gone by 11 or noon.)

If you book a tour with the cruise line for the Arizona Memorial and Pearl Harbor, would you still stand in line and have to get a ticket. It seems to me that if the cruise line sells you a tour, they have everything arranged for you to get in and back to the ship in plenty of time. Any advise, opinion or experience on this?

Thank you, I am so looking forward to seeing such a very important part of history.

As far as the tour we took, we made up our own tour. We had an extended family and friends with us and there was 15 of us. We didn't like any of the advertized tours because we felt it didn't give us enough time at Dole Plantation, so we did our own.

I contacted Roberts Hawaii and they were great. We got a mini-bus (25 passenger) with driver/tour guide for 8 hours. We paid around $1000 for it which broke down to about $65 per person in our group.

We left the Waikiki Beachcomber at 7:00 a.m., went to Pearl Harbor. Got 9:00 a.m. launch tickets and left PH at 10:30 a.m. We then went to Dole Plantation and had about 2 hours there before we had a driving tour of downtown Honolulu. (Punchbowl, Illoni Palace, Government Buildings, Chinatown, etc.).

It was great. So I really can't answer questions about which tours to take but we used Roberts alot while on our cruise and in Hawaii and they were great.

If you book a tour with the cruise line for the Arizona Memorial and Pearl Harbor, would you still stand in line and have to get a ticket. It seems to me that if the cruise line sells you a tour, they have everything arranged for you to get in and back to the ship in plenty of time. Any advise, opinion or experience on this?

Thank you, I am so looking forward to seeing such a very important part of history.

This is currently a mystery question even to the most seasoned Pearl Harbor tourists. They have changed their policy recently and we aren't sure if it is just while the renovations are going on (due to limited space for lines) or if it is permanent.

On my previous visits to Pearl Harbor (in 2002 and 2004), the tour operator was not allowed to get us tickets. We had to each stand in line and each person had to present themselves to get their ticket. (the exception being a handicapped or older person who could wait on the benches near the entrance until their party had made it to that point, but then they had to join the line.) One time our Tour Driver stood by our group as we meandered through the line and talked to us as we waited. (telling us history and other things...he was great.)

Fast forward to July 2010 when I went back. This time our tour driver radioed ahead and told the number of people on the bus. When we pulled in the parking lot at Pearl Harbor, his Supervisor (as he called him) handed him our 15 tickets. (again, we arrived at Pearl about 7:30 and got 9:00 a.m. tickets). No waiting in line. I noticed other drivers do the same thing. And other posters on this board and the NCL board have mentioned the same thing and how it is different.

The reason they never let tour drivers pick up tickets before was that they didn't want the tour operators gobbling up all the tickets and not leaving any for those who drive themselves or the locals. At the same time, the line usually meandered through the then large front lawn. Now that space is limited at the temporary visitors center, there is no lawn.

Speculation is that the tour driver pick-up is being done to prevent long lines since there is no place for them. The question is: (and one that no one on here as yet to get a definate answer for): is this a temporary set-up? Will they go back to the old way (each person has to get their own) after the new Visitors Center opens on December 7 OR is this going to a permanent change.

Sorry, I can't give a better answer to your question.

Archived