Anniversary on QM2

MKMC

We will be celebrating our 51st wedding anniversary on the QM2. I recall seeing somewhere (?the old Cunard website) that we would be entitled to a few goodies on the ship to help us celebrate but I can find nothing about this on the current Cunard website. Does anyone know anything about this?

Kathleen

Whilst we were oin QM2's world voyage many people celebrated their birthday or wedding anniversaries. In the Britannia dining room table waiters always sang to them (usually about 6 in a group) and often there was a cake with candles. See your table waiter for the information. The ubiquitous photographer was there too! I also know that some couples renewed their wedding vows on board. I am sure the purser's office would help. Congratulations on such a lkong time together. Enjoy QM2 - she's fabulous.

We will be celebrating our 51st wedding anniversary on the QM2. I recall seeing somewhere (?the old Cunard website) that we would be entitled to a few goodies on the ship to help us celebrate but I can find nothing about this on the current Cunard website. Does anyone know anything about this?

Kathleen

First of all congratulations on the 51st wedding anniversary. You have choosen a great liner to celebrate this long anniversary.

We had our silver wedding on QM2 last September, what we had to do to receive the extra benefits was inform our TA of the anniversary. Then we had to send a copy of the wedding certificate.

We then had a bottle of sparkling wine from the captain, a card, some lovely boxed chocolates and a voucher for a free photograph waiting for us in our stateroom when we embarked. This made our first transatlantic crossing very special, which we enjoyed very much.

We are in England, I hope you can organise the same gifts from where you are.

Catherine

Thanks so much for the information , Catherine. I had read somwhere that this was available but can't find it again. now I know I didn't imagine it.

Kathleen

Cunard's US Website, which Canadians are expected to refer to, is silent on the subject of anniversary celebrations. But the UK site promises an anniversary package if you send proof of the wedding date. You don't have to be on board for the actual date of the anniversary as long as it is within a certain range - which I can no longer quote to you. Today when trying to access the UK site (cunard.co.uk) I was automatically redirected to the US site so I can't even read the information I used to be able to.

Several weeks before our May crossing on Queen Mary 2 I sent a letter to Cunard in Valencia, California, indicating I had read somewhere on their Website about anniversary celebrations and I enclosed a copy of the marriage certificate proving that we would be celebrating our 40th anniversary a few days before the crossing. An e-mail promptly confirmed that we were entitled to the package. A few weeks before the voyage we noticed that we had been upgraded from Princess Grill to Queens Grill. I have no idea if our anniversary contributed to our good fortune because upgrades are certainly not promised. But the upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways as we have read on this forum. We received what was promised: flowers (roses), a bottle of California champagne, a certificate from the commodore, a small wooden box of chocolates and a voucher for a free photograph. On our first night in the Queens Grill we were given a cake with a candle. Waiters do not sing to passengers in the grills restaurants, for which we are thankful.

We didn't pay full fare either (assuming that's brochure price, I'm not sure who does!) but we got the goodies. Is it worth sending a copy of your marriage certificate anyway? Apologies if you've already tried that.

Well that's what I thought BB-surely nobody pays the brochure price?? Either way,I've called Cunard twice and been told no, and my TA has done the same..same answer....shame,as we actually sail on our anniversary!

Well that's what I thought BB-surely nobody pays the brochure price?? Either way,I've called Cunard twice and been told no, and my TA has done the same..same answer....shame,as we actually sail on our anniversary!

We will sing to you on your anniversary, just tell us when :)

Best Regards,

Salacia

P.S. A word with the maitre d' prior to your anniversary dinner will no doubt yield result.

FROM THE UK WEB SITE:

Every voyage is a celebration in itself, an experience rich in sophisticated relaxation. No wonder, then, that so many people choose to mark their special occasions on board. Whether it’s a birthday, special anniversary or honeymoon, surely there’s no better setting for such an important event than on board a Cunard liner? To mark your special occasion, Cunard offers an extensive range of gifts, from floral bouquets & chocolates to a selection of fine wines & champagnes. To order a gift for your friend or loved one, simply call our Cunard Reservations Team or your travel agent.

For your Wedding Anniversary or Honeymoon

•Champagne in your stateroom on arrival

•Fresh flowers in your stateroom on arrival

•Congratulations card from your Captain

•Formal portrait photograph

How to request your special benefits

To enjoy your Anniversary or Honeymoon benefits, all you need to do is advise your Voyage Sales Consultant at the time of booking and send in confirmation of your wedding date (via a copy of your marriage certificate, for example). To be eligible for your benefit, your Anniversary or Honeymoon must fall within two months of your voyage date and your voyage must be 6 nights or longer.

All registrations for these benefits must be received at least 2 weeks prior to departure. We regret that we cannot accept any registrations on board. All benefits shown above are per couple.

Cunard's Wedding Anniversary and Honeymoon Programmes exclude World Voyages.

These offers are subject to availability and cannot be combined with any other Cunard savings or promotional programme.

We in the UK are penalised in other ways ie: we cannot get retrospective discounts once we have booked.

THe cost in minimal its the small gestures that make a holiday compare that against a $150 discount on your booking

We in the UK are penalised in other ways ie: we cannot get retrospective discounts once we have booked.

THe cost in minimal its the small gestures that make a holiday compare that against a $150 discount on your booking

Officeboy, I quite agree with you: sadly, UK passengers do not have many of the options available to USA bookings regarding price adjustments and cancellations. It is nice that at least Cunard offer you cousins a anniversary/birthday greeting :) But I'm sure you'd rather have a nice discount (which, BTW, has been far more than $150 in my past experience).

Regards,

Salacia

My husband and I celebrated an anniversary on the QM2. Though we sent in a copy of our marriage certificate, we were told on board that as Canadians we did not qualify, the extras were for UK residents only.

We are travelling on a cunard cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. However we got married in December and the Norweign Fjords cruise that we have always dreamed of doing does not operate in the winter months so we are unable to meet the 2 months rule. Therefore we have been advised that it will be at Cunards discretion.

We have sent in our marriage certificate and a letter explaining why we dont meet the criteria but we will just have to keep our fingers crossed.

I think the 2 month rule is a bit harsh. Not everyone can travel in this timescale or it may not be available for the cruise destination of their choice.

We were on the QM2 eastbound T/A on 7th June.

We booked a table one evening in Todd English.

I popped down and told the Maitre D that we would be having our 28th anniversary within a few weeks.

During the meal we were presented with a cake- a lovely suprise. We couldnt eat it then and asked if we could share it with our table the next night...not a problem.

It duly arrived and was cut up and dished out for us...good service.

My OH and myself are booked on Queen Elizabeth for her Maiden New England and Canada trip, Sept 12 2011, its for our 30th Wedding Anniversary, we have been told by our TA that we are one day over for the Anniversary package, our Anniversary is July 11th, the TA told me Cunard were very strict about dates and no way would they make any concessions. Ah well sa la vie. All you Cunarders out there have fabulous voyages.

:D

We are travelling on a cunard cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. However we got married in December and the Norweign Fjords cruise that we have always dreamed of doing does not operate in the winter months so we are unable to meet the 2 months rule. Therefore we have been advised that it will be at Cunards discretion.

We have sent in our marriage certificate and a letter explaining why we dont meet the criteria but we will just have to keep our fingers crossed.

I think the 2 month rule is a bit harsh. Not everyone can travel in this timescale or it may not be available for the cruise destination of their choice.

May i suggest that you go to see the Pursar asap, I am sure they will do something for you,maybe a celebration in the commodore club lol, where you and your spireite friends and friends of friends canattend

May i suggest that you go to see the Pursar asap, I am sure they will do something for you,maybe a celebration in the commodore club lol, where you and your spireite friends and friends of friends canattend

that sounds a good plan Rob, any excuse for a party in my view. Perhaps we could try some of the troll related party games we have discussed on our roll-call .

We celebrated our anniversary both last year and this year on the QM2. Neither time did they ask for our wedding certificate. I just called it in to Cunard. They wanted to know which day on the voyage we would be celebrating as the actual date was not during the TA. I had the certificate ready in case they wanted it. But they never asked.

:(

Hi, I'm having the same problem. We're going on our first every cruise in Jan for our honeymoon. I send off my marriage certificate yesterday and have just been told we won't get any of the brochure benefits as we used a net fare. How mean is this! I used Virgin holidays so I have no idea what fares they might use, I certainly didn't book it over the internet.

I know its only a few little perks but I'm so disapointed as the OH really wanted the congratulations card from the captain. How do I tell him he's not going to get it?

Do you think there's any point in moaning to them or Virgin?

Claire

Hi, I'm having the same problem. We're going on our first every cruise in Jan for our honeymoon. I send off my marriage certificate yesterday and have just been told we won't get any of the brochure benefits as we used a net fare. How mean is this! I used Virgin holidays so I have no idea what fares they might use, I certainly didn't book it over the internet.

I know its only a few little perks but I'm so disapointed as the OH really wanted the congratulations card from the captain. How do I tell him he's not going to get it?

Claire

Maybe it's because it's your honeymoon and not an actual anniversary?

Claire

How mean to not let you have those few benefits to celebrate your wedding.

When we were on board for our silver wedding our tablemates arranged a surprise for us on our last evening because even though we had got the card etc our actual anniversary date was 6 weeks away.

At the end of our meal our waiters came over with a lovely cake for us and started signing to us. It was a little embarassing but very nice of them to do it. We all then shared the cake for our dessert.

Maybe you could arrange some thing like that for your husband. If you have a word with your waiters I'm sure they would happily arrange this for you.

Catherine

Archived