Penn Station.... Info

donh1

Enttours offered bus transportation to the NY pier. However, it leaves from Braintree. Could you tell us where you will be spending the night before the cruise? Are you actually staying in Boston or one of the suburbs? That will affect the options available to you.

Your cruise leaves at 4 pm, so the drop dead time for checking in is 3 pm. You should have plenty of time to get to NY from Boston if you leave between 6-7 am. If it were me, I would save the money and take Megabus. I like the train, but the price difference is so extreme that I can't justify it. I also believe that the traffic won't be so bad early Sunday morning in the middle of Labor Day Weekend.

I see that the 6:40 Amtrak train is only $49. That's not such a bad deal. I'm used to seeing fares in the $100 range because I usually travel peak periods. So Amtrak is a bit more expensive, but not totally outrageous.

There is no border crossing involved (well National Border that is). Train 280 from Canada losses its time crossing the border. In addtion it takes a total different route than a train from Boston.

Keep in mind as a backup intermeadite stops (New London, New Haven) also are served by bus (Greyhound) so if for unforseen reason (wires down) you could catch a bus as a backup pan.

I think you will be fine.

You'll love the view of the city when your cross the Hell Gate Bridge (right side).

We don't have hotel reservations yet in Boston. We were waiting to see what transportation we had to NYC and then try to book a hotel within a reasonable distance from the pick up spot. We are moving our daughter into a dorm at Northeastern U and will have a car for a portion of our visit to Boston. Our plan is to drop the car off at Logan Saturday night and take a cab to our transportation Sunday morning from our hotel.

I received a reply from entertainment tours and they do not do one way rides, so it would be $100 to drive to the pier with them.

So you would feel comfortable taking the first bus(around 6 or 7am) and expect an ontime arrival into NYC?

If you had to make it to a cruise ship on the 5th of September, would you take Amtrak or Greyhound/Peter Pan/ Megabus?

Thanks again, you have been most helpful!

IMO your problem is your Boston hotel, not getting to NY. Rooms are expensive and that's a back to school/holiday weekend. You need to address getting a hotel reservation immediately. If the Hilton is still on Hotwire, I'd grab it. You'll pay a lot more money to be just a few minutes closer to South Station.

As I said before, I'd save the money and take Megabus at 6:30 am. There are no guarantees that either the bus or train will arrive exactly on time so you need to travel early to have a cushion of time to accommodate being late. Money aside, I think either the early train or bus would be fine.

So you would feel comfortable taking the first bus(around 6 or 7am) and expect an ontime arrival into NYC?

No matter how you travel, be it bus, train, air, auto, there's always a possibility that there will be unexpected delay. For the journey between Boston and New York, a delay more than one hour would be unusual for any of the available choices. Presumably you're looking at a drop dead time of around 3:00 p.m. at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal; I would not worry about a departure as early as 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. getting delayed to such an extent that you miss the vessel's final boarding call.

If you had to make it to a cruise ship on the 5th of September, would you take Amtrak or Greyhound/Peter Pan/ Megabus?

Money being no object ($$$) I would take Amtrak's Acela service first class. Money being of some importance ($$), I would take Limoliner. Money being of great importance ($) I would take BoltBus or Megabus (but I would also check Peter Pan Bus Lines and Greyhound Lines as well). In the bottom rung I would order the quality of service as follows: best is a tie between Peter Pan Bus Lines and BoltBus, next best is MegaBus, least best is Greyhound Lines.

Thank you to all for your advice and help. I had no idea that motor coach transportation could be so inexpensive! We have decided to take the Peter Pan bus at 7am that morning. We will have golf clubs and two large suitcases with us. The option to carry our own bags was appealing as a time saver.

As much as I would like to take Amtrak, their on time arrival record is spotty. We will be visiting the Boston area for the next five years while my daughter is in college and at some point we will take Amtrak to New York when we do not have a ship to catch.

We will be visiting the Boston area for the next five years while my daughter is in college and at some point we will take Amtrak to New York when we do not have a ship to catch.

Little off topic but my Uncle lives in Boston and my cosuin went to NYU. He would use Amtrak for his numerous vists because they have a frequent "flyer" program. They also run specials like two trips get third free as well. Keep it in mind for the next four years :D

You mean Amtrak rewards I've had that card for years since they started the program. Pays for itself for my travels. I have lots of friends in Philly, Boston,Baltimore & DC. Amtrak is my favorite mode of transport. I hate flying necessary evil for me.

-okay back to regularly scheduled topic:D

Thank you to all for your advice and help. I had no idea that motor coach transportation could be so inexpensive! We have decided to take the Peter Pan bus at 7am that morning. We will have golf clubs and two large suitcases with us.

In the northeast bus travel is very competitive, and the prices and service reflect that competition. With Peter Pan you may want to spend the extra $5 for a reservation. Otherwise seating is first come, first served, up to the capacity of the coach.

Also, be aware of baggage restrictions. Baggage is limited to 50 lbs. per piece (dimensions are not important); overweight bags are $25-35 extra. You can store one piece per ticket under the coach for free, and take another smaller 25-lbs. piece on board for free. An additional piece is $10. Many times baggage restrictions are not strictly enforced, especially in the northeast where baggage is not checked (everyone simply places their own bags under the coach upon boarding, and there are no "tags" for the bags).

Archived