Penn Station.... Info

donh1

Thinking of taking the Carnival Glory out of Manhattan. Trying to do this trip as a very inexpensive getaway. Going to take the AMTRAK from Syracuse to New York and it shows an arrival time of 12:30 PM. First question is do we have enough time built in to get from the train station ( Penn Station ) to the pier and if so roughly how much is the cab. Our travel day will be a Saturday. Also anyone have an opinion on the train arriving reasonably on time.....

you must be checked in 2 hours before sailing...

IMO this is cutting it too close as amtrak is not always timely...in fact they fouled me up badly last week and i had to change flights and airports from a local train...

it isnt that big a distance, maybe a 10-15$$ cab ride...but if you're train is really late you are SOL...

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the train from Syracuse on the day of the cruise - It originates in Niagara Falls and if it is running late you will miss your cruise.

What was your overall plan? Did it involve leaving home in the middle of the night or staying in a motel somewhere?

Yankee trails has a bus from Rennselaer directly to the pier for $85/pp. Folks have driven there and stayed in an inexpensive hotel before getting on the bus at 7 am.

This thread makes me think similarly about our train ride to NYC from Charlottesville VA on the 10th. We're coming up that day but we cruise on the 12th so granted, that's enough time - but I hate to think we'd get in later than 5pm as scheduled as we want to see some of the sights of the city before crashing to bed that night.

So Amtrak trains - generally they run late, like flights do? I wonder what the excuse is for a late train?

Going to take the AMTRAK from Syracuse to New York and it shows an arrival time of 12:30 PM. First question is do we have enough time built in to get from the train station ( Penn Station ) to the * * * Our travel day will be a Saturday. Also anyone have an opinion on the train arriving reasonably on time.

I checked the on-time performance for train 280 for the past week. Its arrival into New York has varied from being 5 minutes early to 58 minutes late. Another poster noted that trains from Canada are oftentimes delayed at the border, but that concern is not relevant here since the train begins its journey in Niagara Falls, N.Y. I think it is reasonable to plan on this train arriving by 2:00 p.m. Penn Station by taxi is only about 10 minutes away from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, so unless the vessel has an early departure you will probably be O.K.

But there is the possibility you could miss the vessel's departure (this is true no matter early you are scheduled to arrive--even the day before--if your travel plan is disrupted and "Plan B" cannot be arranged). If you want to protect yourself consider an earlier departure. While there are no earlier Amtrak departures, there is Greyhound Lines departure from Syracuse (the same station as Amtrak) at 6:15 a.m., and after one stop in Binghamton, arriving in New York at 11:00 a.m. The Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York is slightly closer to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than is Penn Station.

So Amtrak trains - generally they run late, like flights do? I wonder what the excuse is for a late train?

It depends. Shorter distance trains, especially those operating on Amtrak routes, generally operate on-time, and only extraordinary circumstances (such as downed power lines) delay them significantly. On the other hand, long-distance trains that operate on freight railroad routes are often-times delayed. But even there delays are more common on some routes than others, based on the degree of double tracking, dispatching, and prioritization. For example, trains 3 and 4 are usually pretty good for timekeeping between Chicago and Los Angeles, while trains 1 and 2 are terrible between New Orleans and Los Angeles. Medium-distance trains can be delayed as well, though the degree of delay is usually not as great as with long-distance trains.

I usually assume near on-time performance for short distance, arrival within 1 hour of schedule for medium-distance trains, and arrival within a few hours of schedule for long distance trains.

Usually the cause for delay is traffic congestion, especially where these is only a single track with passing sidings. Sometimes there's equipment failure, but this is not very common.

Amtrak also tends to share its rails with other companies, for example in NJ, it shares it with NJ Transit, so NJT messing up can mess up amtrak as well. Obviously it wont mess up your particular train, but if it shares any tracks with say, Metro North or Long Island Railroad, you might end up in similar predicaments.

Just food for thought. I can count on 1 hand the number of times there WASN'T a delayed train listed on the Amtrak board in Penn Station. Pad it by a few hours and be happy if it's on time :-)

Amtrak trains on time? At least on northeast corridor they aren't. Always a delay of some sort in NJ or in New Haven, CT. Amtrak for me preferred mode of transportation over flying or greyhound any day.(I like trains)

okay back to topic... Anywhere I cruise I always arrive a day or two ahead of time, it helps my body to relax not feel rushed, and if there any delays I'm not having a spaz because I may not make the ship. And you can enjoy NYC for a few hours or days.

Alrana

I have taken Amtrak a few times on this same line to NYC> In NO WAY would I ever take this the same day of a cruise. I have been up to 6 HOURS delayed, and there is NO guarantee with Amtrak.

I now, always drive to Poughkeepsi and park there for $25 week, take Metro north- $28 round trip to Grand Central. Take the 42 bus, $2.25 (coin) to Circle line and walk the few blocks to the ship. A cab would be in the $10+ range.

I have never once had an Amtrak train I have taken been on time. I have been delayed anywhere from minutes to HOURS. In April my train broke down in CT, and I was delayed almost 3 hours. That train had been headed to Penn station for me to pick up the 91. I wouldn't cut it that close.

I hope no one minds me asking a follow up question on this thread. We are leaving on the Glory on the 17th (Saturday). We are taking the train from Delaware to NY scheduled to arrive at 11:43 AM. We have to be checked onto the ship by 3PM. I see one person posted that the trip from the train station (Penn Station) to the port is only 10-15 minutes is that a legitimate time to count on (esp on a Saturday and with all the other traffic into and out of the port)? I'm really nervous after reading this thread that I could miss the ship. I looked at our train (152) for the last week and it routinely arrive 10-15 minutes late so I'd be in by noon if that holds true. Should I look to get an earlier train? I don't have the option of leaving on Friday and staying over, I have to leave on Saturday morning.

Does anyone know if there are other ships leaving from that port on the 17th that would really impact traffic?

As a sugggestion, my GF and I live in Buffalo, NY We take the train to Albany spend the night (you can get a room for $100 and they will pick you up and take you to the train station the next morning) We leave the next morning at 8am and arrive in NYC around 10:30. There are trains leaving from Albany about every 2 hours The next train is a 10a train which gets you into NYC around 12:30pm which I am a little leary of since we took the 8am train and was stuck near Penn Station for about 1/2 hour. From Penn it is a $10 cab ride and you are refreshed to begin your cruise

I hope no one minds me asking a follow up question on this thread. We are leaving on the Glory on the 17th (Saturday). We are taking the train from Delaware to NY scheduled to arrive at 11:43 AM. We have to be checked onto the ship by 3PM. I see one person posted that the trip from the train station (Penn Station) to the port is only 10-15 minutes is that a legitimate time to count on (esp on a Saturday and with all the other traffic into and out of the port)? I'm really nervous after reading this thread that I could miss the ship. I looked at our train (152) for the last week and it routinely arrive 10-15 minutes late so I'd be in by noon if that holds true. Should I look to get an earlier train? I don't have the option of leaving on Friday and staying over, I have to leave on Saturday morning.

Does anyone know if there are other ships leaving from that port on the 17th that would really impact traffic?

Yep, I would definately get the earliest train available.

I take Amtrak all the time between NYC and Schenectady, have done so a couple of times per year for the past 25 years. There is no way on this earth I'd take the train the same day as my cruise. Nope. Amtrak is so regularly late, from a mere thirty minutes, to several hours, that I am shocked when it's on time.

ETA: In hindsight, I might take the train the same day if I had absolutely no other choice, but I wouldn't take one that is scheduled to arrive at 12:30. I would take the earliest possible if available.

Glad to hear you changed your plans, Train 280 has some horror stories at the border crossing. People forget now what they need to cross the border. I've heard one story from my friend who travels monthly of a two hour delay and even removing people from the train when being inspected.

Okay, now I am very nervous. We are planning on traveling by Amtrak from Boston to Penn Station to board the Veendam on Sunday, Sept 5. The train (NE Regional) leaves at 6:40am and is scheduled to arrive at 10:50 am. It sounds as if the Manhattan pier is close enough for a quick cab ride. What is everyone's thoughts and/ or experiences with this route?

Can you explain to me what bus line? We are from far west Texas and a little unfamiliar with public transportation options on the East Coast. We are dropping our child off at college in Boston and are planning an "empty nest" cruise! We have also thought about taking the last train from Boston which arrives at Penn Station about 2:30am, but that leaves us a few hours looking for a place to rest our heads. Thanks for any input!

Bus transportation between Boston and New York is very competitive and there are actually multiple choices. Some buses go between the Boston bus station at South Station to Port Authority Bus Station in Manhattan. Other buses pick you up on street corners in Boston and leave you on street corners in New York.

Since you are not from the area I would recommend not picking the cheapest company unless it is some sort of super special. Greyhound and Peter Pan run what seems to be a joint service from South Station - their earliest bus is 7 am. and takes you to Port Authority in NY. Megabus also leaves from South Station - their earliest bus is 6:30 am and they leave you at 28th & 7th Ave in NY, which is right near Penn Station.

IMO if you choose to take the bus, I would make the effort to get the earliest possible bus. By midday traffic may start to build up in NYC. However, it is the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, so it might not be so bad.

Where are you staying in Boston? I'm seeing a good deal on Hotwire - The Back Bay Hilton for $119 ($140 w/tax) for 9/5. This is a quick 10 min cab ride to the bus station.

Sunday morning express bus schedules from Boston to New York (departing South Station except where noted), travel time is generally 4 hours 20 minutes. The most comfortable service, albeit the most expensive, would be to go on Limoliner. In addition, Limoliner begins its journey at the Hilton at Back Bay, so if you were to take the earlier advice to stay there this might well be the most convenient service to uses. Also, tickets on Greyhound Lines and Peter Pan Bus Lines are interchangable, but tickets for other carriers are not.

BoltBus (to 8 Av & 34 St near Penn Station)

http://www.boltbus.com

7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, 11:30

Boston Deluxe (from 177 Huntington Av, Back Bay; to B'way & 32 St)

http://www.bostondeluxe.com

9:30

Fung Wah Transportation (to Canal St & Bowery, Chinatown)

http://www.fungwahbus.com

6:30, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00

Greyhound Lines (to Port Authority)

http://www.greyhound.com

8:00, 9:00, 10:00

Limoliner (from 40 Dalton St, Back Bay; to 6 Av & 53 St)

http://www.limoliner.com

6:00, 8:00, 10:30

Lucky Star (to Chrystie St & Hester St, Chinatown)

http://www.luckystarbus.com

6:30, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00

MegaBus (to 7 Av & 28 St near Penn Station)

http://www.megabus.com

6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30

Peter Pan Bus Lines (to Port Authority)

http://www.peterpanbus.com

7:00, 11:00

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate the wealth of information in your posts. In your opinion, what is the most reliable mode of transportation and reliable carrier for travel on the day of a cruise departure from Boston to the Manhattan pier?

Do buses have late arrivals times on a regular basis? We had it set in our mind that we would travel by Amtrak not realizing that their ontime performance varies widely. Flying is out as we don't want to risk our luggage not arriving with us.

Has anyone tried the Homeport bus through entertainment tours?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me....:)

Archived