Need recommendations for a beach day

astridwilson

We are also in port from noon until 7:00 pm. Does anyone know if the resort day passes still require you to leave at 5:00? I know it used to be that way. I'm thinking that by the time we get off the ship and get there, it will be 1:00 and wondering if it is worth it for 4 hours.

You didn't mention which resort, but yes, except for the summer months with longer days, most resorts start stacking chairs and lifeguards go off duty at 5pm. I'm pretty sure than Sheraton closes at 6. But I'm not 100% sure

Scubagirrl -- I've been reading through this thread, and I have decided to go to the Sheraton for the day while in nassau. Your advice has been so helpful! Once I get to the Sheraton, do you know where I go to get the day pass?

Enter thru the front doors and go to the check in desk.

You didn't mention which resort, but yes, except for the summer months with longer days, most resorts start stacking chairs and lifeguards go off duty at 5pm. I'm pretty sure than Sheraton closes at 6. But I'm not 100% sure

I hadn't picked a particular port, just wondering in general. Guess the better option is just to taxi to the beach and taxi back.

thanks for clarifying Tikib.. I should change that signature so it's not so confusing.

As for the post.. you are right on.. seahorse and flying cloud would be my choice.

Thanks Scubagirrl. We're going to be docking in Nassau and Freeport from 7 - 4 each day. I want to spend the day at the beach in one and sail/snorkel in the other. I need help deciding which would the better beach....following are my thoughts, please advise. Would you spend the beach day in Nassau or Freeport? Thanks so much for all of your advice.

Nassau: Sheraron on Cable Beach and lunch somewhere. Transportation by jitney bus.

Freeport: Reef Village on Our Lacaya and lunch at Billy Joe's Conch Shack. Transportation by cab.

There are a couple of really great snorkel and sail options in Nassau.

Seahorse is one, and Flying cloud is the other.

www.seahorsesailingadventures.com and www.flyingcloud.info

We have done both. Seahorse is a little more crowded, but both have great crews and terrific snorkeling.

We did Seahorse snorkeling one time, and a little more crowded was an understatement. It was herd snorkelling and almost impossible to get away from people. As a matter of fact I got kicked on more than one occasion by others snorkeling. It was not a pleasant experience. Way too crowded for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, scubagirl, our cruise is still 11 months away. Our time in Nassau is very limited, docked 7am until 1pm. Can we do a beach day and then back to the port to look throught the straw market for a while? Any suggestions appreciated, madmarti:confused:

Hey, scubagirl, our cruise is still 11 months away. Our time in Nassau is very limited, docked 7am until 1pm. Can we do a beach day and then back to the port to look throught the straw market for a while? Any suggestions appreciated, madmarti:confused:

That's really a short day. Perhaps a couple of hours at the beach and a quick run thru the straw market, but it would be rushed.

Beaches and or/ hotels don't open until 9, and neither does the straw market.. so you really have only from 9am - 12ish.. then back to the ship.

Maybe a quick beach day at Junkanoo Beach.. just outside of town, and then the straw market before you head back to the ship.

Even though the beaches are technically "open" earlier, we have vagrants /homeless that sleep on the beaches and near the concessions/ bathrooms etc.. so you really don't want to go too early.

Thanks Scubagirl, that is really disappointing. They really dock early, maybe we won't do the beach, unless the ship comes up with an excursion. We could roam the straw market and then go back to the ship to sit by the pool. Oh well, we have some time to see what develops. Thanks for your opinion, it really counts. madmarti:)

Thanks Scubagirl, that is really disappointing. They really dock early, maybe we won't do the beach, unless the ship comes up with an excursion. We could roam the straw market and then go back to the ship to sit by the pool. Oh well, we have some time to see what develops. Thanks for your opinion, it really counts. madmarti:)

The ship will likely do an excursion to Blackbeards Cay .. which would leave around 8am.. but you wouldn't have time for add'l shopping when you get back. (there are sourvenier shops, jewelry etc at blackbeards).

• 2 weeks later...

The info on the threads points to Sheraton Day pass at Cable Beach with a ride on the #10 Jitney being a good choice for a family.

I've also heard of booking directly with Blackbeard's Cay for the beach break. You get a 25 jminute boat ride to the cay from the Prince George wharf to Paradise Island. There is kayaking, beach volleyball and basketball or just chairs. An outdoor grill for $. $20 per adult, $15 if under 12. Wondering if this sounds better than Sheraton.

Do you know if the #Jitney goes to the Prince George wharf?

The info on the threads points to Sheraton Day pass at Cable Beach with a ride on the #10 Jitney being a good choice for a family.

I've also heard of booking directly with Blackbeard's Cay for the beach break. You get a 25 jminute boat ride to the cay from the Prince George wharf to Paradise Island. There is kayaking, beach volleyball and basketball or just chairs. An outdoor grill for $. $20 per adult, $15 if under 12. Wondering if this sounds better than Sheraton.

Do you know if the #Jitney goes to the Prince George wharf?

Prince george wharf is just outside the port exit.. make a right.. go 50 feet.. you are there.

the sheraton at cable beach how is the snorkling there...just need something OK nothin TREMOUNDOUSLY FANTASTIC...just hubby is missing his beach day in Cozumel and i wanted to go somewhere he could just 'play around':)

Last time we were there in May the snorkeling was very good. Looking forward to returning.

Capt Jay.....Please help me decide....we will be porting in Freeport and Nassau in September. I want to hang out on the beach in one and sail/snorkel in the other. Following is where my research has suggested for beach spots. Please let me know your thoughts on which beach is better. Then I'll try to find a decent sail & snorkel trip for the other port. Thanks!

Nassau: Sheraron on Cable Beach and lunch somewhere. Transportation by jitney bus.

Freeport: Reef Village on Our Lacaya and lunch at Billy Joe's Conch Shack. Transportation by cab.

We have been to Nassau and Freeport several times. If I were you, I would do the beach in Freeport at Our Lucaya and snorkel in Nassau. I don't know how much time you have but I would check out Stuart Cove for snorkel trips. We have done both the Flying Cloud and Stuart Cove and for snorkeling we much prefer Stuart Cove. He runs a serious dive and snorkel operation and the trip is primarily for snorkeling. The Flying Cloudid more of a sailing excursion with some time for snorkel.

We have been to Nassau and Freeport several times. If I were you, I would do the beach in Freeport at Our Lucaya and snorkel in Nassau. I don't know how much time you have but I would check out Stuart Cove for snorkel trips. We have done both the Flying Cloud and Stuart Cove and for snorkeling we much prefer Stuart Cove. He runs a serious dive and snorkel operation and the trip is primarily for snorkeling. The Flying Cloudid more of a sailing excursion with some time for snorkel.

I'm so happy that you said to go with Our Lacaya for the beach day because we made reservations with 'Barefoot Cruises' to do a sail / snorkel / and beach thing on Rose Island Beach in Nassau. Then planning to spend our day in Freeport at Reef Village on Our Lacaya. Have you heard anything about these and do you have any suggestions for where to eat while at Our Lacaya?

Your information is greatly appreciated.

There are lots of places to eat at Our Lucaya. There are restaurants at the hotels and in the Market Place across the street from the hotels. There all kinds of shops as well in the Market place and food is probably more reasonable there than at the hotels but since I have never eaten at the hotels I really can't compare. The boat trips to Rose Island are a lot of fun but if you are looking for serious snorkeling including the opportunity to feed the sharks, go with Stuart Cove in Nassau.

Have a good cruise.

Can someone tell me EXACTLY how ot walk to Junkanoo beach from the cruise ship terminal in Nassau? Feel free to be ridiculously detailed & specific. How long is the walk? Will we be hassled the entire walk for shopping, taxi, etc.?

Come out of the port exit. Go to the right. Walk about 5 short blocks along Woodes Rogers walk to Senor Frogs. make a left and go around the building (british colonial hilton) , following the sidewalk. Past the British Colonial Hilton, past the parking lot next to the hilton and around the corner. Still following the sidewalk. In about 10 - 15 minutes.. depending on your stroll, you'll arrive at Junkanoo beach. You can't miss it.

On the map. The Hilton is #22 and the Beach is #29,

You're arriving at the Prince George Wharf.

dtn.gif

yes,.. I'm in nassau..

scubagirl, i am traveling with some people that dont have a lot of spending money on extras, but i want to go somewhere with a nice beach, food, drinks and bathroom. I dont see any of the sheraton passed being sold via rcl. Can you please help and give suggestions. We embark on the 30th of this month.

Archived