Is the Summit really as worn out as some say it is?

marcaroh

Sailing on the Summit out of San Juan Dec 11 - 18, 2010. My wife and I have been on Royal Caribbean before, but not Celebrity so we thought we'd give them a try. But I've been reading reviews about the Summit and many refer to the the ship being rather worn (stains on the furniture, sticky chairs in the buffet, areas in need of paints, broken deck chairs, etc...). Can anyone tell me if this is true and to what extent? The RCI ships we have been on (Radiance and Enchantment) were beautiful, very clean and in great shape. Are we going to be disappointed with the Summit?

Also any advice in terms of Royal Caribbean vs. Celebrity would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Bassman

If you are lookng for a lot of flaws and wear, you won't find them.

The traditional look of the ship is beautiful. Still one of our favorites.

You will find the service and food better on X, as most do.

Sailed Summit to Bermuda 6/13-6/20. Saw all negative posts and was worried. One of the most enjoyable cruises I have taken. Crew went out of their way to make everything great. Loved the food. Wait staff in dining room and waterfall cafe were fantastic. Our cabin attendant, Anthony was better than when I sailed concierge on Century in January. Husband loved t-pool. Don't miss it. Each evening we went to Cova Cafe. Had string quartet one night, a guitarist and a small trio entertained us on different evenings. Loved the tappas bar--included in the cost of the cruise. Wine sommelier was the best ever. Enjoy.....

Nope, its not. Sailed her twice this year and both cruises were

were wonderful:)

Of course, this is just one person's opinion. Others may feel she is old, outdated and in need

of tlc.

Seems Summit is being bashed this year. But there are many of us who

have enjoyed our cruises:D....so I guess you need to go with how you

feel.

When you ask what is true? I think we all look at things differently.

I would book her again and will probably do so in the beginning of 2011.:)

Sailed June 20th. Food and service were excellent. The public areas have been updated and are modern. There is wear and tear but nothing of concern. The T pool had a fair amount of staining. I did not get in. The main pool area and spa were very clean. We were in 9160 Concierge Class. The room was clean but dated. No flat screen tv. The veranda was huge. Carpet in cabin and hallways to cabins was dated and needed to be replaced. Carpets in public areas were more modern. The ship is going on 10 years old. The Waterfall Cafe area could have been kept cleaner. I felt the food areas were clean, however the tile flooring was almost always dirty and items were often on the floor. I post this taking into consideration that 2000 passengers are on board. We got a great deal and had a great time. I might have been disappointed if I had paid a premium price equal to that of sailing on a brand new ship such on the same iterniary. However, no new ships seem to be sailing to Bermuda, at this time.

We have been on the Summit for the last two March spring breaks and we are going again in March 2011. The ship is very clean always cleaning. I would never worry about going on the Summit. Service is great as is the food.:D

With all these new ships comming out every year, I think people are much more spoiled. I sailed Summit when she came out in 2001 and then again in 2005, so I can not tell about her current condition, but I suppose it is very similar to Conni ( before Dry Dock in May) and Infinity. Millenium already got a makeover. I loved the Constellation on the last TA prior to the Dry Dock and her " Solstication" ! Important for me is that the ship is clean and I found all X- ships eceptional clean in all places.

Michael

We loved the Summit, but frankly the Millennium after her refit was a nicer ship. :)

Hi Donald:) refit? You mean a drydock?

She is not being Solstizied till 2012;)

Hi Donald:) refit? You mean a drydock?

She is not being Solstizied till 2012;)

Hi Lois. ;)

Don't get me wrong, the Summit is one of the best afloat but push-come-to-shove she's not perfect and is not in as good condition as at least one of her sister ships which we sailed on a few months before we cruised the Summit.

The Millie is a better ship. LCD TV's in all CC cabins, a window cleaning machine that's not permanently stuck obstructing balcony views, pools a bit shinier the list could go on and on...

Most of the differences are minor, but the Millie shines a bit brighter IMHO

Hi Lois. ;)

Don't get me wrong, the Summit is one of the best afloat but push-come-to-shove she's not perfect and is not in as good condition as at least one of her sister ships which we sailed on a few months before we cruised the Summit.

The Millie is a better ship. LCD TV's in all CC cabins, a window cleaning machine that's not permanently stuck obstructing balcony views, pools a bit shinier the list could go on and on...

Most of the differences are minor, but the Millie shines a bit brighter IMHO

I have not sailed Millennium since 2007 so I cannot make a comparison

but I am looking at her for January. 10 nights for wonderful prices:)

I know each of us has our own opinions:D that is what makes the world

go round and of course you know what they say about opinions;)

Anyway, hope you and Joni are doing well:)

I have not sailed Millennium since 2007 so I cannot make a comparison

but I am looking at her for January. 10 nights for wonderful prices:)

I know each of us has our own opinions:D that is what makes the world

go round and of course you know what they say about opinions;)

Anyway, hope you and Joni are doing well:)

You're in for a treat. Joni's favorite ship of all is the Millie.

We're booked on the Summit again and very much looking forward to it.

You're in for a treat. Joni's favorite ship of all is the Millie.

We're booked on the Summit again and very much looking forward to it.

You are? When are you sailing her again?

You are? When are you sailing her again?

January out of San Juan with our friends from the Yacht Club who have become big cruise ship fans. For them and their 10 year old it'll be their 8th cruise. Not bad considering "he" went on their first cruise practically kicking and dragged by the hair by his wife. Now he's the one's who's hooked. :p BTW the Millie is their favorite ship too.

Germany scores again! Yippee!

(I wonder if the World Cup is available on Celebrity ships?)

I sailed on the Summit twice this year and enjoyed both cruises. Some wear and tear with age, salt water, and the fact that 2000 different people live on board every week but nothing to be worried about. I found the claims that were made greatly exaggerated - I read the after my Feb Carribbean cruise and it was like they were on a completely different ship!

I'll be looking forward to the Millenium in December for a few reasons - now add the opportunity to compare the two ships. The Millenium and Constellation seem to have their own fans on these boards - it will be interesting to see what sets them apart.

Tom

I sailed on the Summit twice this year and enjoyed both cruises. Some wear and tear with age, salt water, and the fact that 2000 different people live on board every week but nothing to be worried about. I found the claims that were made greatly exaggerated - I read the after my Feb Carribbean cruise and it was like they were on a completely different ship!

I'll be looking forward to the Millennium in December for a few reasons - now add the opportunity to compare the two ships. The Millennium and Constellation seem to have their own fans on these boards - it will be interesting to see what sets them apart.

Tom

Hey! I have a great ida for Celebrity. :rolleyes:

Give a free cruise to any one who sails each of the "M" class ships within 12 or 18 months and posts nice things and pretty pictures on CC. :D

21exgsg.jpg

23w5emq.jpg

2yocr2w.jpg

So "X" What-do-ya-think? Admitt it... it's a great idea.

Do it

I double dog dare ya!

Millenium was the first ( and only) of the M- class ships to get a BIG makeover last year I think. Friends of mine were on the last cruise before she went into dry dock. They sail her again in late 2010. I saw pictures past dry dock and she did look fresher ( of course). I guess that´s why Milli is the last to get the Solsticeation.

Michael

Millenium was the first ( and only) of the M- class ships to get a BIG makeover last year I think. Friends of mine were on the last cruise before she went into dry dock. They sail her again in late 2010. I saw pictures past dry dock and she did look fresher ( of course). I guess that´s why Milli is the last to get the Solsticeation.

Michael

Hi Michael:) nice to see you. Are you sure she is last? For some

reason I remember reading Summit would be last. Of course I could

be totally mixed up:eek:

I sailed on the Summit on June 20-27th. I found it to be a beautiful ship. Yes, there was some rust on the balcony and a chair here or there that could be replaced; however, I thought it was a well maintained ship, and one of the cleanest I have ever sailed on.

Sailing on the Summit out of San Juan Dec 11 - 18, 2010. My wife and I have been on Royal Caribbean before, but not Celebrity so we thought we'd give them a try. But I've been reading reviews about the Summit and many refer to the the ship being rather worn (stains on the furniture, sticky chairs in the buffet, areas in need of paints, broken deck chairs, etc...). Can anyone tell me if this is true and to what extent? The RCI ships we have been on (Radiance and Enchantment) were beautiful, very clean and in great shape. Are we going to be disappointed with the Summit?

Also any advice in terms of Royal Caribbean vs. Celebrity would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Bassman

We have been on the Royal Caribbean and the Celebrity (although not the Summit yet). We enjoyed both but I think Celebrity is a bit nicer in some respects.

We had a Celebrity Suite on our Baltic cruise and are booked in a Celebrity Suite for the Dec 11th sailing. This time we booked one that is not above or below a restaurant - on the Baltic cruise we were underneath the Waterfall Cafe and the noise of the carts and chairs being scraped across the floor was annoying at times. That is our only negative.

Otherwise - Celebrity is great!

Looking forward to this Dec 11th voyage! Maybe we'll meet up on the ship.

Quick quesiton since we're looking to book on the Summit in November out of San Juan... do you guys think the suites are dated? Based on the description of the celebrity suite, it sounds like it has been redone with plasmas and such.

We're debating between the summit and carnival victory (RC Serenade won't let 3 people on the sailing for whatever reason), and the prices are virtually the same. With both ships being somewhat old, I'd assume the Summit would be far superior to the Victory. Any thoughts?

Quick quesiton since we're looking to book on the Summit in November out of San Juan... do you guys think the suites are dated? Based on the description of the celebrity suite, it sounds like it has been redone with plasmas and such.

We're debating between the summit and carnival victory (RC Serenade won't let 3 people on the sailing for whatever reason), and the prices are virtually the same. With both ships being somewhat old, I'd assume the Summit would be far superior to the Victory. Any thoughts?

The suites always had plasma TV's (at least the Celebrity Suite category)

What is dated is the decor - carpets, drapes, upholstery, etc. However, Celebrity excels at maintenance of their ships. I would take any Celebrity ship over any Carnival ship any day of the week. Carnival crams too many people into too small of an area for my taste.

Archived