Post cruise dizziness

carlywilson

Hi!

We are 1 week post-cruise from a 7-day cruise. For the past 2-3 days I have been waking up in the middle of the night with the worst feeling, it's dizziness and I swear it is almost like I am feeling ship motion while I am walking. Has anyone else felt this dizziness after a cruise? It is driving me nuts, and it's a little scary actually. :(

I think that I am land sick and need to get back on a cruise ship immediately :)

Hi!

We are 1 week post-cruise from a 7-day cruise. For the past 2-3 days I have been waking up in the middle of the night with the worst feeling, it's dizziness and I swear it is almost like I am feeling ship motion while I am walking. Has anyone else felt this dizziness after a cruise? It is driving me nuts, and it's a little scary actually. :(

I think that I am land sick and need to get back on a cruise ship immediately :)

It's quite a common malady..... Some people never experience it and for others it can last from a couple of days to over a week. I've cruised 20 times and had never experienced it until my last cruise, so go figure. Mine lasted about a week.

I think your cure is exactly what you need too :p

:DI, too, suffer this malady EVERY time I go on a cruise! The first time it happened I ended up going to the DR after about a week of swaying down the hallways at work. Now, I find that if I take Bonine for about a week afterwards, usually helps "correct" the problem. Normally I take the Bonine every other day on the ship, also, even though I am not "seasick". Just seems to help. Would much rather just get back on the ship, but you know we gotta go back to work to make some money to do that.

Thanks, I am glad to hear that I am not dying or crazy! I think I will take some Bonine before bed and see if this helps, it's a strange, strange feeling. For long-term therapy, I think another cruise will make me feel much better :)

FYI motion sickness medications do not help the symptoms. Fortunately for most people the symptoms go completely away on their own within days to a couple of weeks - without any treatment/medication. A small handful of people have severe symptoms or symptoms that persist for an extended period of time; in these cases it is prudent to consult a doctor as there are some medications (prescription) that can be helpful in severe cases.

Hi!

It's called mal debarquement (sp?). As I understand it, basically your inner ear is out of whack from being bounced around for several days and between it and your brain they are still compensating to the motion of the ship...

Hi!

Not going crazy at all. That has happened to me years ago after taking a cruise. Of course it's real noticeable when you get off the ship on land and you feel like you are still swaying back and forth. But mine stayed with me for a few days after the cruise ended as well. Then finally everything went back to normal.

Hi!

Undoubtedly the dizziness is only cruise related. However the internet is not the place to get a medical diagnosis from complete strangers. If it does not go away within a few days, personally I would consult a doctor rather than the internet. How old are you? What is your past history? What is your general health? What other meds are you taking? (Rhetorical questions only. I am not asking for diagnostic purposes.) Only a doctor can give you a definitive answer.

I am already pricing cruises for next time! I hope this goes away soon, it's funny that I am having more seasickness with my feet planted firmly on land ha. Oh definitely, if it gets worse or lasts more than a couple more nights, I am going to the doctor. I have had bouts of vertigo in the past, but this truly is not room spinning, it's more like a phantom rocking and rolling.

I don't generally have problems with motion, but each time we cruise, it takes about 2 weeks after we get off the ship for the "rockin & rollin" to stop. We do always take ginger pills as a preventative measure during the cruise, but I haven't found that it helps to continue taking them afterwards.

Needless to say, the after effects would never stop me from cruising!!:)

Archived