Island Princess D709 or C405

karenvit

Can anyone tell me which cabin is better for 3 people (1 CHILD)--am concerned that 709 might feel vibration--thanks so much

Karen

We have done several cabins in the 700's on the Island on bothCaribe and Dolphin decks. I would take 709. Its close to the aft viewing area.

No vibration that we ever felt.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We usually like Caribe deck midship, but with three in the cabin, I think a mini would be a better choice. So I agree with taking D709. That's a great location -- stairs, laundry are nearby. Little bit of a hike if you're into the buffet, but that's probably a good thing. :)

Have yet to sail on the Island or Coral. Are there differences regarding the half covered vs uncovered balconies (Dolphin v Caribe) as there are on the Emerald, Ruby, etc.....

Bob

There are differences but they're not the same kind of differences as on the other ships. The Coral and Island are more complicated in terms of what cabins have covered/uncovered balconies. There's an awesome website out there put together by a CC member, with coded deckplans and photographs, which is enormously helpful, however I don't have the website address saved on this particular computer. Maybe someone else can post it.

There are differences but they're not the same kind of differences as on the other ships. The Coral and Island are more complicated in terms of what cabins have covered/uncovered balconies. There's an awesome website out there put together by a CC member, with coded deckplans and photographs, which is enormously helpful, however I don't have the website address saved on this particular computer. Maybe someone else can post it.

I believe this is the website you're thinking about.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Craig

I made a post about this after my Island cruise to the Panama Canal a year or two ago. We were in the next to the last cabin [forget the number], a mini., on the Caribe deck. Very calm waters throughout. We had terrible vibration at night when the ship picked up speed. Now I am a Navy vet and no pussy, but it really rattled I don't see why I haven't read of anybody else complaining over the years!?

I made a post about this after my Island cruise to the Panama Canal a year or two ago. We were in the next to the last cabin [forget the number], a mini., on the Caribe deck. Very calm waters throughout. We had terrible vibration at night when the ship picked up speed. Now I am a Navy vet and no pussy, but it really rattled I don't see why I haven't read of anybody else complaining over the years!?

DW and I were in C712 on the Coral (the Island's sister) westbound through the canal in 2005 and really didn't notice the vibration. Yes, there was definitely ship motion during the first couple of days on the Pacific side but nothing that we couldn't cope with. We're in C705 on the Island eastbound through the canal this October. It'll be interesting to see if the vibration is there. I wonder if the problem was corrected in a subsequent drydock.

Craig

The balcony may not be as big as on Caribe, but the cabin (and bathroom) are bigger. We were in D707 this Spring and we were not bothered by vibrations (did notice them on a couple evenings, but not bothersome)

Oops! Can't edit title. Meant so say go for D709!

Edited by Ms. Alpha

I was going to ask a question about the balconies as we are considering a balcony one way on the Island through the Panama and an obstructed ocean view the other way. The web site was very helpful.

Has anyone been in E622 or E623.

If you were ging both ways would you change or just stay in the same cabin?

Is it too hot on the balconies in November through the canal?

Perhaps you move around the ship during the canal time?

Thanks for any info provided.

I was going to ask a question about the balconies as we are considering a balcony one way on the Island through the Panama and an obstructed ocean view the other way. The web site was very helpful.

Are you talking about a back-to-back cruise? If so, I'd probably stay in the same cabin as part of the fun of a b-2-b for me would be not having to pack up toiletries, etc., and relocate! Unless you're trying to save some money by downgrading on one leg, then it makes sense to do.

It will be hot pretty much all year round -- we went through on 27 December and it was scorching hot and humid by mid-day. There's ample shade on the Promenade Deck if you step away from the rail and some balconies should have shade (didn't have one myself so can't say for sure, and that's dependent obviously on whether you're sailing the east- or west-bound itinerary).

But, yes, you definitely do and should (really can't stress this enough!) move about the ship during the transit. The best views are from the forward viewing decks on Baja and Caribe, as well as the aft viewing areas on those decks, and you'll want to see both the approach to the locks and what happens behind you. And the view from both sides on the Promenade Deck is great, especially when there's a ship going through the channel next to you. I logged about 652 miles walking around the ship that day. Then I collapsed on a lounge chair by the pool for the remainder of the afternoon to recover! It was really awesome.

Hope this rambling helped you a little!

Yes we were thinking of saving money by only having a balcony one way but packing up does not appeal to us now so perhaps we will stay in an obstructed ocean view room and move around the ship and find lots of shade!

I have written down your idea of where to go on canal day.

Thanks again!

We sailed on the Coral westbound through the canal in the spring of 2005 and are sailing eastbound through the canal on the Island this October. It's a fantastic experience. Be sure to check out the shipboard naturalist lectures on the history of the canal and its construction.

Do move around the ship during canal time so that you see the transit from a variety of perspectives. There's a lot to see.

If we were going both ways, we'd stay in the same cabin. None of the moving stuff!

Enjoy your cruise!

Craig

• 4 years later...

Im late by 4 years but the vibration and shaking + a banging noise in C705 was awful, just off The Island~ Oct 12, 2014 (Do not book C705)