Munich to Passau

Jesterscourt

It seems there are quite a few travelers who will be arriving a few days early to spend some time in Munich. I understand trains leave about every half hour to Passau and that the ship is moored a short cab ride from the station in Passau. I also assume we will be given exact info on where the ship will be docked. Sometimes they don't know until the last minute exactly where the boat will dock unless it is a tiny town or village. We are going on Uniworld Passau to Budapest but this probably applies to other cruise lines as well. I know this has been discussed before but we could use some up-to-date information. As I have previously mentioned I wish they offered a pre-cruise package in Munich as well as Prague. We have also recently discussed our frustration at Uniworld not providing transfers from the airport to Passau to early-arriving passengers as long as they get to the airport in time; but for now we will respect their policy and hope they have a good reason for it, and we will therefore enjoy a nice train ride to the Danube!

Jesterscourt,

I can provide you with a link to Passau Habor. Unfortunately it is German only:

http://www.stadtwerke-passau.de/

Click on "Hafen" (harbor) and then "Liegestelleneinteilung" (docking areas).

Then you´ll get a list of the current week. When you scroll down you´ll find more links starting with "aktuelle Woche" (current week). Next one is "nächste Woche" (following week) and so on (up to 6 weeks).

Anyway the landing can change last minute due to river conditions or any other kind of issues.

steamboats

We took a GCT of the Rhine in March and we were scheduled to dock at one place and at the last minute we had to change places because another boat took our space. We were just a couple docks down, no big deal, but it was a last minute change.

I believe that your documents will contain contact information (ie: phone number) for the boat. You could always call the boat from the train station to confirm location...

There can be last minute changes as mentioned. One day our boat had to move after a few hours of being docked. It is not always planned. I kept the cruise director's number on hand as we always were off on our own and had to find our way back to the ship for sailing.

So the best thing is to have a calling card so you can call the cruise director or the boat to see where they are docked once you get to Passau or before leaving Munich. I think there is also an email address for the boat and you might get lucky if a staff member emails you back the night before to say where they will be docking. All in all, the cab drivers usually know where the boats dock and most of them have cell phones to call and find out.

It seems there are quite a few travelers who will be arriving a few days early to spend some time in Munich. I understand trains leave about every half hour to Passau and that the ship is moored a short cab ride from the station in Passau. I also assume we will be given exact info on where the ship will be docked. Sometimes they don't know until the last minute exactly where the boat will dock unless it is a tiny town or village. We are going on Uniworld Passau to Budapest but this probably applies to other cruise lines as well. I know this has been discussed before but we could use some up-to-date information. As I have previously mentioned I wish they offered a pre-cruise package in Munich as well as Prague. We have also recently discussed our frustration at Uniworld not providing transfers from the airport to Passau to early-arriving passengers as long as they get to the airport in time; but for now we will respect their policy and hope they have a good reason for it, and we will therefore enjoy a nice train ride to the Danube!

I think you are going to look back and be so glad you were "on your own" in Munich as opposed to a pre-cruise package. The trains are really easy to self-navagate. When we vist Munich, we park the car in a near-by town and take the train into downtown.

Of course you will spend time in the heart of Munich enjoying the Rathaus-Glockenspiel plaza. Just a few block from the plaza you can have an amasing meal at the Hofbrauhaus beer hall. ENJOY

Archived