Dining Room Displeasure

We always request a table for 4 in the MDR and have always been accomodated. I hope the instances of irritating wait staff is far and few between. We have never experienced anything of the like. The only time we experienced less than perfect MDR wait staff was the one time we sailed without the kids and requested a table for 2. They got the hint we were well seasoned cruisers but still, all their attention went to their larger tables. It was no big deal, but noticeable and not the perfect experience. As for WJ, DH and I strolled through most evenings before we went to the MDR for dinner. Last week on Explorer, we were thinking of enjoying appetizers in WJ before going to the mdr. DH checked it out while I was getting ready, no appetizers. (???) I couldnt imagine, so we went back when I was dressed, no appetizers. The first night we did the same and even 'vidalia onion tart' was there. That was the only evening, out of 9 that there were appetizers. It wasnt important to us to say anything as we were going to the DR for dinner each night. (We're also quite friendly with Marcelo, the Mgr of WJ, so we wouldnt say anything bad.)

We have noticed changes in Royal. Nothing that will stop us from cruising with them, but definitely noticeable changes. Luckily enough no changes for us in any of the Crew or staff (on Explorer) or their politeness, attentiveness and friendliness. We have always found Explorer to have the absolute best crew and staff. To the OP, dont write off the dining room and staff on any RCI just yet. I hope your experience was a fluke!!!

Last week on Explorer, we were thinking of enjoying appetizers in WJ before going to the mdr. DH checked it out while I was getting ready, no appetizers. (???) I couldnt imagine, so we went back when I was dressed, no appetizers. The first night we did the same and even 'vidalia onion tart' was there. That was the only evening, out of 9 that there were appetizers. It wasnt important to us to say anything as we were going to the DR for dinner each night. (We're also quite friendly with Marcelo, the Mgr of WJ, so we wouldnt say anything bad.)

That seems odd :confused:

Question

Don't you still have to book a time???

and-dress codes apply.

Thay's why the WJ is possibly the only my time-my term and casual dress friendly-yes, no??:confused:

I dont know about other ships, but we are just off Explorer and everyone standing in line for MTD were dressed as suggested in the compass. (I didnt take notice on formal nights tho :rolleyes:) But, for smart casual and casual, everyone looked beautifully dressed for the most part. There were a few scattered folks throughout the dining room who dressed however they wanted to, lol. Unfortunately, on a smart casual night, a young girl of 12 yrs old came in without the rest of the party of 7 (table next to us), she was wearing soccer shorts and an oversized tee shirt :eek:. I think 2 others from the party showed up. They funny thing is, our wait staff served them and got them out in like 10 minutes. Although we enjoyed having a quiet and enjoyable dinner b/c that table was loud and obnoxious and the adult women sounded like kindergarten kids on a playground, it was puzzling how the wait staff rushed them out! <~~~ as for the title of this thread, "Dining Room Displeasure", has anyone been seated next to a table of mostly adults that acted like children over dinner????????

That seems odd

marci, agreed, it was very odd....

<~~~ as for the title of this thread, "Dining Room Displeasure", has anyone been seated next to a table of mostly adults that acted like children over dinner????????

No, but a couple of times I've been seated right next to crying babies, otherwise I've been lucky.

We have been on many cruises and have had our share of dressing for dinner after a long day at the beach or touring somewhere and this year said to heck with it. We like to come and go for dinner in our shorts and have what we want when we want. So we went to the Windjammer all the nights except one. We skipped formal night also. The food isn't any better in our opinion since they have skimped on the menu over the years. The wait staff has always been very nice though and we have never felt harassed. Our cruise companions though on the other hand have given us alot of grief because we don't want to dress and meet them for dinner. Oh well, what can I say.

I had a CD chastise me for not eating in the MDR. He was absolutely rude and was incensed that I would go on a cruise and not set foot in the MDR, except to clear customs.

Apparently he didn't get the memo that it was MY cruise, and I can eat when...where...and with whom I choose.

We have had this problem the last two years... first on Mariner, then last year on Freedom

Usually when you board you go to the DR to sort out your seating etc... I go to tell them I won't be using the DR and to let others use the table or whatever, but we have had the head waiter phone our room to ask why we were not there, and messages asking if there was a problem , which really annoys me as I had already informed them when we boarded, so it was no tip for the head waiter last time, which I felt bad about but hey.... it's my choice... though I did feel guilty for the week when I shouldn't have ! We did complain to guest services and got a bowl of chocolate strawberries in our room, I would have been happy with nothing, but I suppose that was thier way of apology.

Off on Oasis in 3 weeks and I will also inform them upon boarding that I will not be using the DR, let's hope this time we are left alone !

wendy

x

This is totally uncalled for and unacceptable. The buffet is set up for dinner for a reason. There is absolutely no requirement that anyone eat in the MDR at all.

I have been on six Royal Caribbean cruises. I have missed the MDR on at least three occasions. The ship didn't sink because I missed the MDR and I wasn't called out on deck because of it.

Question

Don't you still have to book a time???

and-dress codes apply.

Thay's why the WJ is possibly the only my time-my term and casual dress friendly-yes, no??:confused:

With MTD you do not have to request a particular time, though you can. And yes, the WJ is very "my time" friendly and casual. However, it is not the only venue that this is true of. Johnny Rockets and Sorrento's is also casual 100% of the time and you can come and go as you please. Oasis and Allure may have additional casual dining venues.

Archived