Cape Liberty Traffic 7/3/10...Unusual Delays Or Is This Now The Norm?

njhorseman

I have sailed from Cape Liberty several times and have also driven family members to the port. The last time I did this prior to today was two or three years ago. As I recall, when arriving at the port between 10:30 and 11am, it never took more than a few minutes to get from the port entrance at Rt. 440 to the luggage drop off point at the terminal.

This morning I drove my son and daughter-in-law to Cape Liberty for their EOS cruise to Bermuda. We were on the grounds at 11:10am, and it took an hour and ten minutes to drive the from the entrance to the terminal, with bumper to bumper traffic from about the area of the housing development.

When I left at 12:20, based on how the line of traffic had lengthened, I estimate it would have taken at least two hours to get from the back of the traffic jam that had formed (which backed up about a half mile onto 440) to the terminal building. By that time the traffic was bumper to bumper for the entire length of peninsula.

Is this now typical of Cape Liberty traffic? We were discussing the possibility that the ship had arrived late or took a long time to be cleared by customs, causing the surprising (to us) traffic jam.

usually only if there is a blizzard....that is weird....the only time aside from winter when the traffic was that bad was in May when the ship was several hours late due to the crew member suicide--everyone showed up at once around 7 or so.....

really NOT normal.....i would say usually 30 minutes TOPS.....again, unless something wacky happens...which seems to be the case....

That is exactly how it was on our June 19th cruise. We got to the port at 10:45 and didn't drop luggage off until noon. When we left on the 24th at the same time of day there was NO line coming into the port. I assumed because the thursday sailings have people getting to the port later because they are working most of the day and the saturday sailings have people wanting to start their vacations asap.

We were on the Explorer on Saturday, 3 July. The ship was a little late getting into port and we were about an hour late getting off the ship-we were originally supposed to be in the 9:30 group, but we didn't get the word to leave until 10:30, and didn't get to the luggage area until around 10:40. We were one of the earliest groups to leave the ship.

Our limo driver said that he was in line for more than 2 hours trying to reach us-he finally picked us up about 11:45, and there were a lot of people who were waiting for their rides.

As we were waiting, you could see that people were dropping off passengers, which added to the congestion.

We were on the Explorer on Saturday, 3 July. The ship was a little late getting into port and we were about an hour late getting off the ship-we were originally supposed to be in the 9:30 group, but we didn't get the word to leave until 10:30, and didn't get to the luggage area until around 10:40. We were one of the earliest groups to leave the ship.

Our limo driver said that he was in line for more than 2 hours trying to reach us-he finally picked us up about 11:45, and there were a lot of people who were waiting for their rides.

As we were waiting, you could see that people were dropping off passengers, which added to the congestion.

Thanks for the information. It confirms what we suspected...late arrival and delayed disembarkation.

And thanks to everyone else who took the time to reply.

Archived