Dining choices for solo cruiser.

I guess this would be a question for the people who have already been on the Epic and can share their thoughts on all the dining choices. I will be traveling alone on this cruise and I want to try out several of the restaurants that suggest making reservations for. I would like to know which restaurants are more suitable for the single person? It seems as though places like Wasabi and Teppanyaki would be the ideal dining choice. What are your thoughts?

I guess this would be a question for the people who have already been on the Epic and can share their thoughts on all the dining choices. I will be traveling alone on this cruise and I want to try out several of the restaurants that suggest making reservations for. I would like to know which restaurants are more suitable for the single person? It seems as though places like Wasabi and Teppanyaki would be the ideal dining choice. What are your thoughts?

Room Service

Hey only Joking :D

We are cruising at the same time as you so you are welcome to join us any time to celebrate my 40th

EDIT: My mistake you get on the day we get off.

Sorry

I'm guessing you're looking for company at dinner?

On the TA I saw frequent mention of gatherings for solos and chances for dinner in the Freestyle Daily. I over heard people asking to be seated with other folks at dinner...

As already suggested, go to your roll call and you'll likely meet other solo travelers! On our roll call solo travelers were arranging to dine together before they ever boarded the ship!

Triphop - Are you on the Roll Call for your sailing? There may be other singles posting over there that are thinking the exact same thing as you.

And watch out for Mitsugirly ... she might bite! (just kidding Mits!! ;))

I'm guessing you're looking for company at dinner?

On the TA I saw frequent mention of gatherings for solos and chances for dinner in the Freestyle Daily. I over heard people asking to be seated with other folks at dinner...

As already suggested, go to your roll call and you'll likely meet other solo travelers! On our roll call solo travelers were arranging to dine together before they ever boarded the ship!

I think the OP is asking how to get a single seating to focus on food rather than on conversations.

I'm sailing solo on Epic on the 17th July, and no offence, but I'm not looking to dine with other people. Part of the reason I travel alone is to have some "me time". I also find I enjoy my food more whilst eating alone (I'm a really slow eater).

I've booked all the specialty restaurants, and the booking system would only let me book for a minimum party of 2, so I'm hoping I won't get slugged the cost for two people.

So triphopcooper. I'll report back on my experience when I return.

I'm sailing solo on Epic on the 17th July, and no offence, but I'm not looking to dine with other people. Part of the reason I travel alone is to have some "me time". I also find I enjoy my food more whilst eating alone (I'm a really slow eater).

I've booked all the specialty restaurants, and the booking system would only let me book for a minimum party of 2, so I'm hoping I won't get slugged the cost for two people.

When you aboard go to Guest Services and tell them they will direct you to what you need to do to make sure you pay for one only. I travel solo most of the time. This time I travel with SIL and two grand kids.

He's on our roll call. But, I don't think he's posted about dining over there yet.

And watch out for Mitsugirly ... she might bite! (just kidding Mits!! ;))

You know it girl! :D

I think the OP is asking how to get a single seating to focus on food rather than on conversations.

If so, I can understand that. I get that way sometimes too. I was just suggesting that there will be plenty of us on the 9/11 roll call that he is welcome to join. :)

A magic marker bulletin board was placed in the Studio Lounge and from what I've read people are using it to let others know where and when they'll be dining if they want company. In the past I've dined in most of the NCL Freestyle restaurants on my own and I never had a problem.

He's on our roll call. But, I don't think he's posted about dining over there yet.

If so, I can understand that. I get that way sometimes too. I was just suggesting that there will be plenty of us on the 9/11 roll call that he is welcome to join. :)

Hey mitsugirly I'm actually on the Epic the week after you so I will not be able to dine with you or anyone on your roll call. I have asked others on the September 18th roll call and we will see what happens. I like the idea of the whiteboard in the Living Room for posting dinner times and I might end up using it as well.

Hi Catnew, I'm travelling solo on the July 10th sailing. I'm also looking forward to some "me time" on this cruise and don't mind dining alone. I did find it a bit curious that that with the Epic reaching out to solo travelers (Studio cabins), that the minimum party which could book an online reservation was 2. Anyhow, not wanting to miss out on my preferred dining times in the restaurants I wanted to try, I also booked the minimum and hope that I can change the reservation to "1" once I get onboard.

Hi, I'm one of the solos from the Epic TA. We spoke to Simon the first day out about solos vs singles, and he "got it". After that every evening at 5:30 there was a solos get-together in the Studios Living Room so people could connect for dinner and whatever. There was the easel board there as well (thanks, Gert!) for messages.

I had posted a notice on my rollcall looking for other solos and set up a gmail address to get in contact, and that worked very well. I had met a couple after boarding, and then made an announcement at the Meet & Greet and the rest appeared! We arranged to meet every day at noon at the coffee bar in the Atrium to make plans...and the key was that everything was optional, so if someone didn't show up at the noon meeting that was fine too.

Hi, I'm one of the solos from the Epic TA. We spoke to Simon the first day out about solos vs singles, and he "got it". After that every evening at 5:30 there was a solos get-together in the Studios Living Room so people could connect for dinner and whatever. There was the easel board there as well (thanks, Gert!) for messages.

I had posted a notice on my rollcall looking for other solos and set up a gmail address to get in contact, and that worked very well. I had met a couple after boarding, and then made an announcement at the Meet & Greet and the rest appeared! We arranged to meet every day at noon at the coffee bar in the Atrium to make plans...and the key was that everything was optional, so if someone didn't show up at the noon meeting that was fine too.

That is really nice! And fits the true essence of Freestyle. And I'll bet you met some great people.

Absolutely did--best cruise I ever had! There ended up being 4 of us who were like a high school girls group, right down to giggling about everything--felt great! There were a few others who floated in and out, did a few things with us when they felt like it. We invited others to join us whenever we spotted someone who seemed lonely also!

My first solo cruise, but not my last one!

And the non-solo CC folks were super, too--made lots of new friends as well.

Hey mitsugirly I'm actually on the Epic the week after you so I will not be able to dine with you or anyone on your roll call. I have asked others on the September 18th roll call and we will see what happens. I like the idea of the whiteboard in the Living Room for posting dinner times and I might end up using it as well.

Oh sorry. I thought you were signed up on our 9/11 facebook and roll call at some point. Hmmmm, maybe I'm loosing my mind.

A magic marker bulletin board was placed in the Studio Lounge and from what I've read people are using it to let others know where and when they'll be dining if they want company. In the past I've dined in most of the NCL Freestyle restaurants on my own and I never had a problem.

Thanks for posting that info. I am travelling alone too but would be nice to dine with someone occasionally so I don't go completely "nuts".

Hey aren't you on the 9/11 cruise with us? There are going to be plenty of us on there and I'm sure you don't have to be dining alone if you don't want to. :D We won't bite, I promise. ;)

Come on Spring Break next year with me then! Ha ha! That was the worst part of this past Spring Break was dining alone some nights in the MDR!! :cool:

Archived