Porthole room on Triumph was rough!!

car7brg

we had 2202. so we were the VERY front room. we went to canada out of ny last june 09 where it is choppier, and of course a rainy june. one night we did hear banging, ithought some poor turtle getting hit!.. well, what else could they "hit" in the ocean lmao. well found out it was the hull breaking the waves. good for "turtle" lol

but yes, it is more rockier near the front of the ship.. just got to roll with the waves lol. glad your trip overall was good :)

So those of you that have booked those low, forward cabins......does it sound like hammers hitting the outside of the ship or is it just waves hitting? :confused:

Like very large sledge hammers smashing against the hull. Unless the sea is literally as flat as glass, you will hear the pounding all night long.

So those of you that have booked those low, forward cabins......does it sound like hammers hitting the outside of the ship or is it just waves hitting? :confused:

Sounds like a bomb exploding. Of all the porthole cabins I've stayed in, this was a first . . .

I guess everyone has a different experience. I was really worried before my last cruise on the Conquest, because I'm a very light sleeper and had booked one of the porthole cabins at the front. Other than the anchor when we got to Grand Cayman, I never heard the banging that people have talked about.

I'm hoping for a similar experience when I sail on the Glory in Feb.!

Just wanted to say that we are just off the Triumph and we felt a lot of movement in our balcony cabin. I have cruised 15 times before (twice to Alaska) and this was the most movement I have felt on a boat. It didn't make me sick but I was aware that we were moving almost all the time. It is so hard to know how big the waves are because there is no real size perspective from the boat. We loved our trip but I was wondering if the waves were big or the boat was just smaller or something so we felt more movement.

I've heard hammers in the past ?? No clue as what it was.

Just wanted to say that we are just off the Triumph and we felt a lot of movement in our balcony cabin. I have cruised 15 times before (twice to Alaska) and this was the most movement I have felt on a boat. It didn't make me sick but I was aware that we were moving almost all the time. It is so hard to know how big the waves are because there is no real size perspective from the boat. We loved our trip but I was wondering if the waves were big or the boat was just smaller or something so we felt more movement.

We just got off the Triumph on July 1 and we were in cabin 7348 which was a balcony. We felt the ship move almost all the time. We even had to leave early on elegant night because there was just too much motion in the dining room. After talking to several people aboard the ship, I realize how lucky DH and I are for not getting sick.

• 1 year later...
Me and my wife are going on triumph and were wondering if we should pick a port hole room or just get a regular interior room. This will be our first cruise.

If you want to sleep together, keep in mind that not all porthole rooms are set up for the king bed. My kids stayed in one last week and it was an upper / lower set up. However, this is a great way to enjoy an ocean view at the inside price. In fact, the kids porthole room was a little cheaper than my regular inside rate.

I had 2216 on a recent Splendor cruise and it was great, except when the anchors deployed.

Pretty much my same experience in 2216 on Triumph in December...I liked the porthole room--sort of quaint and very nautical...there were some rough days and nights at sea where you could feel the movement, including the waves crashing against the portholes...it didn't bother me, though...of course I love sleeping during a thunderstorm at night--as long as I am dry and cozy in my bed!

I think the posts in this thread are a great demonstration of how people have different tolerance levels and expectations...that's what makes the world such a vibrant place to live :)

Me and my wife are going on triumph and were wondering if we should pick a port hole room or just get a regular interior room. This will be our first cruise.

I think you will enjoy Triumph--it's a great ship...as I mentioned in the previous post, I had porthole room 2216 on Triumph in December...there were two portholes in the room, and it was actually a spacious room...the set up was the single king-sized bed with a small couch on the side...under the portholes, there is a ledge which is nice extra space to place things--I used it to display my on-board collection of towel animals :) bon voyage!

I just had a port hole room on the Glory and loved it. Sorry you had a bad experience that sounds pretty rough.:(:(

I guess that is better than a Glory Hole on the port side.

I will be on the Triumph in 2 weeks. I apologize in advance for rocking the boat and all that noise.:D

I was reading this thread and surprised that I had responded over a year ago, we came back from our porthole cabin, and we loved it so much, we booked even lower down and closer to the front to hear the waves . We loved it!

DD and I will be in room 2217 on Freedom in October. Guess we will pack earplugs, and with DD white air machine and my C-Pak machine we will be good as gold!!! This well be my first time this far forward as use to midship balconeys. Can't wait!!!

DD and I will be in room 2217 on Freedom in October. Guess we will pack earplugs, and with DD white air machine and my C-Pak machine we will be good as gold!!! This well be my first time this far forward as use to midship balconeys. Can't wait!!!

We will be packing earplugs too. Although my dad said we will still hear things even with earplugs. Lets just pray the seas are as smooth as glass and we don't get much noise. I too have only sailed mid-ship and really high as well.

Archived