bonine

I have heard that Bonine is good for sea sickness but it is not available in Australia . Is it given out on the ship (Splendour of the Seas) or do you have to buy it. If so how much does it cost?? thanks Lynee

We have gotten "Medi-meclizine" from the ship's doctor's office; it was available for free in a bin near the entrance. (meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine)

You may ask your doctor if she can prescribe meclizine 25mg for you. It may be available in Australia as a prescription antiemetic (prevents nausea). Sometimes approved uses vary so things that are available over the counter in one country may not be available for the same purpose in another.

It's Traveleeze here in the UK. If you don't want to chance getting on the ship, probably worth asking your local Pharmacist what the Australian equivalent of meclizine is.

Meclizine is the only thing that works for my severe car-sickness; it's great and with very few side effects. It's just an anti-histamine so I'd be surprised if there isn't an Australian equivalent.

Good luck!

I know they give out seasickness medicine on the ship but not sure if it is Bonine. If they sell it in the gift shop it was about $15. In the store in US it costs about $4. Wish I could mail it to you! LOL

I bought bonine on the VOS in March. $6.00

Lynee

If you will be in the States for a day or two before your cruise, Bonine is very easy to purchase. All the drug stores and any store with a pharmacy department will have it. As others have said Meclazine is the generic name. That will be cheaper than a "Brand" name like Bonine.

I have heard that Bonine is good for sea sickness but it is not available in Australia . Is it given out on the ship (Splendour of the Seas) or do you have to buy it. If so how much does it cost?? thanks Lynee

Bonine is a medicine that PREVENTS sea sickness, not cure it. Don't wait until you get sick before taking it (it probably wouldn't stay in your stomach long anyway). Best to start taking it 12-24 hours before boarding.

I don't get seasick while on the cruise, but the day after cruising I feel the effects for about a week. Does anyone have experience with taking the Bonine starting the day before cruising and continuing through the week after, even tho you don't get seasick? Just wondered if it PREVENTS the after cruise dizziness?

I don't get seasick while on the cruise, but the day after cruising I feel the effects for about a week. Does anyone have experience with taking the Bonine starting the day before cruising and continuing through the week after, even tho you don't get seasick? Just wondered if it PREVENTS the after cruise dizziness?

It might help you with that. I get the same thing but it doesn't bother me enough to take anything. If you don't get seasick, I wouldn't take it during your trip. Since it seems to bother you after, try taking it for several days once you return.

I take Bonine before I get on the airplane as it helps me with the ascent and decent nausea. I don't usually take it on the cruise, but do before we go on a water excursion where I'll be on a smaller boat. I have not tried it after the cruise, but it may help you if you feel like you're still moving. I believe it used to be prescription for pregnant women to prevent the nausea that goes along with pregnancy. As another poster said, you can find it in any drug store or pharamcy area in Target or Walmart.

It's the best thing I've found for my severe motion sickness. The patch made my vision blurry and I couldn't use that. Ginger doesn't really work much for me, but is better than nothing at all.

Lynee - I tried to by it here the other day and the phamacist ended up giving me 'travelcalm'. There are 2 types - one medicated non drowsy and the other ginger travelcalm. I got the ginger ones so cant check for the active ingredient but may end up going back and getting the medicated one. My folks swear by Kwells as well. Both brands are readily availble in Austrlian chemists.

Carly

It's Traveleeze here in the UK. If you don't want to chance getting on the ship, probably worth asking your local Pharmacist what the Australian equivalent of meclizine is.

Meclizine is the only thing that works for my severe car-sickness; it's great and with very few side effects. It's just an anti-histamine so I'd be surprised if there isn't an Australian equivalent.

Good luck!

That's interesting - I thought it was SeaLegs here in the UK.

Its always free on board from the Front Desk or down in the Medical Facility.

Comes in packets of two - they are 12-hour pills. If the Captain announces rough weather is expected, we take one before we go to bed, to help us sleep. It DOES make you drowsy, especially if you are not used to them.

Good luck!

Just did a quick google - apparently, according to a Doctor, this medication has been discontinued in Oz. I sometimes take it for a different reason. Thanks for the info on Traveleeze as sometimes SeaLegs is difficult to find.

Just did a quick google - apparently, according to a Doctor, this medication has been discontinued in Oz. I sometimes take it for a different reason. Thanks for the info on Traveleeze as sometimes SeaLegs is difficult to find.

That's a shame it's been discontinued; I find meclizine works so well for travel sickness. I think you're right; I think it is in Sea Legs as well as Traveleeze; I just tend to buy Traveleeze as it seems to work quicker - whether that's because it's a chewy pastille as opposed to a tablet that has to dissolve, I'm not sure, but Traveleeze is very speedy! :)

Archived