location of entrance to palantine hill for tickets

dsw39

Coming off the metro at the colosseum, how do we find the entrance to palantine hill to buy tickets for the three attractions rather than stand in line at the colosseum

dave

Someone posted the same question recently; here is a link to my reply with a map:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24063875&postcount=4

Search works well for commonly asked questions. ;)

Do note that the correct spelling is Palatine Hill, not Palantine Hill. "Palatine" is the root for the words we use today such as "palace" and "palatial" -- for good reason, as you'll realize if you get a chance to visit the original "palace" of the emperors here.

Someone posted the same question recently; here is a link to my reply with a map:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24063875&postcount=4

Search works well for commonly asked questions. ;)

Do note that the correct spelling is Palatine Hill, not Palantine Hill. "Palatine" is the root for the words we use today such as "palace" and "palatial" -- for good reason, as you'll realize if you get a chance to visit the original "palace" of the emperors here.

Thanks for the quick reply! We plan to visit the Colosseum and walk through Palatine Hill to Piazza Venezia. I figure 3-3.5 hrs and on to the Piazza Navona for another hour. What is the easiest way back to the Termini

Thanks

Dave

What is the easiest way back to the Termini

Thanks

Dave

Taxi is the easiest way, but if you want to take a bus, that's an option as well. In this map and photo, there is bus stop and taxi stand near the Tourist Info office (the 8 sided building) ... which is where the little orange person is standing on the map (on a street just beyond the north end of P. Navona.) The TI should be able to advise re the bus. (We took #492 from P. Navona to Termini.)

Note: The map and photo may take a few minutes to load, but once it does, the photo will be quite clear and you can read the sign that says "Tourist Information" (or the Italian version of it) as well as the Taxi sign.

Agree with the above poster that heading back to Civitavecchia from Roma S. Pietro station might be a lot easier than from Termini.

If memory doesn't fail me (LOL sometimes it does), the Palatine ticket office is on the east side of the hill, and you walk uphill to it (I don't think it is visible from the street). So it would be just west of the Colosseum, and maybe a bit south. But things are ever-changing so this ticket office may or may not still be there.

If the Colosseum will be your first stop in Rome coming from Civitavecchia, it is out of the way and time wasting to go to Termini.

Use the Roma Ostiense station, and get on the metro there.

You have two choices for metro stops - Circo Massimo or Colosseo. The Palatine ticket office is almost exactly equidistant between these two stops, so I prefer to use the first stop, Circo Massimo, and walk toward the Colosseum from there, enjoying the fabulous view of the ruins up on Palatine Hill. You'll get to the ticket office just as fast this way, and maybe a few minutes faster, but without doubling back as you do if you use the Colosseo metro stop.

Agree with the above poster that heading back to Civitavecchia from Roma S. Pietro station might be a lot easier than from Termini.

However, the train STARTS in Termini and if you get on at later stations, you are likely to have a very difficult time getting seats. Cruise passengers load these trains and standing is likely.

Cruise passengers load these trains and standing is likely.

We've taken the train between Civitavecchia and Rome in Sept & October when there were maybe 15-20 cruise passengers/employees on each train. If it's a day when there are a lot of ships in port, then the numbers would probably be much higher. The person who I had responded to though is going in November I think, when cruise traffic will probably be less.

We took the regional train back in July last year - three different ones, since the family had split up - and no one had problems getting seats on any of the afternoon trains. We all boarded at San Pietro.

Going in to Rome in the morning was more of a problem re seats. We did all get seats, but were unable to find nine in one car so we had to split into two cars.

Thanks to all of you for your responses! Does the itinerary i proposed seem doable

Thanks again

Dave

Yes ... sounds like your plans so far are: Colosseum, Palatine, Forum for 3 - 3.5 hours, a stop at P. Venezia, and then walk to P. Navona with an hour there? All together about 5 or so hours ... sounds reasonable. If you haven't been to the Trevi Fountain or Pantheon, I would suggest adding them to the list if time permits...you could decrease your time at the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum to allow time for these two extra sites.

How long are you in port for, and what time are you planning to arrive/depart Rome?

Yes ... sounds like your plans so far are: Colosseum, Palatine, Forum for 3 - 3.5 hours, a stop at P. Venezia, and then walk to P. Navona with an hour there? All together about 5 or so hours ... sounds reasonable. If you haven't been to the Trevi Fountain or Pantheon, I would suggest adding them to the list if time permits...you could decrease your time at the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum to allow time for these two extra sites.

How long are you in port for, and what time are you planning to arrive/depart Rome?

Hi Susan: Thanks for the reply! We arrive at 8am and depart at 7pm.Hoping to catch the 9:17 train and leave at 4 or 4:30 giving us 6 hrs in Rome. We were there two years ago and visited most of the main sites. This is just a relaxing revisit.

Dave

Archived