New camera advice

I have read all the "new camera" threads and thought I would throw mine in also--you all have such good advice. I'm looking for a new camera--a step up from a basic Kodak that I have. I like to take pictures of my dogs and other interesting things I find along the way. My son plays lacrosse so I want something that has a good zoom but can also capture fast moving action.:) I have looked at the following cameras..

Nikon L110

Canon SX20is

Sony HX 5

Sony hx 1

Fuji s1800

I would like to stay around $300-350. Kodak also came out with a new Z981. I would like a viewfinder but it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks. Luckily, lacrosse season isn't until the fall so I have some tiime to play with it.

I have read all the "new camera" threads and thought I would throw mine in also--you all have such good advice. I'm looking for a new camera--a step up from a basic Kodak that I have. I like to take pictures of my dogs and other interesting things I find along the way. My son plays lacrosse so I want something that has a good zoom but can also capture fast moving action.:) I have looked at the following cameras..

Nikon L110

Canon SX20is

Sony HX 5

Sony hx 1

Fuji s1800

I would like to stay around $300-350. Kodak also came out with a new Z981. I would like a viewfinder but it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks. Luckily, lacrosse season isn't until the fall so I have some tiime to play with it.

With 10 frames per second, great video and innovations like sweep panorama and twilight mode, the Sony HX1 is hard to beat for performance. It only uses Memory Stick cards, which some may see as a negative. Since SanDisk started making MS under their own brand a few years ago, the price has really come down and performance is similar to SD cards.

It can be found at the high end of your budget range with deals showing up on Amazon fairly often.

Most any of the cameras you are looking at will suffice as a general, all-around camera, but none (including the HX1) are really optimal for sports. Good, but not great.

My personal recommendation would be to choose a good superzoom and use it while you stuff the piggy bank for the DSLR you'll come to want. ;)

Sometimes the best camera for every situation is two (or three!) cameras!

Dave

I recently purchased the Canon sx20is. I have an older rebel xt, but wanted something less bulky to carry around (vs. a camera body, and multiple lenses). The image quality is really fantastic, and the zoom is great, too. The lcd flip screen is great, too. It takes 4 AA batteries, which is great b.c of the price (cheap, and affordable rechargeable replacements and convenience, but also makes the camera heavier than some others. I have charged my batteries several times (before important events), but they have never run out on me. Battery life is great. I've been very pleased with the camera so far.

2 things, though: You will probably need/want a tripod or monopod or something because it's nearly impossible to hold the camera steady (even with a fast shutter speed) when you're zoomed in 20x.

You might also end up wanting an external flash. The camera has an on-board flash, but also a hot-shoe so you can attach another one. It really makes a huge difference in flash/indoor images. It's great that the camera allows you do attach one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived