QV electrical outlet voltage

maggie3

I have tried a search and found answers for the QM and QE, but can previous travelers please specify for the QV whether the electrical voltage in the QV cabins is 110 or 240? Assuming the answer is 220 or 240, with our appliances being 110, how many pins would be on the adapter we would use, and would we need round or square?

As stated by Lesley, most of the sockets in QV cabins are 110v. which will accept the standard US plug (two flat parallel pins), either with the third (round) earth pin or not. If you are considering charging batteries etc, then it may be a good idea to bring a multi-connector strip (with a number of sockets on it).

It is also worth noting that Cunard do NOT allow hair dryers or "any other non-thermostatically controlled appliance" to be used in the cabins.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

David

Unless I missed them the only 220V sockets on the QV are Eurosockets, not the UK square pin ones.

There was definitely at least (and probably only) 1 UK socket in the 2 cabins we have had (both A4 balcony) - looking closely, I think its the 2nd from the left in SafariGals photo

There was definitely at least (and probably only) 1 UK socket in the 2 cabins we have had (both A4 balcony) - looking closely, I think its the 2nd from the left in SafariGals photo

Yes, the 2nd from the left is a UK square pin socket. The next sockets to the right are a US one and one with 3 lateral holes and it says it is 220V. If you click on the photo I think you can enlarge it.

We just loved the QV, and wish we had another trip planned on her right now!

Lesley

..So with a couple of plug adapters, it appears that you could double or triple the number of desk outlets for electronics capable of running off of Eurpoean voltage (e.g., most chargers).

Is the QM2 pretty much the same?

..So with a couple of plug adapters, it appears that you could double or triple the number of desk outlets for electronics capable of running off of Eurpoean voltage (e.g., most chargers).

Is the QM2 pretty much the same?

Due to limited space around certain of the UK 230v. sockets in the cabins, it is far prederable to take a very short extension lead i.e. UK 3-pin plug one end and four sockets the other end. If four sockets is not enough for your needs, then a 2-way or 3-way adaptor can be plugged into one of the 'extension' sockets.

Hope that this helps (and that you can understand what I am trying to say!)

Regards,

David

Dorchester - Do you know why Cunard do not allow a different hair dryer in the cabins ? The ones they have are mostly useless when it comes to styling hair. How do they enforce policy ?

I am informed that Cunard consider it an unacceptable risk to have hair dryers that continue to operate when not held in the hand, as are most domestic hair dryers. This type of dryer could be placed on a chair or other piece of furniture and continue to operate, thus presenting a fire risk. On the Cunard dryers, the switch is a spring-loaded button which must be held in the "on" position for the dryer to operate, and if the dryer is put down, it will immediately switch off.

The Cunard hair dryers are permanently wired into the back of the drawer where they are kept, which prevents the hair dryer being taken into the bathroom (water and electricity do not mix!). Their dryer has only two settings - "Low" (1000watts and slow fan) and "High" (Watts and fast fan).

I am not sure how Cunard enforce their rules regarding hair dryers, but when you enter your cabin (sorry - 'stateroom'), the safety channel is playing on your TV, and that informs you about prohibited portable electrical appliances. I would imagine that the worst that they could do would be to 'confiscate' your dryer and return it to you at the end of your voyage.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

David

• 11 months later...

I have just received the following from Cunard regarding some medical equiptment.

Please note that the electrical supply on board all the Cunard ships is 220V/110V/60Hz.

The standard electrical supply in Europe is 50Hz (cycles) and 240V. It is therefore important that you contact the manufacturer or supplier to ensure that your equipment is safe to use at 60Hz. This is to ensure that your 50Hz machine will not be damaged or its performance affected.

This won't affect simple electrical items such as hair dryers or shavers, but may affect your laptop (though most are 50/60Hz). Interestingly my mobility scooter charger is rated at 50Hz and I have had problems with that charging before. :mad:

I have just received the following from Cunard regarding some medical equiptment.

Please note that the electrical supply on board all the Cunard ships is 220V/110V/60Hz.

The standard electrical supply in Europe is 50Hz (cycles) and 240V. It is therefore important that you contact the manufacturer or supplier to ensure that your equipment is safe to use at 60Hz. This is to ensure that your 50Hz machine will not be damaged or its performance affected.

This won't affect simple electrical items such as hair dryers or shavers, but may affect your laptop (though most are 50/60Hz). Interestingly my mobility scooter charger is rated at 50Hz and I have had problems with that charging before. :mad:

I don't think it will affect a laptop, the mains supply voltage is buffered through the battery and charger and is smoothed out to DC.

Just on a side note, from memory the three pin UK sockets are close to the worktop and sometimes, using a plug with a rubber gromet it is hard to get the plugs in. If its only got battery charging etc there are usually two other sockets behind the bed where the tab;e lamps plug in. Now I have typed this I am unsure if that is on QV or QM2, I know I had to use them for the mobile phone charger

In addition to the strip of outlets behind the desk as pictured there's another unused 120V outlet on the wall behind the TV.

I know that's true on QM2, do they have that on QV (and QE) as well?

Roy

BEWARE THOUGH UK CRUISERS ...........the 240volt UK square plugs are very low and close to the desk top and will not accomodate all the new deeper moulded plugs on so many appliances like hairdryers , laptop and mobile phone charging plugs etc ...............

The USA plugs are fine and on QE this problem has been sorted out but QV engineers failed to face the issue

Archived