Itinerary - Ventura - City and Short Break

littlened

We're going on this cruise at the end of the month.

http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-2009-2010/CruiseUploadFolder/City--Short-Breaks-N019/?mode=overview&Search=true

I'm just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the excursions.

My wife and I are 30/26.

The itinerary includes;

Vigo - Spain

Lisbon - Portugal

La Rochelle - France

Brest - France

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am off on Azura on the 16th July, on a 7n cruise. We have Brest, and after doing a little research have been told BOOK A TRIP... theres nothing of interest in the industrial port. You should have one to Quimper, this has been highly recommended as a wonderful interesting french town , so I'm going there.

Lisbon - Get up early for the sail-in under the suspension bridge, really spooky at 6.30am with the traffic thundering overhead and it seems the ship just manages to go under it, some stand on the sky deck and watch as the funnel seems to scrape under it with inches to spare... There is a free shuttle bus that take you to the square and entrance to the city, also tram rides - tickets can be bought here for 2 hr trips around the city.Lots of good shops and the old elevator to see too, photos of Lisbon here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/1stCruiseCanariesOnArcadiaMay06#5113825348096492530

Vigo is a OK port, shops and a quite large city to walk around and a Marina by the docks, but if you fancy a tour here, take it,

Not been to La Rochelle.

Here are some photos I took while on Ventura just of the ship...

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VenturaWeekenderSept08#5246677551498717762

Hope this is of interest,

Sue

Vigo - quite a large town, but we went on Sunday and the only shops open were the ones by the dock and the shellfish stalls (if you like oysters this is the place for lunch).

Castle on the hill which is overshadowed by a huge derelict concrete monolith! There's a lot of redevelopment going on to reinstate the original part of the town at the base of the castle. Be careful around the castle there was evidence of drug taking and some unsavoury characters in the quieter areas.

Lisbon - brilliant, but plan your day as there's loads to see and do. Getting up early to be on deck for the approach down the river and to go under the bridge is a highlight - you have a few metres to spare, but it is close! If you want to buy anything buy it in Portugal as it's the cheapest Country you will visit.

We went to Le Verdon and not La Rochelle so can't comment.

Brest - if you don't book a trip or plan something DIY (such as the Aquarium) and decide to visit the town you may come to the same conclusion as us that getting off the ship was a waste of time. It's a far from pretty place (blame the Germans who bombed it to pieces in WWII) and very expensive.

Archived