Just back from Epic - couple of quick notes

YYC F/A

Hi everyone,

Some Quick Final Thoughts

I was actually very, very impressed with the 'single studios' and while they are very compact, the space really does work. I also love how they can be opened up to have two studios interconnect. In fact, for 2 friends travelling, I'd recommend they consider 2 studios that interconnect rather than sharing a regular stateroom. This way they get their own shower/washroom, more privacy, but can still open up the interconnecting door during daytime etc.

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. I'm glad to hear that the studio space works. We did book 2 adjoining rooms, so we will have the luxury of having an extra shower/toilet area. I did notice in a recent video that the studios have a regular door on the bathroom instead of the glass door...which is strange. I believe the sink is different too (square and it looks bigger than the round one's everyone is complaining about it splashing water everywhere).

Oh my, I haven't even boarded the ship yet and I feel like I am LOST ! :o I guess I will find out on saturday. LOL :)

I'm right there with you! I am going to be completely lost as well. I will probably wish that I had booked a 2 weeks b2b cruise. It will take me an entire week just to learn my way around. :eek:

...We did book 2 adjoining rooms, so we will have the luxury of having an extra shower/toilet area. I did notice in a recent video that the studios have a regular door on the bathroom instead of the glass door...which is strange. I believe the sink is different too (square and it looks bigger than the round one's everyone is complaining about it splashing water everywhere).

You are SO right, lol! :D

We said the same thing: Why did they put a regular door on a toilet on a cabin designed for ONE when those for two have a flimsy glass door!

And the sink - the Studio I saw had a square sink, so much better than the 'shallow oval' of an excuse for a sink I had - it literally was like turning the tap full blast on a tablespoon - it went everywhere!!!

Quick question to YYC F/A:

Did you notice whether the partitions between the balconies could be opened?

Thanks

I posted this answer a couple of times, including pics...yes....about 18" at the sea-side of the balcony dividers is hinged, and can be opened with a special allen key.

When considering a BA Aft, note that the balconies of the cabins on each end are approx. a foot wider. Not much, but noticable after seeing the other standard balconies. We had 8211 on the TA and enjoyed the easy access to the aft "emergency stairway." Along with the wonderful aft view from our balcony, it was great to only have to walk a few steps from the cabin to get a side view through the 3 big cut outs. Enjoyed the view of the QM2 coming along side of us during a beautiful sunset and the views of Manhattan on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other.

Given the chance again for an Aft BA, I would try for a higher deck. With deck 8 being the lowest cabin deck, it was a bit like being under Niagra Falls sound wise on the balcony with the prop wash (very quiet inside with the door shut). Nothing deafening, just a bit loud.

As for the bed location, ours was nearest the door. We had 3 of the largest drawers I've seen at sea across from the sofa near the balcony. I heard others mention that the drawers are not nearly as big for some reason in the other configuration. Can someone confirm that? We thought storage space overall was again the most we've seen in any standard balcony at sea. I could actually sit on the edge of the bed and brush my teeth in the sink which was kind of novel. No matter the configuration in the standard balcony cabin, walking space is tight every where.

As for the bed location, ours was nearest the door. We had 3 of the largest drawers I've seen at sea across from the sofa near the balcony. I heard others mention that the drawers are not nearly as big for some reason in the other configuration. Can someone confirm that? We thought storage space overall was again the most we've seen in any standard balcony at sea. I could actually sit on the edge of the bed and brush my teeth in the sink which was kind of novel. No matter the configuration in the standard balcony cabin, walking space is tight every where.

How can we tell where our bed is located? We have an AFT BA on deck 12 for the 9.25.10 sailing but haven't seen anything that had mockups of the inside of each room.

How can we tell where our bed is located? We have an AFT BA on deck 12 for the 9.25.10 sailing but haven't seen anything that had mockups of the inside of each room.

When you look at the deck plans on ncl.com, locate your cabin and note where the "wave" in the room swerves/bubbles out. That's where your bed is.

Thanks. Looks like we're by the door...oops.

Try and switch to one where the bed is located near the balcony if you can, it'll be worth it.

Also, while I am a big fan of aft cabins usually, I have to say that on Epic I found them underwhelming. The balcony was shallower/smaller than the regular balcony I had on the side of the ship on Deck 8. The only plus was overlooking the wake - because of the protruding lifeboats, many of the side balconies have a clear view out, but no view of the water right below.

Personally, I'd pay the small upgrade from aft balcony to Deluxe Balcony (MiniSuite as of April 2011).

The interior space of an aft balcony cabin is 151 square feet to give you an idea of how compact they are. Compared to the Deluxe/MiniSuite at 191 interior space, and that's 25% larger. Trust me that this makes a big difference!

Epic / Princess / QM2

29341110.jpg

Epic photo above - the promenade does not wraparound so they created a dual layer jogging track with arrows so that you loop around the same deck. One side of the Promenade is jogging, the other side has shuffleboard etc. and also permits smoking (the jogging side is non-smoking)

Try and switch to one where the bed is located near the balcony if you can, it'll be worth it.

Also, while I am a big fan of aft cabins usually, I have to say that on Epic I found them underwhelming. The balcony was shallower/smaller than the regular balcony I had on the side of the ship on Deck 8. The only plus was overlooking the wake - because of the protruding lifeboats, many of the side balconies have a clear view out, but no view of the water right below.

Personally, I'd pay the small upgrade from aft balcony to Deluxe Balcony (MiniSuite as of April 2011).

The interior space of an aft balcony cabin is 151 square feet to give you an idea of how compact they are. Compared to the Deluxe/MiniSuite at 191 interior space, and that's 25% larger. Trust me that this makes a big difference!

YYC F/A - I booked a D1 Family Deluxe and we have 4 people (2A/2C). Did you see any of these with the 4th bed actually pulled down? I've yet to see any pictures of a D1 for 4. Thanks!

What level would those be? I just looked online and it appears that the rear facing afts are only BE and Penthouse? We go in Sept so I am afraid we're going to have a hard time moving into a DB. Although I'm certainly no opposed. Would we be better off moving from deck 12 to 10 in order to get the different bed setup? Would the 2 decks in drop be worthwhile for the different set up?

Thanks for the extremely useful post. I'd wondered if those were stairs in the aft corners, and thought the same that two friends would be better off in a couple Studio cabins (if they don't mind giving up the balcony). Good to see I was on the right track!

When considering a BA Aft, note that the balconies of the cabins on each end are approx. a foot wider. Not much, but noticable after seeing the other standard balconies. We had 8211 on the TA and enjoyed the easy access to the aft "emergency stairway." Along with the wonderful aft view from our balcony, it was great to only have to walk a few steps from the cabin to get a side view through the 3 big cut outs. Enjoyed the view of the QM2 coming along side of us during a beautiful sunset and the views of Manhattan on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other.

Given the chance again for an Aft BA, I would try for a higher deck. With deck 8 being the lowest cabin deck, it was a bit like being under Niagra Falls sound wise on the balcony with the prop wash (very quiet inside with the door shut). Nothing deafening, just a bit loud.

I'm so glad you posted this because DS and DIL have an end aft cabin on deck 11 and from the deck plan, it did appear to be slightly wider - one foot really does make a difference! Thanks - I'll pass this on to them.

- the promenade does not wraparound so they created a dual layer jogging track with arrows so that you loop around the same deck. One side of the Promenade is jogging, the other side has shuffleboard etc. and also permits smoking (the jogging side is non-smoking)

IMO only one word for that design....stupid..:(

Yes...I used the "frown" face because there is no "smiley" that depicts someone shaking their head as that's how I really feel.

As cruiselines continue to kill-off features that some seasoned cruisers appreciate, I can see myself spending more time on land than at sea in the future.

Archived