Train from Venice to Rome

blue-noser

A trip ending in Venice, how easy is it to go to Rome via train? Is it better to book on line in advance or when in Venice? What about baggage? Baggage car or look after your own? I'm really slow, so by the numbers please....

Hi.

The trains in Italy are very good, many can be very fast, some less so, it is very easy to get to Rome from venice and you will travel through some wonderful contryside.

try the main sites for times and fares.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

if you have never tried the trains in Italy, please read seat61,s web site, it is very good and very helpful

http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

always remember to validate your ticket on the platform before you board the train, you can also collect your train ticket from the platforms as well.

Be aware that nearly all of the fast trains (that don't stop at many stations) between major cities require a reservation. Rail Europe can do this for you once you decide (via their web site or via Trenitalia's site) which train you want to take and which class you want to travel in. They will mail you your ticket and reservation. Baggage can often go on a rack at the end of each car or, if it's light enough, above your seat.

I believe that all cards except Amex is fine,its an international site and prices are often on offer, seat61 will explain how to get discounts though.

We are on QM" later this year, will vist family in Halifax, we spent sometime in Yarmouth a while back

I believe that all cards except Amex is fine,its an international site and prices are often on offer, seat61 will explain how to get discounts though.

In the experience of many US/Canadian travellers, it will not be "fine" - it seems to be the luck of the draw, but non-European cards are frequently rejected by trenitalia.

Raileurope is a booking agency, and non-European passengers are reputedly charged more than we are in the UK - I've never tried it myself, but would not presume to argue with the experience of many others.

In the experience of many US/Canadian travellers, it will not be "fine" - it seems to be the luck of the draw, but non-European cards are frequently rejected by trenitalia.

Raileurope is a booking agency, and non-European passengers are reputedly charged more than we are in the UK - I've never tried it myself, but would not presume to argue with the experience of many others.

I fully agree with you are quite correct, I have never found a problem with them however and have used them many times and my friends from the USA also-however I have given the link to seat61 who will guide them through the whole process of buying train tickets in italy, a wonderful site for any first time train travellers in italy

I just did this last year. I had a trip that began in Rome and ended in Venice and the round-trip airfare was cheaper even with the train. I know there is some confusion as to where to buy the train ticket, but as a North American you will get the best prices and customer service from RailEurope. If you choose to purchase a railPASS, this one of the only sites where you can do that. OR you can use a travelagent.

The train itself was great and just under a 4 hour trip. I kept my luggage with me and was in a first class car. The first class ticket includes newspaper service and a drink cart, much like on a plane.

BE CERTAIN of which train station you book. There are two that are considered Venice, but one is across the water. If you are going to be in Venice proper, make sure you choose Santa Lucia. This is one of the easiest train stations I have ever been in. Easy on, easy off.

I fully agree with you are quite correct, I have never found a problem with them however and have used them many times and my friends from the USA also-however I have given the link to seat61 who will guide them through the whole process of buying train tickets in italy, a wonderful site for any first time train travellers in italy

I checked with friends today and both sites will take USA and canadain cards without a problem, its worth reading the seat61 guide and yes, you may find raileurope a bit cheaper, make sure you collect your tickets from the station, raileurope charge a chunk of cash to mail tilckets.

i just noticed travelteacjers post, and yes, do make sure you use Santa Lucia station, the trains are wonderful, make sure you check the times etc, sometimes a later train arrives a lot faster , and the stations are great as well, Rome has good restaurants and a supermarket in case you have forgotten something, the subway , taxis and buses are right there as well.

have a great time in my Favorite city

I just did this last year. I had a trip that began in Rome and ended in Venice and the round-trip airfare was cheaper even with the train. I know there is some confusion as to where to buy the train ticket, but as a North American you will get the best prices and customer service from RailEurope. If you choose to purchase a railPASS, this one of the only sites where you can do that. OR you can use a travelagent.

The train itself was great and just under a 4 hour trip. I kept my luggage with me and was in a first class car. The first class ticket includes newspaper service and a drink cart, much like on a plane.

BE CERTAIN of which train station you book. There are two that are considered Venice, but one is across the water. If you are going to be in Venice proper, make sure you choose Santa Lucia. This is one of the easiest train stations I have ever been in. Easy on, easy off.

Im pleased you had a good time, great train journey and I hope a good time in the cities.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/tickets.htm

On the Web

Train tickets can be bought on the web from the Trenitalia website. Tickets are the same price as you would pay at ticket offices at the train stations. The Trenitalia website has an English-language version.

The best way to purchase tickets in advance on Intercity, Intercity plus and Eurostar Italia trains is the Ticketless service on the Trenitalia website. It works just like the ticketing system of most low-cost airlines - you don't receive a regular ticket but just a reservation code number.

During the online ticket purchase, select the "Ticketless" option. You receive an e-mail that gives you both the reservation information (train, car and seat number, and hour of departure from the station of your choice) and a code (PNR). Print the e-mail and take it with you. When boarding the train go to your reserved seat and wait for the conductor. When he arrives, show him the e-mail with the data. You will be issued a receipt that is the actual ticket.

I know there is some confusion as to where to buy the train ticket, but as a North American you will get the best prices and customer service from RailEurope. If you choose to purchase a railPASS, this one of the only sites where you can do that. OR you can use a travelagent.

Please note that RailEurope is only cheaper IF you are comparing to other consolidators. It is NOT CHEAPER than purchasing your tickets in Italy. Think of it as a premium you pay for knowing that you have tickets in hand.

Thanks that's a great website. It's been 5 years since I had to take the train from Venice S Lucia to Trento via Verona.

My one suggestion would be from my experience make sure you have enough time to get the connecting train. We were held up from Venice (at the water) going to Verona and almost missed our connection by one minute. So these trains can be cutting it close. It was never late but not enough time to get the connections when you don't know where you are going.

Always take an earlier train and enjoy your connection stop.... then your not yelling (while underground and can't see or understand where to go) to everyone where is the platform for the train to Verona. Believe me there is not enough in a translation book to get you through this when you have only 6 minutes to get to the train (down a long hall way and up about 60 flights of stairs.)

The ending to this story is that a nice man from Serbia, who understood enough English, heard me ask everyone at the door while still on the train.... could someone help us get to the Verona train. He waited for us up at the top of the stairs and when he saw the frantic look on my face (do we take these stairs) came down and got my one piece of luggage and told the conductor we were trying to catch the train that was ready to pull out. All this time my husband is clutching his chest ( I'm thinking heart). It was only his COPD. :eek:

Thank you every one for all the great info and Rob for the seat61 site. Seems to cover all the bases I will need to look at. After ships, I love train travel. Someboby said, "train travel is a civilized way to travel." or words to that effect. Thanks again Regards Roland

Thank you every one for all the great info and Rob for the seat61 site. Seems to cover all the bases I will need to look at. After ships, I love train travel. Someboby said, "train travel is a civilized way to travel." or words to that effect. Thanks again Regards Roland

It was a pleasure, and I am pleased to see that a few people who have traveled in Italy and know the sites have given you good info as well, you do need positive info when booking train tickets, seat61 is great info, takes you right through everything-let us know how you get on

Thanks that's a great website. It's been 5 years since I had to take the train from Venice S Lucia to Trento via Verona.

My one suggestion would be from my experience make sure you have enough time to get the connecting train. We were held up from Venice (at the water) going to Verona and almost missed our connection by one minute. So these trains can be cutting it close. It was never late but not enough time to get the connections when you don't know where you are going.

Always take an earlier train and enjoy your connection stop.... then your not yelling (while underground and can't see or understand where to go) to everyone where is the platform for the train to Verona. Believe me there is not enough in a translation book to get you through this when you have only 6 minutes to get to the train (down a long hall way and up about 60 flights of stairs.)

The ending to this story is that a nice man from Serbia, who understood enough English, heard me ask everyone at the door while still on the train.... could someone help us get to the Verona train. He waited for us up at the top of the stairs and when he saw the frantic look on my face (do we take these stairs) came down and got my one piece of luggage and told the conductor we were trying to catch the train that was ready to pull out. All this time my husband is clutching his chest ( I'm thinking heart). It was only his COPD. :eek:

Great advice, why not take time and enjoy that wonderul italian coffee

Archived