Passport Fee's increasing July 13

Mikel1733

Ours expire next year, but the increased fees prompted us to renew early. We mailed everything last. Someone posted a chart showing that you are better off renewing before the increase even if your passport doesn't expire for three more years.

Same here. Just mailed my renewals in minutes ago.

I thought I heard on the news that passports are now required for cruises to the caribbean? Is this true? I know they have said the change is coming for years but it keeps getting delayed.

We have friends considering a cruise with us versus an all-inclusive. They are concerned about the cost of alcohol on a cruise versus included at an AI. If the passport law hasn't gone into effect yet, they could save the passport fee which would equal the alcohol cost on the ship - maybe?

just wondering

thanks

Round Trip cruises to the Caribbean (among other destinations) still do not require passports of US citizens, although they are advised. Cruisers may continue to use certified BC and ID as they have done for many years. There are no plans to eventually require passports, this is the final rule and not just a delayed implementation plan.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

However, as I believe you noted, flying to an AI will require a passport.

Costs of booze on board, well, that can vary by the drinker. Some couples spend less than $270, some spend more, a lot more.

So My wife and I are going on the dream in October. Her passport is still in her maiden name so that is how we booked her.

If we renew her passport we have to change her name what is the fee to change the name on the cruise booking?

Thanks for your help!!!

lol...i was just about to post this but good thing i do a search before posting unlike most people on this board! :rolleyes:

i'm going to renew mine on Monday, it expires in August anyway! :D

Mine and DH are still good until 2016.

DS will be 16 in September so I will wait and get an "adult" one for him after that. It will be good for 10 years. If I renew now it will only be good for 5 years (I believe):confused:

Mine expires in Nov so was gonna renew next month anyway. They received on Monday and check was cashed on Wed.

Funny how the govt can be fast at something when they want to be. :cool:

When it comes to sucking the money out of you, they move at the speed of light!

Thanks for the heads up! Got mine in the mail today, it was set to expire during our cruise on the Dream in October. I originally was set to send it in in August, but your post got me off my behind to get it done before the increase!

So My wife and I are going on the dream in October. Her passport is still in her maiden name so that is how we booked her.

If we renew her passport we have to change her name what is the fee to change the name on the cruise booking?

Thanks for your help!!!

I seriously doubt they would charge you under those circumstances. Call and find out.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived