scopolamine patch

perlgirlnj

Has anybody ever had their doctor not be willing to prescribe the patch? My husband called his doctor for a prescription and was told that his doctor doesn't prescribe it because of all the potential side effects. DH then called his brother, who is an internist, and his brother agreed with DH's doctor. I had planned to call my daughter's pediatrician (she's 17) and my internist for the two of us and now I'm not so sure since two doctors have said we should just use dramamine instead.

Thoughts?

It depends on your medical history, age, etc. Like many prescription (and non prescription for that matter) drugs, not everyone can take these things. Everyone is different so perhaps they're basing their decisions off your husband's medical history. You should talk to your own Dr, if you trust him or her, if you're interested in having it.

It depends on your medical history, age, etc. Like many prescription (and non prescription for that matter) drugs, not everyone can take these things. Everyone is different and it seems you've had 2 doctors decide against it for whatever reason. If it were me, I'd listen to them since they have a better idea regarding your husband's medical history.

My husband is 51, healthy as an ox and takes no medications at all. In both cases, they weren't say that HE shouldn't take it; they were saying that they won't prescribe it for ANYONE. That's what I thought was interesting.

I will never wear the patch again...bluuurrred vision :eek:..is no fun..especially when you want to see...:rolleyes: Each should make their own decision..but why take the chance..use over the counter non drowsey..works great for most !!! Good luck !!!

A friend of mine had a very bad reaction to the patch. She became severely dehydrated, blood pressure skyrocketed, blurred vision, etc. She was sick for several weeks following her cruise. I am sure that some folks don't have that reaction but my doctor has told me the same thing-get something over the counter.

I was unaware of this patch until reading these boards, but having investigated further, I'm not surprised that there are physicians who would not prescribe this. After reading so many user reviews, I would never be interested in it, even if I had prior bad experiences with seasickness.

I'm putting all my faith in plain old Dramamine on our virgin cruise...for better or worse.

People, you should google these motion sickness drugs before you pop pills or use Scop patches. There are lot's of medical problems that are made worse by taking these medicines. Best to check with your doctor, but also become informed by doing a little research on your own.

Frankly, it makes no difference what anyone on a "board" think, or what their experiences are. This is a private matter, that this health care professioal has determined.
I agree...if you have questions about this, you should be asking the MD

I've used them on my last 4 cruises and never had a problem. Over the counter doesn't work for me but the patch sure does. After spending all that money on the cruise, it's no fun being stuck in your cabin seasick. It's happened to me. Then I found out about the patch.

I got patches "just in case" on our first (23 day) cruise...............and a nurse at our table told me to NOT use it..............she went into the side effects, the worst problem, she said, is vision problems.

I never did use them; the meclazine that HAL gives its passengers free has been all I ever needed. I take one before bed if we're rolling pretty hard and it's great.

I will not use those patches................see people come aboard with them already on and we've had NO high or medium seas..............:confused:

I got patches "just in case" on our first (23 day) cruise...............and a nurse at our table told me to NOT use it..............she went into the side effects, the worst problem, she said, is vision problems.

I never did use them; the meclazine that HAL gives its passengers free has been all I ever needed. I take one before bed if we're rolling pretty hard and it's great.

I will not use those patches................see people come aboard with them already on and we've had NO high or medium seas..............:confused:

OP here. I wasn't looking into them for the cruise itself. I was concerned about the Kenai Fjords trip out of Seward which is notorious for seasickness issues. But we're going to make the best of it with either Dramamine or Bonine and ginger capsules. Here's to hoping that works for all of us!

Kenai Fjords.. I had no problem with motion sickness, to which I am prone. I did take Bonine. I had my "watch" which gives electrical shocks with me, but did not have to use it.

You were lucky. We had 7-8 foot waves. Many were sick. There were some locals on our tour who said they had been out on this tour numerous times and this was the worst they had experienced. I had been taking Bonine (taking it each night before bed) and had to use the ginger root capsules several times on the Kenai Fjords tour. My DH only used the patch for the Kenai Fjords tour, putting it on four hours before the tour began. He needed one dose of the ginger root, as he still got queasy.

I have the electronic band also, but did not have to use it.

My doctor was actually more concerned about Bonine than he was about the patch.

I do know the original patch caused a lot of eye issues. I was under the impression it has been reformulated and the side effects are not as serious. However, I could be mistaken.

All I do know is I was very ill once crossing Lake Michigan on a car ferry. I was so, so miserable. I had never been sea sick before so I was not prepared and the boat had nothing to offer except coke. No way I could keep that down. It was a nightmare. So, on my two recent cruises I took the Bonine each night and the ginger when I got queasy. I really wonder if the Bonine helped, since I got queasy anyway. All I know is the ginger did the trick for me. My doctor is not sold on ginger working, but I sure am.

OP here. I wasn't looking into them for the cruise itself. I was concerned about the Kenai Fjords trip out of Seward which is notorious for seasickness issues. But we're going to make the best of it with either Dramamine or Bonine and ginger capsules. Here's to hoping that works for all of us!

Oh! My DD and SIL loved that trip out of Seward...........(I'd done it before).................none of us got even a bit queezy...............they had sunshine but I'd had an overcast day. It's a wonderful adventure! ENJOY!:)

I've used them on my last 4 cruises and never had a problem. Over the counter doesn't work for me but the patch sure does. After spending all that money on the cruise, it's no fun being stuck in your cabin seasick. It's happened to me. Then I found out about the patch.

I hope I have the same luck as my doctor prescribed the patch too & can't take OTC drugs either. Never knew about the potential problems & may make a quick call to my doctor's office next week.

Hubby used them on 7 day Carribbean cruise. Never had a problem with vision or anything else. I've never used anything but don't have N/V with motion. Being in the medical field, I do agree, one should ask about any side effects even if they are not "volunteered.

I did use the patch for a few years for airplane rides and stopped because of the side effects: dry mouth ( like with the medication they give you before anasthesia); and feeling like my eyes wanted to pop out of their sockets. I can't imagine having to take them for a few DAYS !

I now use Bonine ( feel NO side effects ).

But that is my 2 cents, I really can't overrule a GOOD doctor's advice.

p.s though I didn't believe in ginger pills, I have to admit they worked miracles even on very ( and I mean very) rocky rides ! Felt as good as on the solid floor at home and no side effects !

• 1 month later...

OP, if your doctor doesn't recommend them, in fact two doctors, I definitely would find another method. I definitely would not be just going from doctor to doctor in the family trying to find one to perscribe these for you. I know when we first began cruising I brought them along and used them to begin with as we knew it was going to be a rough cruise. The side effects were actually worse than being seasick (which I know for some that is hard to imagine, but it is the truth).

There are so many other methods to prevent seasickness.

No one knows how they will react to these patches as each person will react differently. But for me, I would just as soon be hugging that porcelain god then to ever use a patch again (although I no longer need any meds as I found that the first 24 hours is just for getting your sea legs, after that, the nasty feeling fades).

I do totally agree with your doctor though, the side effects for some are undescribable.

Honestly,I have used them for years. I am not a large woman, so I cut them in half. I never expreience any side effects that way. The first tiem I used them, I used a whole patch and found that I was VERY thirsty and my vision blurred. Having reduced the dosage has kept meboth symptom and side effect free.

vee vill make you talk.

scopalamine is in every bad spy movie (a personal addiction) as use as a truth serum.

i wouldn't touch it with an eleven foot pole but if you get it prescribed, do a dry run in the protection of your home with supervision.

i occasionally see cruisers downtown with a little patch behind their ear. i have a strange desire to wear a monacle, cup a cigarette backwards, and ask them intimate questions with a really bad accent.

but if i didn't, who would?

Archived