Ship left now what?????

KROBI

Also realize that if you are on shore, its nearing time for all aboard and you hear the ships horn wail...you are about to be in a world of hurt. I have been on ships where they sound the horn as a warning. I've also been on ships where the horn sounding means ...so long.

You are on your own to make it to the next port of call for your vessel.

This past February several people, who were having just a bit too much fun in Progreso, got left behind. Fortunately for them the Carnival Triumph was in port headed to Cozumel the next day... the same port of call we were headed to. They were able to board the Triumph and meet up with our ship in Cozumel. That, however, is an exceptional event.

;)

That speaks mountains for the level of customer service provided by Carnival. It is nice to see that a few corporations still go above and beyond sometimes. I do wonder how the additional passengers were accomodated on board.

That speaks mountains for the level of customer service provided by Carnival. It is nice to see that a few corporations still go above and beyond sometimes. I do wonder how the additional passengers were accomodated on board.

Guess you missed the threads about CCL canceling two Pride cruises and telling those that were canceled that they now have to pay even more money and instead of driving to their port they now have to spend 1k or more on flights.

We have never missed the boat, and we've book countless excursions privately. Your best bet is to keep your watch on SHIP time (not local), book with a reputable tour company (research first on here), only do excursions that start early in the day, and to leave yourself A LOT of time when returning to the ship. Also keep a copy of the Fun Times with you in case you miss the boat.

If you miss the ship it is because of poor planning on your part.......give yourself plenty of time to get back and you will be ok........

Most people that miss the ship are probably 100 yards away from the ship at a bar getting hammered.......not because of a independent tour......

Back in Dec 2003, we were leaving Cozumel (late afternoon) and one passenger kept getting paged ..... then we left. Word around the ship was that father and son were traveling together and the father was left .... which was heart-wrenching. Then we found out that the son was in his 40's ... Apparently, too much party time and Dad got distracted.

Our next stop was Grand Cayman and Dad didn't have a passport, so Dad spent the night with the port agent, took a ferry to the mainland and a 10-hour taxi ride down to Costa Maya where he could catch up with the ship at the next port. When he got to Costa Maya, he was greeted with the news that a storm was brewing and our ship would not be able to dock in Costa Maya. So ... back up to Cozumel where we picked him up the next afternoon when we docked in Cozumel again.

We arrived in Cozumel mid-afternoon with an overnight visit. (All aboard was 4 am or sometime). This was a great treat for the crew, but made for a very quiet final day onboard since many passengers and crew alike had taken full advantage of that surprise visit.

I happened to be at the gangway when our missing passenger reboarded that afternoon. He look absolutely exhausted!!!!

Each cruiseline has a 'port agent' at each port. I would find that person first, then follow whatever advice posted above that applies.

Some have caught the ship on the Pilot Boat. However Harbor Pilots charge cruise ships over $2000.00 each time they bring a ship in and out of a port. Who knows how much they'd charge a desperate passenger!!!

If you miss the ship it is because of poor planning on your part.......give yourself plenty of time to get back and you will be ok........

Most people that miss the ship are probably 100 yards away from the ship at a bar getting hammered.......not because of a independent tour......

Ahhh, "The Cozumel Conundrum!":D:D

I will be taking my first cruise this December. If you are on a tour, not booked through Carnival, and the ship leaves before you get back,what do you do?????:confused:

Cry and hope you have a CC with some room for air fare on it.

I was on a cruise where the Capt. waited for a while because the girls who were late getting back were in their late teens and the mother was on the ship having a major meltdown. One of the girls wandered back to the ship and we still waited. The Capt. said they were too young to leave behind (I asked him during the Cigar Social that night).

The best person in that whole thing was the pedicab driver, the pier is very long in Cozumel and he rode as hard as he could to get the last girl to the ship.

And then one of the dock guys made the poor guy ride him back down the pier.

Hey! I was on that cruise!... I have the incident on DVD...

Thanks for the info. It would be a lonely feeling watching the ship sail away....

Have your camera ready. They say you can get a very memorable picture as the ship sails away. You might be the only one from that cruise that has that picture!

Take your watch with you. I notice a lot of people don't wear their watch on vacation. !

VERY good information- and do NOT use your cell phone to check time because island time and ship time may not be the same and the cell phone clock will change automatically

I was on a cruise where the Capt. waited for a while because the girls who were late getting back were in their late teens and the mother was on the ship having a major meltdown. One of the girls wandered back to the ship and we still waited. The Capt. said they were too young to leave behind (I asked him during the Cigar Social that night).

i wonder if that family was fined for the long wait?

OK... a common theme in these posts is to bash the tour operator. Well.... we all know that [SIZE=4]$#%t happens[/SIZE] and it could happen to a "reputable" tour operator (whether private or through the cruise line) just as well. Traffic problems, accidents, mechanical failures, whatever, can derail even the best of tours. The [I]only[/I] difference is that the ship [I]will not depart[/I] if one of [I]THEIR [/I]tours is late returning.

[quote name='julia']OK... a common theme in these posts is to bash the tour operator. Well.... we all know that [SIZE=4]$#%t happens[/SIZE] and it could happen to a "reputable" tour operator (whether private or through the cruise line) just as well. Traffic problems, accidents, mechanical failures, whatever, can derail even the best of tours. The [I]only[/I] difference is that the ship [I]will not depart[/I] if one of [I]THEIR [/I]tours is late returning.[/quote]

Good point.

But it's much easier to kick the tour operator's butt than my husband's . . . I have to take him home and live with him afterwards.

[quote name='serene56']In the Fun Times will be an emergency number for each port- youwill call that number--- (for what reason? I have no idea)

hopefully you have your passport coz you cant fly without it.
[/quote]

The port agent. They will contact the ship and/or Carnival and tell them you are found.

If the ship hasn't gone too far, you may be able to get the pilot boat or perhaps some other boat to take you out to the ship. If it is too late, the port agent can help inform you of what your other options might be, including flying and perhaps being a stowaway on a different ship.

Before Carnival leaves someone, they will typically enter their cabin and attempt to find their passport in the safe - if so, they will leave with the port agent.

At least this is how it was explained to me once upon a time.

If you didnt take your passport into port with you, you won't be able to fly home. Need a pp. I personally don't take my pp into port cuz they are worth big money to the locals. I wouldn't want to risk it. But then again, I'm booking only ship tours so I don't feel the need to have one.

[quote name='chickie_mite']I just knew it had a name!

Didn't miss the ship, but I haven't run as long or as far since 7th grade track![/quote]

AKA known as the Cozumel Crawl. One of the best shows on cruising anywhere. Having once starred in a Coz Crawl, I can tell you that those concrete docks are murder on the hands, elbows and knees!!! I decided I should stay with the audience rather than the cast of the show from now on.:eek::eek:

Archived