PG Reviews - June 26, 2010

AnglerGirl

Hi AnglerGirl! Sorry to budge in.... we're going on the 7 nights PG Cruise late October and has been thinking about the excrusions in Moorea.

You mentioned there are public beaches in both Moorea and BB for snrokeling. is it just walking distance from where the ship dock and we can still have a nice snorkeling experience?

Thanks in adv!! :)

Plenty of juices and virgin coladas are available, even via room service if you like. Don't know about iced tea, sorry. My recommendation is the Coral Garden drift snorkel and the drift snorkels off Rangiora - these are available via the ship tour desk. Rangiora, Moorea and Bora Bora have public beaches you can snokel from so you don't have to book tours for those places to see the underwater critters. Yes, there is great ice cream on board every day and ever night for dessert.

all on one trip together ! Wow if Wendy and myself and Texed were there is would have been a real PG reunion - hope I didnt miss any of the other cheerleaders.

Glad to see all of you had such a good time. It really relives the warm and fuzzies for me that brim to the surface when I think of the PG.

Was Hina still on board? Raina?

Ivan peruses the passenger list before you get on board so he knows who is coming back in advance.

Was my friend Efren ( bartender) still there? And Miki the gentlemanly Maitre?

Hi AnglerGirl! Sorry to budge in.... we're going on the 7 nights PG Cruise late October and has been thinking about the excrusions in Moorea.

You mentioned there are public beaches in both Moorea and BB for snrokeling. is it just walking distance from where the ship dock and we can still have a nice snorkeling experience?

Thanks in adv!! :)

hi dande - I don't know of any beaches that one can walk to from the tender docks other than Rangiroa. :(

On Moorea, there's a beach between the airport and the Sofitel (there's a popular dirt road turn off) and another beach is between the bays right along the road. SouthSeaSue raved about the french pension she went to - beautiful, but no fuss with reasonable day use cost. I love the Hilton, but during our cruise some people paid a day use cost and others didn't which caused some confusion among PG'rs. I think it's good karma to make yourself known to hotel management or the bar/resturant if you plan to use a hotel beach but that;s just my opinion.

Bora Bora has Matira Beach. It's beautiful! You can walk (if you wanted) to all the way out to the barrier reef there. Maybe someone else can chime in on other beaches they may know of. Don't forget the PG motu on Bora Bora. Our sailing was not able to enjoy it due to strong currents. Hopefully you will have better luck because it surely was missed by those of us who were fortunate to enjoy it before.

all on one trip together ! Wow if Wendy and myself and Texed were there is would have been a real PG reunion - hope I didnt miss any of the other cheerleaders.

Glad to see all of you had such a good time. It really relives the warm and fuzzies for me that brim to the surface when I think of the PG.

Was Hina still on board? Raina?

Ivan peruses the passenger list before you get on board so he knows who is coming back in advance.

Was my friend Efren ( bartender) still there? And Miki the gentlemanly Maitre?

emdee, re: group.....I had to laugh at the scene, and possibilities. All of us - Tattoo Boy too, and a few others who are still MIA, plus Texed (going in 2011) and kcb and his wife, then we have Wendy who is DUE to get to FP, and you guys... We're all returning. We can get another 5% for a group of 10. Hmmmm. :D I may have to put my travel agent hat on. I should warn Pia, Ivan, Noel, Chef, Randy, Captain, Staff Captain, and oh the dancing doctor too. DH is gonna have a heart attack!

emdee, re: group.....I had to laugh at the scene, and possibilities. All of us - Tattoo Boy too, and a few others who are still MIA, plus Texed (going in 2011) and kcb and his wife, then we have Wendy who is DUE to get to FP, and you guys... We're all returning. We can get another 5% for a group of 10. Hmmmm. :D I may have to put my travel agent hat on. I should warn Pia, Ivan, Noel, Chef, Randy, Captain, Staff Captain, and oh the dancing doctor too. DH is gonna have a heart attack!

Well, due but not OVERDUE perhaps! It has only been 18 months after all.

But it would be fun, wouldn't it? Some day.

Emdee, not sure about Raina and Hina, but the leader of the Gauguines is still there - 9 years she said. Miki is there, Efren, any many others, including Marlon, the smiling waiter......Alain, the dancing doctor, really got around, didn't he? We shared a table one night, and he was hilarious. He told a story about travelling the US in 1997 for 11 MONTHS with his wife and children - rented a RV and just went - friends all over, and they just learned a LOT about American culture - especially in the South, East/Midwest. They didn't get up to the Northwest.

I mean, I heard the French took long vacations, but sheesh! 11 months!

Emdee, not sure about Raina and Hina, but the leader of the Gauguines is still there - 9 years she said. Miki is there, Efren, any many others, including Marlon, the smiling waiter......Alain, the dancing doctor, really got around, didn't he? We shared a table one night, and he was hilarious. He told a story about travelling the US in 1997 for 11 MONTHS with his wife and children - rented a RV and just went - friends all over, and they just learned a LOT about American culture - especially in the South, East/Midwest. They didn't get up to the Northwest.

I mean, I heard the French took long vacations, but sheesh! 11 months!

I thought the Danish honeymooners were going for a long time (11 weeks!).

To those of you on the June 26 cruise...I have pics and videos to share via email to most of you. I've not forgotten! All my images are ready to go but I'm waiting for sister to pass me her flash drive later this week so I can pass on her images too. We have some fun group photos so far. :D

SSS, the good doctor could have danced his way across the US in those months! Don't forget to add the newlyweds from Denmark who were on week #2 of their 11 week long honeymoon. "We come to Tahiti via Dubaii! Weeeeeee!!! I'm so luckeeeeee!!!" Hilarious.

Not a bad idea Angler Girl. Maybe we should all go together. Start planning. A Welcome back to the PG cruise with special deals for returnees. Since we are such cheerleaders on this board I am sure that will merit an additional 5% in addition to your group 5% and our returning 5% and our 200 for bringing each other on board .... and so on and so on....

Dande88, we have been a couple of times to Les Tipannier beach and bar in Moorea. They are very welcoming . The cheapest way to go is to take the Tahia Collins shuttle and if they are nice they will drop you at the hotel. The Hilton is very close to Les Tipannier. Then you can walk to the Tahia Collins store and take another shuttle back or halfway there there is a very nice store with a lot of interesting jewellery and other stuff and the lady there was kind enough to call a cab. The Les Tipannier hotel staff wouldnt do so for us .

Hi Anglergirl

Could you share a few photos on the board so we could all enjoy?

Thanks

Brian & Tony

I agree! Photos would be make our day!!! :D

Not a bad idea Angler Girl. Maybe we should all go together. Start planning. A Welcome back to the PG cruise with special deals for returnees. Since we are such cheerleaders on this board I am sure that will merit an additional 5% in addition to your group 5% and our returning 5% and our 200 for bringing each other on board .... and so on and so on....

I only have one visit under my belt.... but I like that idea!!! What a fun time it would be!!!

Thank you emdee & anglergirl! Will look into all those options in Moorea regarding beaches. I know we want to do the 4x4 drive in Moorea, but was thinking doing some snorkeling on our own, if possible w/o booking another excursion tour.

Dande88, we have been a couple of times to Les Tipannier beach and bar in Moorea. They are very welcoming . The cheapest way to go is to take the Tahia Collins shuttle and if they are nice they will drop you at the hotel. The Hilton is very close to Les Tipannier. Then you can walk to the Tahia Collins store and take another shuttle back or halfway there there is a very nice store with a lot of interesting jewellery and other stuff and the lady there was kind enough to call a cab. The Les Tipannier hotel staff wouldnt do so for us .

Hi

Well we are back and the PG is still floating!It should be because

Anglergirl and her sister made the ship a little lighter...since all

the beer is gone.

Anglergirl was a blast she had a nick name for everybody(I

don't want to know mine)

The cruise was great.The staff was great as well! But the people on the

ship made the cruise.I have been on the PG 7 times and

this was the best, by far!

Can't wait till next year.That is if we don"t join AA.

As I mentioned, the staff is great. Hina just got married and

is back from her honeymoon, Raina still dancing, Miki is

still doing his job and playing soccer when he is in port.

Still pretty good for his age. So if anybody wants to play

soccer just ask him.

The best review was done by DrmnofMaui.She did a great

job of telling you what to expect on this cruise line(she should

work for PG cruises)

Again, thanks to all of you VILLAGERS, who made this cruise so much fun!

all on one trip together ! Wow if Wendy and myself and Texed were there is would have been a real PG reunion - hope I didnt miss any of the other cheerleaders.....

Assuming we could all agree on a non-seven day itinerary in July or August 2011, there is a good chance my wife and I would be up for it!:rolleyes:

Hi

Well we are back and the PG is still floating!It should be because

Anglergirl and her sister made the ship a little lighter...since all

the beer is gone.

Anglergirl was a blast she had a nick name for everybody(I

don't want to know mine)

The cruise was great.The staff was great as well! But the people on the

ship made the cruise.I have been on the PG 7 times and

this was the best, by far!

Can't wait till next year.That is if we don"t join AA.

As I mentioned, the staff is great. Hina just got married and

is back from her honeymoon, Raina still dancing, Miki is

still doing his job and playing soccer when he is in port.

Still pretty good for his age. So if anybody wants to play

soccer just ask him.

The best review was done by DrmnofMaui.She did a great

job of telling you what to expect on this cruise line(she should

work for PG cruises)

Again, thanks to all of you VILLAGERS, who made this cruise so much fun!

Tat, welcome back. Don't discount us when pointing fingers! We not only drank most of the Hihano, but damn near cleaned out that wine cellar too. Remember, we fear no beer, except Chicago's daily Grolsch fiestas.

I'm sure Mel is glad his little sparkle angel is back on US soil. Not sure if the wizard of dollies can get him out of this latest mess <cough>.

You and your DW are some of the most pleasureable (and tolerable) folks I've ever met. It would be an honor to break bread with you again sometime!

Hi South Seas Sue,

You mentioned about a day pass at the Hilton Moorea...maybe I ask how much is this day pass? Also, how did u get to the Hilton? Car rental or taxi? Thanks so much!!

I'm here to atest that Angler Girl and her cool sister were the life of the cruise - disco - whatever.......while yours truly and DH were crawling into bed before 10:00. Too much sun & water....

I have to laugh about the lobster. The one night they were presented as part of a special menu, they were about the size of a medium shrimp. Tasty, but tiny. We had two plus the steak that night. I remember we gave a rap on this board to the fellow who was complaining about the cruise and the size of the lobster. Well, he was right about the size of the lobster. HOWEVER, there was lots of mahi mahi, grouper, swordfish, and especially MOONFISH to go around. We had fish of some kind almost every night. Food was terrific.

Kudos especially to staff. As usual. They are just the best. I did get a good feeling when Ivan, matre'd of the Veranda restaurant, welcomed us back - having remembered us from our last family trip 2 1/2 years ago. Its nice when they do that........

Our room steward was terrific too.....I told her when we left for breakfast, and that we would appreciate the room cleaned before we returned, and it was done - whisk - every day.

The weather was iffy - including a change in itinerary when the captain decided it was too rough to travel from Raiatea to Rangiroa. He turned around, and went to Bora Bora instead. The trip was rough to Bora Bora (I got sick), but I can't imagine what it would have been like had he continued on to Rangiroa, with the swells we were having.......fortunately, our private tour with Patrick could be rescheduled, and we had our snorkel and roasted pig on the beach.......

Lots of rain at the beginning, but it would usually clear toward mid afternoon......Personally, I enjoyed the second half of the trip the most. Our motu day was just great - I had a massage in the tent on the water on the motu.....in fact, I had a double massage.....Then, of course Moorea was a highlight. We went to the Hilton the first day, paid for a day pass, and passed a terrific day in their wonderful beach, restaurant, and their beautiful lagoon. You can snorkel right from the beach in the lagoon, which is filled with fish. In fact, if I were to do it again, I would take the 7-day itinerary, and then ferry back to Moorea for another week at the Hilton. The second Moorea day we rented a car and visited La Petite Village, and a few pearl shops, but most of the time we spent at Les Tipaniers, a small French hotel with a terrific lagoon beach, and a good restaurant right on the water. Instead of paying $18 for a pina colada at the Hilton (I had a beer), they were $9.50 at Les Tipaniers......no frills though - no beach boys to set up a chair for you, and the cottages looked pretty bare bones.....

We only took one organized ship tour, the Rangiroa "acquarium" tour. They take you out (not far) in a small boat, and you jump or climb down into the water and the fish are unbelievable. Very good.

We also saw some terrific Tahitian dancing. A top group in Moorea performed on the pool deck just before we left that island, and then the next (last) night in Tahiti we saw the No. 1 dance troup in Tahiti. They were fantastic! DH bought a DVD.......

Any questions, I'll try to anwer.......great trip, and NO CHANGE that I could see from our last trip under the Regent banner. They have extended the shade on the pool deck, which is a very good thing....

Glenda:D:D:D

Dandee, here was our experience with the day pass. We taxied to the Hilton, went to the front desk, and explained our desire to use the beach and facilities, and snorkel there, and to have lunch. We were told by the PG Excursion staff that there are no actual fees at the hotels - that you could use their beaches as long as you spent money, like having drinks or lunch. This information is totally wrong, at least as far as the Hilton is concerned. There is a day pass fee, normally $60 per person. Because we had been given wrong information by the ship, and brought our own snorkling equipment, we negotiated a rate something less than that. The rate included using their beach and very comfy chaises, towels, AND lunch in their beach front restaurant. We felt it was a very good deal. We spent a really good afternoon there. The snorkeling was fantastic right off their beach in the lagoon - some of the best we found on our entire trip..

I later found out that others had gone to the Hilton and some of the other hotels the next day, proceded to the beach, and expected to use the beach and facilities without paying any fees. I understand some folks were chased off the beaches by irate hotel employees!

This really is the fault of the Excursion team. They should know what the policies are in the various hotels. I was disappointed in the depth of knowledge of the excursion staff. They knew about the ship sponsored excursions, but other info, such as I have described, was either wrong or they simply did not know. I felt this department was the "weakest link" of the Paul Gauguin service. :mad:

In my comments I included the suggestion that they build good relationships with some of the hotels on Moorea - offer a beach day package, or at least transportation to some of the public beaches on Moorea.

Just trying to gather information and would like to book ASAP assuming we need to. A few questions:

1. We received a Vantage Travel book and the fee is lower than the PG site in that the Society and Tuamotus trip also would include a 2 night stay at the Sofitel Hotel in Papeete at the end of the trip. Some reviews when I did a google search said that Vantage has problems. Did any of you go through Vantage or direct with PG?

2. We are considering March. How's that time of year?

3. I cannot swim now as I have a balance disorder. My husband is thinking of bringing his own snorkel gear and doing one paid dive. Will there be stuff for me to do? I am ok to sit on a beach and read or go for walks if it is safe.

4. One person suggested the 7 day cruise and then 7 days in Moorea. Is that a good first trip thing to do? Where to stay in Moorea?

5. HOw many suitcases? Did you bring your own power strip?

I really appreciate any tips. We learned a lot here before our last cruise in the Mediterranean.

Perhaps some Vantagers will pipe up. An extra couple of nights or so is not too shabby, I remember envying these guys as we were preparing to fly out last time.

But, I also heard talk of problems. There's two companies run by brothers, Grand Circle and Vantage, and they feud. Sometimes there are both groups on the same ship. And sometimes there are issues (in general, not necessarily in FP.)

There is a bit of the "herd" mentality in the way they try to organize you. But we've met some nice folks in these groups, and it's easy to just ignore the group stuff. They do lay on some things like cocktail parties and tours on land.

We have booked the 10 day Feb. 9, 2011 Society Islands and Tutamotus through Vantage. We chose Vantage because of inclusions and price and because we did a European River cruise with them and it was excellent. The program managers and guides were great. Our only problem with Vantage was costomer service before hand which was poor, this time it seems much improved, no complaints at all. We did choose this time to book our own flight to LA.

Archived