Epic: My review

Leyndon

Good:

I love love loved my steward, and the housekeeping staff. Above and beyond. I cannot praise them enough.

Excellent food overall.

Lots of excellent storage in the 'New Wave'.

I thought Second City was very funny...I had seen Blue Man before, but it was still a great show.

Fat Cats - Slam is epic! He and his band are above and beyond fantastic.

The Bad:

My phone did not work for 4 days! No room service, I can't call my family, etc. I went down and asked for it to be fixed 3 times. Eventually, I fixed it. Very annoying!

The service in the Manhattan room was less than stellar. I had a waiter roll his eyes at me twice, for requests like Parmesan for my pasta. I know, such a bizarre request. He brought it, 15 minutes later, just in time for me to be done...and rolled his eyes for wasting his time. Right.

I ordered breakfast room service via hanging door tag, and it just did not come. I waited, and waited...sadly, I had no phone, so I could not call!

There were too many stupid rules. How much OJ I could have. C'mon.

A crew member told me 300 people (aka 10%) of the ship reclaimed their gratuities. I am not surprised.

I stayed solo in a New Wave, and I would never, ever book it with some one else. Way too personal. You can see everything. And the facilities are right by the door, either trapping some one in or out while you shower, etc.

Many things were extremely expensive. Older releases were $12.95, which seemed pretty steep. Movies in the atrium were hard to hear, that is when the sound worked at all...

And they need a library! Some of us like to have an area of respite.

The beyond bad:

My toilet stopped working the last day without explanation, and I smelled another on another deck in passing that malfunctioned much worse...aikes! I am lucky I had family members close by, and could use their facilities, but I shouldn't have to do that!

The cool:

People blasting "Empire State of Mind" when we came into NYC; The beautiful arrival view; CNBC in the room (!).

I have been on the ship. I experienced it. (Trans-Atlantic.) So I will comment on my reality. Sorry if it offends.

Thanks for your review. New ship or new anything is bound to have "startup" issues, that being said we are still looking forward to our "Epic" celebration onboard. Thanks again for taking the time to give us a look at your "reality" of the cruise,ship and crew.

Neverthought

Good:

There were too many stupid rules. How much OJ I could have. C'mon.

A crew member told me 300 people (aka 10%) of the ship reclaimed their gratuities. I am not surprised.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Just curious about those "stupid rules"?

Sad to read about so many people removing the gratutities as I felt most of the wait staff that I encountered were really top notch.

Did you eat in Taste (MDR on deck 5) as well as the Manhatten Club?

We were talking to an assistant manager about the difference in being served in the Manhatten Club vs. Taste (we found taste to be quicker). He informed us that the waiters in the Manhatten Club had to walk down to deck 4 where the galley was located. So I guess that could explain the delay on the requested items.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope the 300 people that pulled their gratuities were doing so because bad service, not because they were trying to punish NCL for inoperable phones and frosted glass in the bathroom. That would sure hurt the wrong folks. Overall I heard the staff was awesome on the ship, and I think your experience with the eye rolling is the first I remember seeing like this. I would have immediately reported this behavior to get it nipped in the bud. It's one thing to be frustrated with maybe being overwhelmed, it's another to insult your customers with things like eyerolls.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Just curious about those "stupid rules"?

Sad to read about so many people removing the gratutities as I felt most of the wait staff that I encountered were really top notch.

Did you eat in Taste (MDR on deck 5) as well as the Manhatten Club?

We were talking to an assistant manager about the difference in being served in the Manhatten Club vs. Taste (we found taste to be quicker). He informed us that the waiters in the Manhatten Club had to walk down to deck 4 where the galley was located. So I guess that could explain the delay on the requested items.

Re: OJ. I was only allowed 2 glasses for roomservice. Uh, I like my OJ, and only drink it on vacation. I also was with my family, albeit they booked separate rooms. So stupid. I warned them I call again immediately for more if they did not bring 4 glasses as asked, which makes for an unnecessary trip for the staff? :confused: I also would of been fine with a small pitcher.

I did just that, and got my other 2 glasses. :rolleyes:

Also, they tried to kick me out of the gym, because my shoes were 'too heavy'. If I weighed 50lbs more, no problem, but 1lb of shoe is a problem? They just were rubber. There was no big deal. I said just that, and they left me alone. Why bother me in the first place?

That was the rule that pushed me to the limit, I want my exercise, and was not going to be barred from it for a week...I was 100% respectful, yet stood my ground.

Also, I did eat in Taste, and I personally liked the waiters.

In the buffet, the food was above and beyond good. I was annoyed that they kept restocking the silverware and wiping the tables over and over, while I was still eating. It is really distracting to have a dirty wet towel come by while trying to enjoy lunch!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope the 300 people that pulled their gratuities were doing so because bad service, not because they were trying to punish NCL for inoperable phones and frosted glass in the bathroom. That would sure hurt the wrong folks. Overall I heard the staff was awesome on the ship, and I think your experience with the eye rolling is the first I remember seeing like this. I would have immediately reported this behavior to get it nipped in the bud. It's one thing to be frustrated with maybe being overwhelmed, it's another to insult your customers with things like eyerolls.

I agree. Maybe write to NCL or call customer service instead.

Also, they tried to kick me out of the gym, because my shoes were 'too heavy'. If I weighed 50lbs more, no problem, but 1lb of shoe is a problem? They just were rubber. There was no big deal. I said just that, and they left me alone. Why bother me in the first place?

Were you the guy in the gym wearing these shoes? ;)

24y9tub.jpg

But seriously what was their problem?

How did you find the gym on the Epic, was it crowded?

Were you the guy in the gym wearing these shoes? ;)

24y9tub.jpg

But seriously what was their problem?

How did you find the gym on the Epic, was it crowded?

How did you know? :eek:;)

I thought it was pretty good. Never had to wait for a machine, and they were really nice iPod hook ups. It looks like eventually, personal TV's too.

The best part was floor to ceiling windows - walking the treadmill while the ocean is right there- very lovely!

thanks for your review!

we will be doing a lot of running on the treadmills and hope they are right up front at the window. But in the pics we've seen, it looks like they are behind the other equipment (elliptical). Are the treadmills behind other equipment or do some have an unobstructed view?

Mike the first day at the front desk as I was standing in line I observed several couples in a "special line" for removing the service charges. I was surprised that they were doing that on the first day!

The service staff on the Epic was the best staff of any NCL cruise I've been on. The front desk personnel - well it's my opinion that they were overwhelmed and didn't expect as many complaints as there were.

I guess that there were too many of us "unreasonable people" who should have been more accepting that this inaugural cruise was "supposed" to have kinks :rolleyes:

Thanks for the objective review Leyndon. I bet it was frustrating without phone service especially for room service.

I am too smart to know a waiter or waitress will never roll their eyes at a customer (especially on a cruise ship) without just cause. And for asking for more cheese?

Were you on your best behavior? C'mon now, be honest ;);) ;) :) :) :) LOL

what the hell are heavy shoes, and how would they know or care?

Thick rubber soles. I think I drew attention because I ran fast intervals on the treadmill. I had my headphones on, but I guess they maybe thomped? Seemed no louder than anyone else?

I run in them all the time, no problems before...I don't know. I went to the bike, and one of the staff approached me, about my shoes being too heavy, they could damage the machines, I would have to leave.

I politely stood my ground. She said she would have to speak to her manager. I was never bothered again.

Mike the first day at the front desk as I was standing in line I observed several couples in a "special line" for removing the service charges. I was surprised that they were doing that on the first day!

That is terrible! Give the crew a chance!

thanks for your review!

we will be doing a lot of running on the treadmills and hope they are right up front at the window. But in the pics we've seen, it looks like they are behind the other equipment (elliptical). Are the treadmills behind other equipment or do some have an unobstructed view?

Right in front! It is so lovely- be sure to bring great music for the waves!

Thanks for the objective review Leyndon. I bet it was frustrating without phone service especially for room service.

I am too smart to know a waiter or waitress will never roll their eyes at a customer (especially on a cruise ship) without just cause. And for asking for more cheese?

Were you on your best behavior? C'mon now, be honest ;);) ;) :) :) :) LOL

I am often told I am polite to my own detriment. I am from Vegas, a city built on service; Many family members have worked in the industry. Being from a tourist town, I am well aware of "The ugly tourist" and am never, ever that way. I treat people when I travel the exact same way I treat them when I am at home : with respect, a smile, and courtesy.

Cheese is all I asked for, very poilitetly.

I am not to blame. Please look for no implications otherwise.

Sorry, I did ask for additional guacamole for my appetizer quesadilla. Full disclosure here!

Again, not a crazy request.

BTW Mr. Luckytoo, thank you for the info on the distance to the kitchen. That makes more sense now.

The cool:

People blasting "Empire State of Mind" when we came into NYC; The beautiful arrival view; CNBC in the room (!).

I have been on the ship. I experienced it. (Trans-Atlantic.) So I will comment on my reality. Sorry if it offends.

Were you near the aft of the ship, starboard? I was in 14151, and was on my balcony playing Jay-Z on my computer speakers.....

Archived