Do you have to do the 'fun' nights?

Presto2

We are going on our first P&O cruise in 4 weeks time :D:D after our

first cruise on OV2 last year.

We have sorted out all our formal evening wear now and clothes for the B&W evening. We're really looking forward to the whole experience!

We are a little confused about the other evenings though - tropical, 60s and 70s. When are they and what are we asked to wear? We are more than happy to join in but are not sure how many passengers join in or what to wear :confused:

Help

Thanks ;)

When I went on a party cruise on Aurora on 1st May, (which is only 2 nights), one night was a theme, the other formal night. You had lots of hen parties etc dressing up, but even on this short cruise, only about 25% got properly into the 'theme'. So I would concentrate on your formal nights and general outfits rather than trying to cram too much 70's stuff in your suitcase!

We have found Tropical is followed to a certain degree. I have a flowery tropical shirt and that's about it.

60 and 70's no, but others do

Country and Western no, but others do.

Black and White yes, most do

Formal yes, most do and those who don't stand out.

You won't be out of place if you don't observe Tropical, 60's and 70's and Country and Western

However it depends on the Captain as to whether he a 'people person' and meets and mingles with the passengers. One we had might just as well stayed ashore and telephoned his orders :-(( Others fantastic :-))

Formal for MOST people is THE MUST, 'The Poshtest we can do' for the Ladies :D:D

The important thing is, 'don't let it worry you and spoil your cruise' ;)

Thanks for the posts = we're not too worried ! I think that our main concern was the formal nights but now that we are all 'geared up' we are really excited about them ! We are NOT formal dress people (the last time we did formal wear was when we got married! :D) BUT, when in Rome so -----------

:)

I would say a large proportion wear something brightly coloured for the Tropical Nights (a smart casual evening). On the 8 P&O cruises we have been on the Tropical Nights have been fun with many men wearing the bright tropical shirts - I got a fantastic one for my husband on ebay. The ship will also sell them in the shop and if you are in the Caribbean you can get them very cheaply on the islands. There is usually a tropical lei on your place in the restaurant and there is a tropical emphasis in the menu.

The Black and White evening is a Formal Night and I would say the majority of passengers dress for this - them men obviously by wearing dinner jackets (some wear white or cream jackets) and the women by wearing either black and white dresses or black dresses with white accessories.

The other evenings - Country and Western, 60s/70s evening are not followed very much - we don't. Some people will put on 60s or 70s gear after dinner to go and join in with the disco - usually on deck if fine. Hope this helps.

Carole

Agree with Rum Rat.

Tropical is fun, lots of ladies will wear more brightly coloured dresses or blouses with say white trousers or a white skirt. A lot of men will be wearing flowery shirts. Saw some forsale recently in BHS by the way for around £15 .

Never had a theme night on a party cruise and I've done 4 or more in recent years. First night is always smart casual 2nd formal. Agree not many would bother on a weekender if there was a theme night, what was it by the way? But the formal on all cruises including 2nighters is always well adhered too.

On Ventura in May, we dressed in 60's and 70's gear and people, including staff, looked as us daft! There were 15 people out of 3500 dressed up and that included staff! Tropical night had a few more in Hawaiian shirts but I would guess at less than 100.

I think that P&O should stop these "theme nights" as they are a waste of time. Keep formal and black and white, but get rid of the others as they mislead new "gullable" passengers (who want to take part) into spending money they don't have to :(

Just back from a p&o cruise as well and can confirm that hardly anyone took part in the fun theme nights, although those that did looked fab! In normal circumstances we would have taken part too, but to be honest you have to pack enough stuff without worrying about 60's/tropical clothes too!! We took part in the formal nights which was a bit of fun to get dressed up, we wouldn't normally be getting dolled up to that degree so it was a novelty and a good bit of fun! :-) If you didn't take part in the formal nights you would definitly stick out like a sore thumb, but it didn't bother us - after going to dinner in our formal attire we often changed back into big jackets and trousers etc and went out on deck, we weren't going to miss looking at the scenery of greenland and the midnight sun etc just to lounge around in fancy clothes all night, it wouldn't be for us!! Although I have to say I got looked up and down in a snobby manner a few evenings while coming back in from the promenade deck - as if I should have gone out into the arctic wind with my dress and heels on still hehe!! I don't think that issue would apply for most cruises though!! Enjoy, you'll have a great time :-)

Archived