Deluxe Balcony becoming Mini-Suite Questions??

borg1of2

I am trying to learn about NCL's cabins. I have noticed that in 2011 they change to calling a Deluxe Balcony a Mini-Suite. What is the significance of this change?

I am interested in getting a suite, but trying to understand the different suite options and benefits. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

I'm not sure why NCL are reverting to naming these cabins mini-suites. Deluxe balcony is a much more accurate description. Mini-suites DO NOT receive any of the suite perks.

For suite perks you need to book a penthouse, a suite or a courtyard villa (all classed as suites).

I am trying to learn about NCL's cabins. I have noticed that in 2011 they change to calling a Deluxe Balcony a Mini-Suite. What is the significance of this change?

I am interested in getting a suite, but trying to understand the different suite options and benefits. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

The only thing you really have to remember is that minisuite is the cabin name. Just because it contains the word "suite" does NOT mean it is a suite.

It like the word "human". Sure, it contains the word "man", but that doesn't mean that every human is a male.

NCL is very clear about what they give "suite perks" to...SUITES. And, quite simply minisuite is not a mini suite.

There are some who can't seem to get past that. They work very very hard to suggest at every opportunity that the name be changed to "deluxe balcony" (as if suites aren't deluxe or don't have balconies) instead of doing the easier thing of getting NCL to offer "mini perks" for the "minisuites".

Thanks for the replies!! Can someone then describe what NCL offers as Suite perks. On RCCL, what I am most familiar with. They have Junior Suites, which don't have suite perks, but are much larger then a balcony cabin. Sounds like with NCL it's not a larger cabin, just a balcony.

I asked this on another thread. What is the difference between Deluxe Balcony and "non" Deluxe balcony?

Scott

IMO, I think they are using the term minisuite because it is used on their other ships and it makes it easier to understand than deluxe balcony or deluxe family balcony. Even I was confused with all the differences between the balcony's family balconies-whatever! Mini suites is just easier!

Our deluxe family balcony seemed to have more space than the standard balcony room we looked at, and we also had a tub in our room (not sure if all deluxe balconies/mini suites have this.) It felt a little longer than the regular balcony room. The rooms seem small so that little extra space was great for us! It would have been pretty tight with the 3 of us in a regular balcony.

The room was still rather tight and found it felt smaller than the mini suite on the jewel or dawn. However the storage was really good which helped give the room a slightly more open feel (because we would shove everything and anything into storage.)

There are no perks at all for the mini suite room (deluxe family balcony) on the NCl cruises, nada! You are treated like everyone else in steerage:rolleyes:

Wish we were in a villa, but saving a little money mattered to us, go for whatever works better for you:)

I think one reason to use the term minisuite is that if you look at the search engines for on-line Travel Agents, minisuites are listed as "suites" as far as pricing.....so they can say "suites from $899" when the lowest full suite is much more.;)

You should go to http://nclsuitesandvillas.com/pages/suitesvillasmore.php

See the Amenities Chart tab for the complete list of all amenities available to each different type of Suite in NCL's fleet.

Great Link. Still learning NCL's site. Seems like standard Suite amenities I've seen on other lines.

The deluxe is about 30 square feet bigger than the standard balcony cabin.

Some extra space is always good. However, Junior Suites, which seem to be in the same category, that RCCL uses is much larger, 100 square feet, then balcony's. Plus the balcony is also larger, room is wider which is where I like to see an increase in size.

Thanks to all for the help. I will poke around to see prices on Penthouse and Deluxe Balcony/Mini-Suite to see what might work for us.

Scott

Archived