Naples to Sorrento and Capri

quanmama

Our next cruise will dock at Naples port from 7am til 630pm. We are planning to visit Capri this time and also are wondering if it is too ambitious to add Sorrento on our plan. We plan to get off the ship as early as possible (730-8am) and take the hydrofoil to Capri first. We are not sure how long we will be spending in Capri. What was your experience? If we only spend half day in Capri and have lunch there, I assume we could safely take Hydrofoil to Sorrento for a short trip (mainly buying some ceramics) and then take Hydrofoil again back to Naples port. Do you think that is doable? I believe we have to be back to the ship no later than 530pm. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same situation. We're going on the Ruby Princess and stop in Naples on 8/12/10. We'd like to do Capri (boat tour & tram) and Sorrento on our own. I'm looking for advice on how to do it and be back in time for our 7 p.m. departure from Naples. Have you figured anything out? Anyone else out there able to offer suggestions?

It can be done, you just won't have a lot of time in either Capri or Sorrento.

There are ferries from Molo Beverello to Capri at 7:55, 8:10 and 8:35 (arriving respectively at 8:35, 8:55, and 9:20).

From Capri to Sorrento at midday there are ferries at 1:30, 1:50 and 3:20 - these take only twenty minutes to reach Sorrento.

From Sorrento back to Molo Beverello, you need to be careful because there is a wide variation in the times (fast jet vs. ferry). There is a fast jet boat at 4:25 that arrives at 5:00. The next boat, at 4:30, doesn't arrive until 5:55.

You can look at the schedules here: http://www.aliscafi.it/localita_zona.asp?Zona=Golfo di Napoli&idInfo=1

It can be done, you just won't have a lot of time in either Capri or Sorrento.

There are ferries from Molo Beverello to Capri at 7:55, 8:10 and 8:35 (arriving respectively at 8:35, 8:55, and 9:20).

From Capri to Sorrento at midday there are ferries at 1:30, 1:50 and 3:20 - these take only twenty minutes to reach Sorrento.

From Sorrento back to Molo Beverello, you need to be careful because there is a wide variation in the times (fast jet vs. ferry). There is a fast jet boat at 4:25 that arrives at 5:00. The next boat, at 4:30, doesn't arrive until 5:55.

You can look at the schedules here: http://www.aliscafi.it/localita_zona.asp?Zona=Golfo di Napoli&idInfo=1

Thank you so much! I will look at the schedule. We might just go to Capri only.

Quanmama, we're looking to visit Capri next month on our Ruby cruise and I've just seen an ad on Capri.net for a lovely ceramics shop in Anacapri (if you don't get to Sorrento).

Thank you for the information, Suenruss. That is very helpful.

The more I think about it, the less I want to go to Sorrento. I hate to run around and stress ourselves out!

Is it possible to do the Amalfi coast and Capri from Naples as a DIY.

Either one is quite possible as a DIY from Naples. It is not realistic to try and do both on the same day, however.

There are many posts with specific information on each option. Which location is preferable to you?

Yes, there are many taxis available at the port for hire, but you might want to consider booking a car service in advance.

You have the option with Naples taxis of a fixed fare (you can read about it here, and download the pdf with the set fares: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665).

As you'll see in the attachment, the set fare for a tour of the Amalfi coast by taxi is Euro 220,000, with no limit on the amount of time. From what I've read on these boards, that compares quite favorably with what the car services charge, but you likely will not get an English speaking driver, nor can you expect any kind of commentary or information, just transport. If that's what you're seeking, you probably won't find a better price than the fixed fare taxi.

I'm in the same situation. We're going on the Ruby Princess and stop in Naples on 8/12/10. We'd like to do Capri (boat tour & tram) and Sorrento on our own. I'm looking for advice on how to do it and be back in time for our 7 p.m. departure from Naples. Have you figured anything out? Anyone else out there able to offer suggestions?

We will be on the Ruby docking in Naples, Oct. 13th and would like to do both Capri and Sorrento. The ship has a tour going to both places and also to Pompeii on the same trip so I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to be doable to just go to Capri & Sorrento. The ship cost of this tour is $229 each which seems really high. I'd love to hear some replies to this, thanks so much!!

We will be on the Ruby docking in Naples, Oct. 13th and would like to do both Capri and Sorrento. The ship has a tour going to both places and also to Pompeii on the same trip so I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to be doable to just go to Capri & Sorrento. The ship cost of this tour is $229 each which seems really high. I'd love to hear some replies to this, thanks so much!!

It's not that you can't accomplish both within a ten hour time period, you can IF you accept that you won't have much time in either place. Also, each time you add an additional transportation leg into the mix, you have to allow a little more "pad", in case things don't go exactly as planned.

With that understanding, you can certainly physically place yourself in both Sorrento and Capri.

I would suggest going to Sorrento first, since much of what people seem to be seeking there (shopping) is closed for several hours in the afternoon.

You can get to Sorrento from Naples either by boat, bus, or train.

After the morning in Sorrento, you can head to Capri by boat and, at the end of the afternoon, back to Naples from Capri, again by boat. The pier where you will land upon return from Capri, Molo Beverello, is right next to the cruise ship port.

Archived