Pub Lunch Question

Go-Bucks!

Thanks, everyone, for these answers. I can't WAIT to eat there!! Sounds fantastic! Luckily we're going to be in London and Falmouth, England, as well as Dublin, Ireland and Belfast, N.I. so hopefully I'll get plenty of pub grub, which I love. While I was growing up, my mom made Steak & Kidney pie for us all the time (using lamb kidneys, which is correct) and I've never had it since, but always loved it. And that Ploughman's lunch sounds great too. So many good choices. Ummm. :D

Do they do the Pub Lunch on the Coral?

Yes, definitely. Sadly, I could never tear myself away from my sun lounger to try it. Will have to wait for a cold-weather cruise for that, I guess!! But my British friends onboard who went gave it two thumbs up. Enjoy!

I've had it on 2 separate cruises on the Crown and one cruise on the Sapphire. On the Crown, it was always in the Wheelhouse on sea days. I had the fish and chips and an ale of some kind....my memory is failing me on that. On the Sapphire they had pub lunch on two sea days once in one of the dining rooms and once in a lounge. I only went one day on each of the Crown cruises, but went both days on the Sapphire. There were different menus each day. I had Steak and Kidney pie and friends had shepherd's pie. We shared some shrimp and chips. We all really enjoyed it. No charge for the food and we never had a wait.

On our last cruise we were on the Emerald Princess. The Pub lunch was on both sea days. The first sea day I had the Shepard's Pie. Oh, it was so good! Went back the 2nd sea day and I ordered it again. Hubby had Fish & Chips plus the shepards pie, since I raved how good it was. It was a nice break from ordering from the regular restaurant menu. More like home cooking. We'll be sure to go back there on our next cruise.

I'm assuming it's announced in the Patter which days it's offered? Do they have it on the Coral? I don't remember this being an option on my British Isles cruise last August, but then there were only a couple of sea days too so I probably just didn't pay attention.

Dianna:

The Coral is sister to the Island and it is in the Bayou Pub on Deck 7, Aft, right outside the Universe ShowLounge. Very quiet and not many people - good service and did not feel rushed.

My cabin was aft, just upstairs, very convenient. I think that other pax were just not aware of it.

:D:D;):D:D

Really enjoy our pub lunches, the fish is usually freshly fried with a nice crisp batter - they also do real beer (Boddingtons which UK residents will know). There is usually a queue so we tend to go later. One of the best entertainments is watching people, following the announcement not to queue too early - the lunch opens at 11.30. We reckon the queue starts before 11.00! When did these people have their breakfast!

Glad to see the menu has expanded. As a bit of an expert on bread and butter pudding can't wait to taste it, although expect to be slightly disappointed. As long as they don't put chocolate in it which is an absolute no no.

For overseas cruisers the food tends to be an American version of what a British pub lunch is. No where near as good as a really good pub in the UK but not too bad at all considering.

Gillian

DH and I would love to try the Pub....but we are on the Caribbean with only one sea day...if we miss it, any chance they would have it on port days since the cruise is so port intensive? Thanks!

Highly unlikely.

Thanks, everyone, for these answers. I can't WAIT to eat there!! Sounds fantastic! Luckily we're going to be in London and Falmouth, England, as well as Dublin, Ireland and Belfast, N.I. so hopefully I'll get plenty of pub grub, which I love. While I was growing up, my mom made Steak & Kidney pie for us all the time (using lamb kidneys, which is correct) and I've never had it since, but always loved it. And that Ploughman's lunch sounds great too. So many good choices. Ummm. :D

Hi! Will be with you on the cruise and am also looking forward to trying this. Maybe we can get a group of our M&G together for lunch?

Dianna:

The Coral is sister to the Island and it is in the Bayou Pub on Deck 7, Aft, right outside the Universe ShowLounge. Very quiet and not many people - good service and did not feel rushed.

My cabin was aft, just upstairs, very convenient. I think that other pax were just not aware of it.

:D:D;):D:D

Thanks Crown Prince. Can't wait...I love good fish n chips.

Hi! Will be with you on the cruise and am also looking forward to trying this. Maybe we can get a group of our M&G together for lunch?

Hey, that's a great idea! Maybe Paul will list it as a group lunch on the spreadsheet?! I'll suggest it to him.

I was going to scan the newish alternate pub lunch menu but DW already has it in her scrap book...so here goes in long hand:

*Breaded Prawns and Chips in a Basket

*Chicken Curry

*Steak & Kidney Pie

*Scotch Egg & Salad

Dessert....Sherry Trifle

We had a couple of pub lunches on the Coral last September. No waiting, quick service and very nice. The portions were not too big either, which was perfect for us - although we did notice that some tables were ordering two different items each. No puddings with the Pub lunches on that cruise, though.

Nice to see they have added Bread & Butter pudding .... if cooked well one of my favourites. I agree with Gillian, though. No chocolate!!

Looking forward to trying the expanded menu.

Barbara

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

From the Emerald Princess: Fish and Chips; Bangers and Mash

The Fish & Chips doesn't look too clever..!! The batter on the fish is far too heavy and the chips look dry.

Come to think of it, the mash looks a bit watery too.

The pub lunches on the Island Princess in April were a highlight of our cruise.

1. The food was delicious

2. The food was served quickly

3. The Bayou Cafe was never crowded, so we always had prime seating next to a window

The pub lunches were not well-publicized on the Island (only a small blurb in the Patter), so there never were many people there. So, keep your eyes peeled for the Pub Lunch options and don't miss it!

Also, scotch eggs were served on our cruise and that was a treat for my husband.

Archived