Ventura - formal evening question

kitchens

Hi, we booked earlier in the year for my parent's to go on the Thomson Dream in September. Due to the issues with the ship, I am thinking of changing to the P&O Ventura. It will be my Dad's 80th birthday whilst he is away and that's why I want it to be a really good holiday for my parents. Thomson have tried to reassure us that the issues will be resolved but I need to pay the balance of the holiday in about 1 week's time and I am still hesitating about changing it. I went on the P&O Arcadia recently for the first time and loved it, hence my inclination to book them on a P&O one instead. The only problem is that my father does not have a dinner suit, he would however dress smartly on a formal evening in a smart dark suit and tie but he doesn't want to go to the hassle of acquiring a dinner suit which he will only wear twice on the ship - would he look out of place in an ordinary smart suit?? Any help greatly appreciated!

I was on there in June. On formal nights most people do dress in a dinner suit ( had mine including shirt and bow tie for about £65 from Matalan - as have many other cruisers it seems) But there are still people with a nice suit and tie.

In the minority maybe but way out of place no.

If its your Dad's 80th birthday I am sure that they will just make a fuss of him --- even if he was in shorts and a t shirt !!!! It will be HIS day and I am sure that he will be made to feel special.

The clothes are the least of it --- ( being 80 is far more important - so my parents told me when they were 80 !!!!!! )

Have a fantastic cruise and have many memories to treasure

:D

Thanks to all of you who have responded, this is really helpful. I have now cancelled my parents cruise on the Thomson Dream and rebooked them on the Ventura, they are departing on 11th September. Thank you for all your comments and assistance, I will let you know how they get on!!

As this is a 14 night cruise, they will have four formal nights so whatever he has decided to wear will get more outings than it would have done on the Dream!

You could always treat him to a dinner jacket for his birthday!! If he's anything like my dad (80 next February) it's hard to come up with something he hasn't already got for a birthday present!

Carol x

Archived