Serenade Junior Suite Balcony Question (or Radiance class JS in general)

We have a Jr. Suite (1040) on our B2B cruise for next May. I've noticed that there's a big "roof" over the balcony which is really the deck above jutting out. From diagrams online, it looks like this roof might jut out as far as the depth of the cabin itself (of course, those diagrams aren't always to scale)?

Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like from the balcony? Does it completely obstruct views of the sky?

Last time we were on a Radiance class ship (Jewel in '05), we were in an E class cabin all the way forward which had no issues with balcony views... almost no roof above, and the lifeboat cover "deck" was too far aft to be an issue.

Cheers,

Paul

Ever balcony is "covered" by the deck above...they are all the same. You will have plenty of light...not necessarily full sun, but lots of light. When you're standing on the rail you will have a fine view upward. Even when sitting, you'll be able to look out and up....

Likewise with the lifeboats below...they are mounted under the balconies, but they really don't obstruct your view...you simply won't be able to see the hull of the ship...not a big deal at all.

We have a Jr. Suite (1040) on our B2B cruise for next May. I've noticed that there's a big "roof" over the balcony which is really the deck above jutting out. From diagrams online' date=' it looks like this roof might jut out as far as the depth of the cabin itself (of course, those diagrams aren't always to scale)?

Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like from the balcony? Does it completely obstruct views of the sky?

Last time we were on a Radiance class ship (Jewel in '05), we were in an E class cabin all the way forward which had no issues with balcony views... almost no roof above, and the lifeboat cover "deck" was too far aft to be an issue.

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

I was in the EXACT same JS, 1040 on Jewel last month. The roof on the balcony didn't obstruct sky views, I hardly noticed it. And the ladder you might see mentioned was hardly noticeable. You have a great location!!

I was in the EXACT same JS, 1040 on Jewel last month. The roof on the balcony didn't obstruct sky views, I hardly noticed it. And the ladder you might see mentioned was hardly noticeable. You have a great location!!

Yikes! Is that ladder always at the same location? I thought that was one of those cleaning ladders that they slid back and forth! It looks like it's two or three cabins away, but doesn't that obstruct views in those cabins? Or am I right that it moves to where they need to paint/clean?

Replies to others:

As for sky views, they are always the best up top, I guess... or on the bow if you are still allowed there at night on Radiance class ships. (many ships aren't letting you there at night anymore... some even not by day)

Aft Junior suites are full, but thanks for the advice on these!

Cheers,

Paul

Yikes! Is that ladder always at the same location? I thought that was one of those cleaning ladders that they slid back and forth! It looks like it's two or three cabins away' date=' but doesn't that obstruct views in those cabins? Or am I right that it moves to where they need to paint/clean?

Replies to others:

As for sky views, they are always the best up top, I guess... or on the bow if you are still allowed there at night on Radiance class ships. (many ships aren't letting you there at night anymore... some even not by day)

Aft Junior suites are full, but thanks for the advice on these!

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

On Radiance, the window washing equipment is secured between JS 1038 and GS 1036. I don't know if it's the exact same place on Serenade but I'd guess so. These cabins will be marked as having an obstructed view on the RCI website. We were in 1036 and it didn't bother my view at all - it made banging noises the first night - someone must have complained because it was secured the rest of the time.

The very large overhang annoyed me a little the first time I saw it but over all I like it for weather related reasons. It's cooler and dry in the rain. It DOES get in the way of some great pictures but I've learned to make some camera adjustments - mainly with the zoom - to eliminate it from some pictures. Other times I leave it in the pictures for perspective.

We have always been allowed full access to the helicopter pad (on Radiance) except when seas were especially rough. Our friends went out there one night in the last year - very late - and enjoyed laying flat on their backs and watching shooting stars...and allegedly other odd non-lightening related flashes that they claimed must have been UFOs. :)

Gina

Edited by mommabean

On Radiance, the window washing equipment is secured between JS 1038 and GS 1036. I don't know if it's the exact same place on Serenade but I'd guess so. These cabins will be marked as having an obstructed view on the RCI website. We were in 1036 and it didn't bother my view at all - it made banging noises the first night - someone must have complained because it was secured the rest of the time.

The very large overhang annoyed me a little the first time I saw it but over all I like it for weather related reasons. It's cooler and dry in the rain. It DOES get in the way of some great pictures but I've learned to make some camera adjustments - mainly with the zoom - to eliminate it from some pictures. Other times I leave it in the pictures for perspective.

We have always been allowed full access to the helicopter pad (on Radiance) except when seas were especially rough. Our friends went out there one night in the last year - very late - and enjoyed laying flat on their backs and watching shooting stars...and allegedly other odd non-lightening related flashes that they claimed must have been UFOs. :)

Gina

Gina,

Thank you for the comments; they really helped! Btw- could you post a picture of what that looks like with the overhang?

Cheers,

Paul

Gina' date='

Thank you for the comments; they really helped! Btw- could you post a picture of what that looks like with the overhang?

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

Paul,

Can you believe that in 2 whole weeks with a GS balcony, I only took 2 pictures out there? It was quite cold going around South America so the thousand plus pictures were taken elsewhere. I am uploading those 2 pictures so you can see us and our next door neighbors and friends (more fun cruise critic people) on the other side of the window washing equipment. I reached in front of the thing so it's not in the picture. I should have taken a picture of it. What was I thinking?

Gina

Paul,

Can you believe that in 2 whole weeks with a GS balcony, I only took 2 pictures out there? It was quite cold going around South America so the thousand plus pictures were taken elsewhere. I am uploading those 2 pictures so you can see us and our next door neighbors and friends (more fun cruise critic people) on the other side of the window washing equipment. I reached in front of the thing so it's not in the picture. I should have taken a picture of it. What was I thinking?

Gina

:D

Gina, thank you so much for the pix!

I think we'll keep the Jr Suite we have.

Friends of ours are in 1540... is there a ladder on the other side in the same location?

Cheers,

Paul

:D

Gina' date=' thank you so much for the pix!

I think we'll keep the Jr Suite we have.

Friends of ours are in 1540... is there a ladder on the other side in the same location?

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

I do believe it's the exact same mirror location on the other side.

Gina

• 3 years later...