Alaska cruise ship dress codes?

crazy4cruisn

Notwithstanding individual opinions, I believe that HAL remains silent on this issue so I assmume they are permitted. And besides...HAL does not really enforce their dress codes in any uniform fashion so I assume that it does not really matter. We could care less if you wore jeans.

I read several messages that said HAL now allows nice jeans in the main dining room on nonformal nights. Does it allow nice t-shirts (ie no collar shirts)?

We were on the Oosterdam in Alaska a few weeks ago. Yes, we saw many jean wearing passengers in the MDR on nonformal nights. By the end of the cruise it seemed to be more the norm and that included nicer t-shirts. Doesn't bother me one bit.:)

In my opinion, a nice T-shirt is one of a solid color other than white, with no printing on it, and with a pocket. These I have worn without question on two other cruise lines and plan on doing so on my upcoming cruise. I don't wear it like a slob, I keep my shirt tail tucked in.

In my opinion, a nice T-shirt is one of a solid color other than white, with no printing on it, and with a pocket. These I have worn without question on two other cruise lines and plan on doing so on my upcoming cruise. I don't wear it like a slob, I keep my shirt tail tucked in.

That paints a different picture than I was imagining. The "tucked in" part would add to the look.

I wore black jeans (so new they hadn't even begun to get greyish faded look) one night to dinner in the MDR with a nice black shell and a pretty cardigan in black tan and beige with gold embroidery in it. No one said anything to me, but it was also pretty hard to tell that they were jeans.

I think the biggest gripe about jeans is about the ragged condition some of them are in. If you're wearing good jeans that aren't faded and have no holes in them, I doubt anyone will say anything. At least this has been the condition of the jeans I wore on cruises past and will continue to wear on cruises future. No one has ever said anything bad to me about them.

I wore jeans tonight to a meeting and then to a nice local restaurant. As we were leaving the restaurant, a friend noticed that I might have sat on something that was now on my jeans. She called them "slacks."

Sure enough, my lovely dark brown jeans had picked up some food that must have been in the chair where I sat.

It was interesting to me that my friend did not identify that I was wearing "jeans."

There are jeans, and then there are "jeans."

I saw many jeans on our recent Alaska cruise, but I still dress up for 'smart casual nights'. The only night I wore dressy jeans was the first evening, and I wore it with a nice sweater and dressy shoes. Like above, I believe there are jeans and there are 'jeans'. I only saw one instance of trying to enforce dress code and it was a formal night, they eventually let him in after much argument, even though he was quite casual (they shouldn't have, but that is JMO, and a completely difference discussion).

Archived