Best dining time

JaniceB

Janice-

If your kids want to participate in Club HAL after dinner, you need to have early seating. We like Main seating, upper level and as a result our daughter misses some of the activities if she dines with us. Given that our kids don't really care to go to the dining room anyway, we often let her order room service (which she loves) or one of us takes her to the casual dining option in the Lido. This way she doesn't miss her Club HAL activities.

You should be fine with either the 5:45 or 6:15 seatings. :)

We've got 6:15 seating for everyone but my Sis and son on the next cruise. They are currently waitlisted, but I hope they can somehow join our table. I figured it would give the kids plenty of time for their activites after dinner. :cool:

I agree, the 6:15 pm seating is best so the children can enjoy the Club HAL activities. We made the mistake, a few years ago on the Veendam, of taking the 8:15 pm seating with the kids. They opted to go to the Club HAL activities instead of eating with us in the dining room. They missed the great dining experience of cruising, so our next family cruise, we are getting the 6:15 pm seating so the kids get the best of both worlds.

Do you have the reservations tied together? If you do that, I think you have more of a chance of the rest of the family clearing waitlist for the dining time.

Yes KAKcruiser we surely do! I am thinking that they will be willing to accommodate us if they can at all possible. Thanks for the suggestion!:cool:

2 questions

Do those who enjoy a later seating see the shows after their dinner?

Are the dishes cooked to order or are the later diners get overcooked food?

yes, there are two shows a night.

Nothing in the dining room is "cooked to order" - it's banquet food. But it's rarely overcooked, also. Each seating is treated as a seperate banquet.

When I made my reservation I ask for the second early seating. I was hoping I had made the right choice, now I just have to wait until I receive my documents to check the time assigned. Can I find out the time before my documents arrive?

When I made my reservation I ask for the second early seating. I was hoping I had made the right choice, now I just have to wait until I receive my documents to check the time assigned. Can I find out the time before my documents arrive?

You will either:

find an envelope with the assignment when you enter your cabin, or

have it included in your packet when you check in.

(method depends on ship/port.)

We got our docs:D We have 8:30 seating:D in the lower main. I guess we can always choose to see the show 1st and leave for dinner, or nap after tea and make it a late night. I always felt that the later you eat on vacation the longer the vacation seems.

What's the difference between lower and upper on the Westerdam.

What's the difference between lower and upper on the Westerdam.

Aside from the Lower DR being somewhat larger than the Upper the main difference is the dining times. On most of the ships the times are as follows or close to it:

Early Upper: 5:45

Early Lower: 6:15

Main Upper: 8:00

Main Lower: 8:30

Archived