World Cruise question

Rum Rat

This is a question I posed a couple of years back on another cruise site, which, at the time, had quite a following and there was quite a response. Afraid that site has all but died and with 'new' people here, and quitea lot of activity I thought I would pose it again.

"Under what circumstances would you abort a World Cruise?"

I would be interested in your answers as my Daughter and Son in Law are doing the Worldie on Arcadia starting January :)

Tom it could be either, but my main thought was to abort the cruise once you were on it. What would make you return home and cut the cruise short?

Well, the things that might me make cut any holiday short:

a) the death of a close family member;

b) serious, life-threatening accident to a close family member;

c) accident to myself or my wife during the cruise.

I suppose in the context of a long cruise there's another possibility, isn't there? - leaving the cruise temporarily but returning to it at a later port of call. Things that might make me do that would include:

a) something that made it essential that I attend to my home: i.e. news of a break-in, or damage to it;

b) funeral of a not-so-close family member.

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?

""Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?""

Thank you Tom

Let's see what others think. I question some of your reasons in one way or another. That is not to disagree with them, but is your presence really required? What have you done/prepared before you left? What good will your presence be after an event?

What a shame. Quite an interesting thread was formed last time.

Two silly childish remarks seem to have killed this one :(

Which raises the question, 'Has the type of cruiser changed over the last five years?'

Which raises the question, 'Has the type of cruiser changed over the last five years?'

Hopefully the type is steering away from the "blue rinse brigade" and old moaners like you. The days of cruising being excusively for the OAPs are gone I hope.

I agree with Andy, I would cancel if Rum Rat were on it.

His comments above made up my mind.

Have you had a senese of humour bypass?

Please lighten up.

Hopefully the type is steering away from the "blue rinse brigade" and old moaners like you. The days of cruising being excusively for the OAPs are gone I hope.

And Andy, I hope the new brigade are more like you!

Cheers

Gerry

Don't worry, if you ever are on a cruise with Rum Rat he will ignore you, as he did us, even though our paths had crossed previously.

There's now to strange as folk, they say.

Merlin, I have just realised Rum Rat is Mike Crowe.

A lot became clear when I found that out, seemingly a leopard cannot change its spots!

Cheers

Gerry

Need to watch what I say as I have already had a post removed for insulting Rum Rat although it was tongue in cheek. I think the forum police were a bit strict on that one. The only reason I posted the comment was beacause of the way he "spoke" in another thread to a lady who was asking for advice about having to change her cruise plans. He was down right rude.

I am away on Oceana next week. First time out of the UK for seven years (we have a caravan) as it is my 40th and I want to have a proper holiday. Travelled 600 miles to Cornwall the last three years and had torrential rain. Had to talk my wife into it but some of her friends at her work cruise twice or three times a year and have told her she will love it and will want to do it again. So now we are all very excited. I think I will really like it and I am looking forward to meeting other like minded people that have done it all before. (of all ages!)

Andy, you'll learn about Rum Rat soon enough, our dear Mike C likes a whinge! :)

I love Oceana, it is my favourite ship, had so many good times on her. I hope you have a great time on her.

Cheers

Gerry

Merlin, I have just realised Rum Rat is Mike Crowe.

A lot became clear when I found that out, seemingly a leopard cannot change its spots!

Cheers

Gerry

You didn't recognise the posting style then, or rather the copy and pasting style!!

What an interesting question Rum Rat. :cool:

Perhaps life threatening illness/accident of a close family member would be one reason to return home or indeed illness to yourself.

Makes you realise how important it is to have travel insurance which gives cover for such things on long cruises.

Sad to say none of us know what could happen when away for a long time. :mad:

""indeed illness to yourself.""

Thanks MrsTW

I feel that any illness to yourself, someone else would decide to abort the cruise 'if' you were not able to decide. I was mainly aiming at 'your' choice to abort.

Serious illness or accident back home? How 'serious'?

When I posed this question before, one of the people had a disabled daughter who had her 'ups and downs' over a period of time and she said that would be a reason to abort if daughter had a serious 'down'.

(I happen to know this person, have cruised with them and been to parties with them and other cruisers so could understand.

"Hi to any of the old gang. Nige, Gill, Wanda etc"):D

Archived