Sea sick pills

stulou

Hi all

A few months ago I asked about sea sickness and someone recommended a tablet Yvonne wrote it down but cannot find it anywhere,can anyone give me the name of a good tablet better to be safe than sorry :( mind you could do with some memory pills ;) :) We're really looking forward to it all now Yvonne has "The dresses" :confused: what a nightmare that was the miles we have covered I could tell you what county has what shops :rolleyes:

Stugeron :)

However, the amount of rough seas you will encounter which warrant a tablet is small. Just think about it, if cruise ships tossed about all the time which sent their passengers for their tablets and laying them low, would cruising be ""THAT"" popular?

;)

Don't take too many with you. we took either 2 or 3 packets when we went on a World Cruise. Still got them, unopened half a dozen cruises later :p

With the cruise ships being stabalised, I have seen it rougher on the Isle of Wight ferry

I agree with Rum Rat and although you probably want to take some of your own it would be easy to get hold of them on the ship if the need arose. My grandfather worked on the liners crossing from Liverpool to New York in the 1920s, without a problem, but when he married and worked for a short time on the Isle of Man Ferry he had to stop because he couldn't cope with the rough seas! He always recommended eating dry toast when seasick though I have never had to try it myself.

I think it depends which ship you will be cruising on - some have much better stabilisiation than others. I'm usually a bad traveller and have spent some miserable times on board some ships, but I'm recently back from a cruise on Aurora in the North Atlantic, where wind speed was force 9/10 with rough seas and I hardly noticed anything. I bought ginger snaps and ginger chews from health food store and had some before boarding. For a couple of days I had these first thing in the morning and before going to bed. I never needed anything else after that and was fine for all 18 days.

"on Aurora in the North Atlantic, where wind speed was force 9/10 with rough seas and I hardly noticed anything."

Can second that. I have a video somewhere of such conditions and a mug of tea on the balcony handrail with the tea hardly moving.

By measuring with the eye where the tops of the waves were when we were in the trough and then where the trough was when we were on the top, I calculated the waves were somewhere between 30 and 35 feet high. Later when we were with the Captain I mentioned the waves and asked him what height they were 'Ooo about um 7 to 10 Metres'

Aurora, built for the job.:)

Tell Yvonne next time to have a look on ebay for dresses.... I buy designer dresses for a fraction of the new price (some with tags on and never worn). Then if they need an alteration I get my dressmaker to do it, soooo much cheaper than spending a couple of hundred on each dress! Back to sea sickness, any of the over the counter tabs are fine but if you get out in the fresh air and walk on deck, best thing I reckon... Jo

Just returned from 2 weeks in the med on oceana. First cruise - fabulous experience. However with regard to sea sick tablets, I read that boots own ones were recommended and bought a pack. Luckily we didn't need them but many people did - over about 4 days. I was able to trade sea sick tablets for anti histimines after developing a nasty reaction to the sun or suncream which meant I had to keep covered for about 5 days.... not sure if that makes me somekind of drug dealer but the trade in was worth it :)

Well thanks everyone for your brill advise being first time cruisers need all the help and advise we can get :) although we are so looking forward to setting sail ;) on 25/10/10 quite abit apprehensive you know " have we got this have we got that " :D or " will this happen will that " :confused: and me ( Yvonne ) I'm one of these take that just in case, you never know :rolleyes: by the time we get away I'm exhausted :D.Thanks again everyone.Roy and Yvonne

I'm going on Azura tomorrow morning (Fri 16th July) and with all these winds and rain I'm a bit apprehensive now, as for a change I'm sailing up to Ireland and then down over the bay of biscay to Bilbo and back to France... So have the Irish sea and the bay to contend with in the next few days :o

I am taking Stugeron15 (from Boots) and bought a pkt of ginger biscuits!

WISH ME LUCK!:eek:

Sue:)

You will not find much in the way of sea sickness tablets in the on board shop. They prefer you to visit the medical centre for an injection/tablets, which incur huge costs, way and above what you would pay for such medication in the UK. Also, just slightly above the threshold of the £50 or so excess that you could claim on your insurance.

Stugeron and Phenergan are the best, but thankfully, we have hardly ever needed them, even in a few force 12's. Needed them once in a force 7, so it just proves that it is not the force but the swell, combined with a strong wind, that may be a contributing factor in sea sickness.

Archived